Understand the world around you with original reporting from The New York Times. Free to download, The Times app lets you tap into expert coverage from 1700 journalists in 160 countries worldwide. From breaking news to opinion, business, tech and the arts, subscribers get unlimited access to groundbreaking reporting, analysis and commentary.
Be the first to know about major events and must-read stories with the following features:
• Wake up with The Morning, your a.m. guide to what’s happening and why it matters. It’s the news you need to start your day.
• Live Briefings bring you moment-by-moment updates on developing stories, from experts in the field.
• For You is a space for discovery, where you can relax with articles, games and guides based on your interests. Save your favorites to read later on any device.
• Absorb the facts fast and experience stories in new ways with innovative graphics and data visualizations.
• Keep up with the latest news at a glance with the NYT widget. You’ll get the latest headlines right on your homescreen.
• Enjoy a little escape with our Mini Crossword, Spelling Bee and puzzles throughout the day. Save your game and return to finish whenever convenient.
• Listen to our original podcasts, including “The Daily,” ‘The Ezra Klein Show” and “Sway.”
• Keep your friends and colleagues informed with the ability to share articles, photos and videos on your favorite social platforms.
DIGITAL SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS:
• Basic - unlimited digital access to news and analysis for $16.99* per month or $129.99* per year (save over 25% compared to a monthly subscription).
• All Access - unlimited digital access, plus access to the NYT Games, NYT Cooking, and one bonus digital subscription for $24.99* per month or $199.99* per year.
*Sales taxes may apply
PAYMENT AND AUTOMATIC RENEWAL TERMS:
IF YOU SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW YORK TIMES VIA THIS APP, PAYMENT WILL BE CHARGED BY APPLE TO YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT AT CONFIRMATION OF PURCHASE. YOUR APPLE ID ACCOUNT WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY CHARGED FOR RENEWAL AT THE APPLICABLE RATE SHOWN TO YOU AT THE TIME OF SUBSCRIPTION EVERY 4 WEEKS (FOR MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTIONS) OR EVERY YEAR (FOR ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTIONS) WITHIN 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD. YOU WILL BE CHARGED IN ADVANCE. YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL AUTOMATICALLY RENEW EACH MONTH OR YEAR UNLESS IT IS CANCELED AT LEAST 24-HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. TO CANCEL, PLEASE TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT LEAST 24-HOURS BEFORE THE END OF THE CURRENT PERIOD. YOU CAN TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW AT ANY TIME FROM YOUR ITUNES ACCOUNT SETTINGS. CANCELATION TAKES EFFECT AT THE END OF THE CURRENT BILLING PERIOD.
BY DOWNLOADING THE NEW YORK TIMES APP, you agree to:
• The automatic renewal terms stated above.
• The New York Times California Privacy Notices: http://www.nytimes.com/privacy/california-notice
• The New York Times Terms of Service: https://www.nytimes.com/content/help/rights/terms/terms-of-service.html
• Apple Terms of Sale: https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html
* Promotional offers for new subscribers only. Smartphone and tablet apps are not supported on all devices. Basic Digital Access subscriptions do not include e-reader editions. Prices shown are in U.S. dollars. Other restrictions apply.
This version has general bug fixes and improvements.
For any question, feedback or concern please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and Reviews
Love the app, miss most popular
I am a product director on another large scale mobile app, and I love the NYT app. It’s visually appealing and thoughtful and I appreciate so many of the changes you guys have made throughout the past years. My only wish, is that you stop moving the “most popular” articles section. First it was a carousel (my favorite), then you limited it to a list view of only 4, then it was moved to a completely different part of your navigation and I had to search for it, and now it’s gone. I can’t find it. I enjoy seeing what’s most read for several reasons and am bummed it’s gone. If I could make one request, please bring this back to your timeline.
An additional comment - I find your newer navigation confusing. You’ve essentially moved the whole navigation under “browse”, not an immediately obvious title for this. And “for you” is not relevant to me, what I read, or what I do. I literally play spelling bee every, single, day and hate that I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of timeline (while it’s updating which pushes me up the timeline, to only have to scroll down more) to get to it. If “for you” was really stuff I use, it should have spelling bee but it doesn’t.
This is the only app review I’ve ever written, i promise. And I’m writing it more because I love the content and the app but wish these few things could change. Leaving feedback because I’m hoping it’s helpful!
This App Desperately Needs a Night Mode Display Option
I love the NYT, so this mediocre rating is simply due to the usability/customizability of the app. There is no night mode, which just feels a little behind the times in terms of the various display options that have now become standard in most phone & tablet apps.
I also personally wish there was slightly more customizability in terms of being able to block or hide certain categories of articles from appearing. For example, although we can choose what subjects we are interested in, which will then show up in the “For You” section, I would also love the option of telling the app what NOT to show me when scrolling through the main feed. For me specifically, I don’t like reading Opinion pieces and will never open them, so it’d be great for me in terms of usability if I could just have the app “hide” those when I’m scrolling through (or hide the entire Opinion section). Other people may never read the Entertainment section, or the sports section, etc., so perhaps they’d like to be able to scroll through the main “Today” section without seeing those. It would just be a nice, extra option that could continue to help shape the content to what each reader enjoys the most.
Only works sporadically, can’t zoom, not intuitive
I use a VPN (a mainstream, widely available one) and many apps/sites don’t load properly. NYT’s app is odd because it works occasionally, but not usually—I don’t know if this is because of the VPN or if the app is just bad (but it seems to have a bunch of positive reviews so maybe it’s just me?). When I click on a push notification, it opens the app but only goes to the last article that was open, even if it was several weeks ago. Not useful. Then, if I search for the story, it only sometimes loads. I usually end up just using the website or relying on the morning briefing newsletter (so why am I paying for a subscription??). Another annoying aspect of the app is that you can’t zoom in on photos—I find myself doing this a lot on the website because there are interesting things to see and the phone screen is so small; it’s always a frustrating surprise when I try to zoom on the app and nothing happens. Aside from those specific issues, I also find it a little confusing/unintuitive how to find specific stories. Maybe I should be able to answer some questions about what interests me, and then it curates my home page based on my self-reported likes and my past views/reads. I could then use the “sections” page as a backup. Obviously NYT is the gold standard of journalism, but I’m surprised and irritated every time I remember how bad their app is. The app does look nice—I guess that’s worth +1 star.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Search History
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The New York Times Company (iDP)
- 90.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017, The New York Times Company
- In-App Purchases
- NYTimes.com + Smartphone App $14.99
- Basic $14.99
- Basic $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.