The New York Times 12+
Breaking National & World News
The New York Times Company
- Offers In-App Purchases
Understand the world around you with original reporting from The New York Times. Free to download, The Times app lets you tap into expert coverage from 1700 journalists in 160 countries worldwide. From breaking news to opinion, business, tech and the arts, subscribers get unlimited access to groundbreaking reporting, analysis and commentary.
Be the first to know about major events and must-read stories with the following features:
• Wake up with The Morning, your a.m. guide to what’s happening and why it matters. It’s the news you need to start your day.
• Live Briefings bring you moment-by-moment updates on developing stories, from experts in the field.
• For You is a space for discovery, where you can relax with articles, games and guides based on your interests. Save your favorites to read later on any device.
• Absorb the facts fast and experience stories in new ways with innovative graphics and data visualizations.
• Keep up with the latest news at a glance with the NYT widget. You’ll get the latest headlines right on your homescreen.
• Enjoy a little escape with our Mini Crossword, Spelling Bee and puzzles throughout the day. Save your game and return to finish whenever convenient.
• Listen to our original podcasts, including “The Daily,” ‘The Ezra Klein Show” and “Hard Fork.”
• Keep your friends and colleagues informed with the ability to share articles, photos and videos on your favorite social platforms.
DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS:
Enjoy everything we offer with a New York Times All Access subscription — News, plus Games, Cooking, Wirecutter and The Athletic. All together.
Prefer News only? Subscribe now for reporting, analysis, opinion and culture. See our subscription offers for further details.
PAYMENT AND AUTOMATIC RENEWAL TERMS:
IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK TIMES VIA THIS APP, PAYMENT WILL BE CHARGED BY APPLE TO YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT AT CONFIRMATION OF PURCHASE. YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CHARGED FOR RENEWAL AT THE APPLICABLE RATE SHOWN TO YOU AT THE TIME OF SUBSCRIPTION EVERY CALENDAR MONTH (FOR MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS) OR EVERY YEAR (FOR ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS) WITHIN 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD. YOU WILL BE CHARGED IN ADVANCE. YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW EACH MONTH OR YEAR UNLESS IT IS CANCELED AT LEAST 24-HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. TO CANCEL, PLEASE TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT LEAST 24-HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. YOU CAN TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT ANY TIME FROM YOUR ITUNES ACCOUNT SETTINGS. CANCELATION TAKES EFFECT AT THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD.
BY DOWNLOADING THE NEW YORK TIMES APP, you agree to:
• The automatic renewal terms stated above.
• The New York Times California Privacy Notices: http://www.nytimes.com/privacy/california-notice
• The New York Times Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
• Apple Terms of Sale: https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. Basic Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
We've made it easier to find what you're looking for. Search results now include relevant videos, interactive graphics, and quizzes. Type anything into the search bar at the top of the Sections tab to get started. For any questions, feedback or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com.
Ratings and Reviews
Love the app, miss most popular
I am a product director on another large scale mobile app, and I love the NYT app. It’s visually appealing and thoughtful and I appreciate so many of the changes you guys have made throughout the past years. My only wish, is that you stop moving the “most popular” articles section. First it was a carousel (my favorite), then you limited it to a list view of only 4, then it was moved to a completely different part of your navigation and I had to search for it, and now it’s gone. I can’t find it. I enjoy seeing what’s most read for several reasons and am bummed it’s gone. If I could make one request, please bring this back to your timeline.
An additional comment - I find your newer navigation confusing. You’ve essentially moved the whole navigation under “browse”, not an immediately obvious title for this. And “for you” is not relevant to me, what I read, or what I do. I literally play spelling bee every, single, day and hate that I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of timeline (while it’s updating which pushes me up the timeline, to only have to scroll down more) to get to it. If “for you” was really stuff I use, it should have spelling bee but it doesn’t.
This is the only app review I’ve ever written, i promise. And I’m writing it more because I love the content and the app but wish these few things could change. Leaving feedback because I’m hoping it’s helpful!
Latest “upgrade” is a downgrade
As content, the NYT can’t be beat. But this latest “resdesign” of the app is bad enough to make me write a review for the first time. In a word it is over-designed. When scrolling through the main page, it will suddenly “readjust”, meaning an ad has loaded somewhere in the feed and you have lost your place as it races upwards for you to view it. Once is bad but this happens a couple of times in a single scroll.
When you read an article, the new design has changed the place of the back arrow for part of the navigation but is not the same throughout. I don’t like playing guess where the arrowis. But the biggest and reoccurring issue is the Sections page. What used to be a clear list of sections has now been buried under blocks of articles the NYT wants to spotlight for whatever reason. If I scrolled past it the first time, I don’t need to scroll past it again. I’m here to find a particular section, I know what I want.
Finally, the NYT really, really needs to work on the accuracy of their search function. It is ludicrous that I can’t find an article from 3 days ago using specific keywords. For such great content, it’s criminal to make it disappear. Please do better, NYT!!!
Not as intuitive as it once was
The NYT is full of great and varied content, so this review is not about the content, just the app. They’ve made a few updates to the UI in the past few months, each making the app less intuitive. I used to view my history or saved articles a lot when I didn’t have time to finish reading a good story. This used to be easily accessible in a side menu. Now it’s way more hidden, and I have to click a bunch of times to get to it. I can never remember where it is.
Also, the back button is now on the bottom of the screen for most articles, except when you view certain articles like through wire cutter. Everytime I want to click back at the top of the screen (where the back button is located on nearly every UI), it’s not there. Sometimes there is a back button at the top of the screen when you click on a link through the article. I clicked on this to bring me back to the article, but instead it took me to the front page. And then I couldn’t find the article that I was just reading. Frustrating!
These are just examples and sound like small, nit-picky things, but when you are constantly trying to figure out where to click, it adds time and makes the app annoying to use. I wish the UI developers prioritized common sense changes rather than just making the app “prettier.”
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The New York Times Company (iDP)
- 83.4 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017, The New York Times Company
- In-App Purchases
- Basic $14.99
- NYTimes.com + Smartphone App $14.99
- News - Monthly $16.99
- Basic - Monthly $16.99
- News - Monthly $16.99
- News $14.99
- Games - Monthly $4.99
- All Access - Monthly $24.99
- Digital Access $14.99
- News - Monthly $14.99