"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun, moon and Milky Way data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of augmented reality, line-of-sight analysis and visual search supports the most sophisticated photo planning needs.
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualize exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favorite photographic locations, using 7 different map types (including 2 offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favorite locations are always displayed right on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic center rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic center for any time of day/night
- Milky Way, stars and asterisms visualization via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Augmented reality view for on location scouting
- Saved location synchronization between devices and the free TPE web app
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available (covering lower 48, southern Canada and Europe) with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Topographic map data is available only between 60°N and 47°S
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- The app itself supports only English language at present
- Augmented reality requires an iPhone 6s (or later), iPad Pro or 2017 model and iOS 11 or later
- Fixes missing moon illumination info in timeline (due to a mystery build issue in the last release)
Please send your questions/suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ratings and Reviews
For City/Landscape Photographs
It is great to show you the elevation and “Flow” of the land. Also it has 4 types of maps showing this in Google & 2 using Apple maps. You can see what you are getting into, but you must remember the this is just a map form yesterday, new trails or changes are not shown. Also the view is of the elevation is great as long as they haven’t built anything or grasses/trees grown too much, which is not true for Charlotte,NC. All this being said, I related the program a 5 Star because it shows you so many points of view, the sun & moon flow in the sky at a specific time and a better location to at least start looking for a good spot to get the frame you want. This program is great for starting a plan from your house and then going out for the picture.
Years of use and service
I think I have been using this app for more than 5 years. I have gotten so many great moon rises both morning and night. It is so helpful for planning shoots. A portrait with the sun or moon in the distance is memorable. It has gotten a little busy over the years with all the features but well worth the extra strain on my aging eyes. The developer loves this app and they put their heart and sole into it trying to make it the best it can be. (App Request: Dummy mode: only display what can be used in the 3 hours.)
Worth every penny and will last you several camera bodies. This is one of the first apps I recommend to my photo friends and install on my new apple devices. Enjoy.
Nothing else like it!
Extremely useful app, if you want to plan your photography for a trip or event. Pick your location-instantly you see sun and moon rise and set times. Tap on the date to pick a future date. Swipe a finger across the display at the bottom to see the direction of sun or moon overlaid on the map-satellite photo help plan the shot, and even tells you if terrain will obstruct your view of eg sunset. I have used it to choose location for a one time trip to the Mackinaw Bridge, as well as look to see where is the closest place to travel for the next solar eclipse.
If you care about getting the most good locations for your photo trip, hands down this is the one to get!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Crookneck Consulting LLC
- 39.6 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2010 – 2022 Crookneck Consulting LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (1-year) $24.99
- Skyfire (3-months) $9.99
- Skyfire Plus (1-year) $34.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months) $12.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (1-year) $14.99
- Upgrade to Skyfire Plus (3-months) $4.99