• See all available photo and video metadata: time, location, camera, etc.
• Remove or edit GPS, caption, copyright, and timestamp (requires in-app purchase)
• Open the location (if available) in Waze, Apple, or Google Maps
Use the extension to view photo metadata from Messages, Photos, and other apps.
To edit multiple photos at once, select the first photo, hit Metadata -> Edit, and then under "Bulk Edit" tap "Select Photos"
Photo and video data may include location (if enabled by the camera), date, device, software versions, file size, file name, and more. If there is not metadata about when the picture was taken, you will still see the file creation date.
The photo picker has been vastly improved:
* View your photos on a 3D globe.
* Multiple select to view and edit; or share, favorite/unfavorite, delete
* A globe icon appear over photos and videos with a GPS location.
* Your place will be saved when opening the picker.
* Albums for "GPS Photos" and "No GPS Location"
* Sort photos and videos by Date, Kind, or Length.
* View thumbnails as either squares or with aspect ratio (wide or tall)
* Panoramas albums show the panoramas beautifully at full width.
* Optimized for very large (over 100,000 photos) libraries
* Tap the top navigation bar to scroll to the top of an album. Tap the bottom tab you're in to scroll to the bottom.
* And it looks great! Soon the rest of the app will get a redesign, with added features.
Many bugfixes including:
* Order in Photos is preserved when editing or removing metadata of a photo
Let the Photo Investigator know what you'd like to see in the app by hitting Feedback in the settings.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This App Is Long In The Tooth, but useable
I never do this, but there’s no way through Daniel’s website to submit feedback or ask questions. So: Are there any planned updates for Investigator? I love this app and it has been REALLY helpful in my many projects to convert VHS Home movies and have them placed in my library correctly, ditto for scanned pictures. However, its becoming obvious that the last update was a year ago. Small, obvious, and most annoying example: I can’t split screen investigator on the 12.9” iPad Pro. I have a small list of other things here that aren’t broken, they just aren’t there because of the age of the app. I will happily update my review upon receiving your response. (For reference: I have purchased the in-app “pro” upgrade)
Developer Response ,
FYI: There have been many updates since this review :)
The best metadata app
Photo investigator is the best...and I've tried many. Metadata for photos AND videos. Add back GPS data to photos/videos that have been edited in other apps that remove the data (also edit many other data fields). Access photo/video data from any app with the extension...not only photos and videos saved in your camera roll. Launch the app via URL scheme. Very responsive developer, open to ideas about what might improve the app. Also, get the in-app purchase, it is worth it.
User-friendly But Not Rock Solid
This app has a very nice interface that allows the user to view and edit image metadata quickly and easily. It also has a number of neat features for these edits, such as copying locations from other images or direct lat/long input. Unfortunately, it seems like it doesn’t handle certain simple things such as timestamps properly: it appears that there’s no way to set the time zone on a picture, for example, so pictures I edit from my trips show up out-of-order in my camera roll and images from lunch indicate that they were taken in the middle the night.
- Daniel Anderson
- 12.4 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Danny Anderson
- In-App Purchases
- Complete Unlock
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.