The Magic Highlighter is a Safari Extension that automatically highlights search terms and phrases on search result web pages. Find what you've been searching for!
Introducing the Magic Highlighter, a Safari Extension for iPhone, iPad, and Mac that automatically highlights search terms and phrases on search result web pages. Find what you’ve been searching for.
* Supports all popular search engines, including Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Ecosia, Neeva, Kagi, and Brave Search!
* %100 private! All data processed on-device, with no data collection
* Automatically highlight search terms and phrases on search result web pages
* Full replacement for the "Find in page" share sheet action, and the ⌘-F keyboard shortcut!
* Use the ⌘-Shift-F keyboard shortcut on Mac and iPad (with external keyboard) to change highlight colors, and disable highlights for specific terms and phrases
* Supports highlighting MULTIPLE terms and phrases
Long-overdue bugfixes, with more coming soon...
* Fixed issue with Magic Highlights on DuckDuckGo
* Fixed background color styling issues, hopefully including issue where The Magic Highlighter was causing problems with other Safari Extensions that apply "dark mode" styling to websites that don't natively support it.
* Fixed bug that could prevent phrase deletion (⌘-Shift-F + D)
* Fixed selected phrase styling (⌘-Shift-F + ↑ or ↓ arrows); the actively selected phrase should now appear as bold text
* Fixed an issue that prevented ⌘-Click support, and overall improved click handling
* Fix dark mode styles for magic highlight toggle and options icons
Ratings and Reviews
How do I hide the highlights?
Great concept. Seems like there should be a simple way to hide ALL the highlights. I see that you can click each individual word from the search query to hide each individually, but if you have a long search query, this is tedious. Seems to me that the "Highlighted Phrases (##)" should be a clickable toggle that hides/shows ALL of the highlighted words.
If this feature already exisits, please let me know!
I like it but could use enhancements
This app works as advertised, but I find myself being annoyed with it because I can't quickly turn it off (or set it to be off by default and just turn it on when needed). I don't want to have to disable to whole plugin or click each word in my search terms to turn it off each time. I would love it if there was a toggle switch that I could default to the off position, and when I want to it on I can flip to see everything just like it works now. Or even if I could snooze it for a while. There are times I do searches that I don't need terms hightlighted to see what I am looking for. If these ideas (or something similar) get added, I'll update this to 5 stars.
Cool concept, tweaks would make it perfect
I love this idea of introducing a visual continuity betwen my searches and the links I click on.
One thing I've noticed is that the highlights can be a bit noisy depending on the search and destination.
Some ideas to improve this:
- Option to only activate on queries with greater than X number of words
- Option to ignore stop words ("the", "a", "an", etc.)
- Option to only add highlights if the query is found fewer than X times on the page
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Herd Works Inc
- 6.5 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.14 or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Herd Works Inc
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.