Get straight to the stories that matter with the Herald app. Top Stories and push notifications keep you up to date with breaking headlines. My News lets you customise your feed, showing the topics you're interested in, in the order you want them.
The app is free to download. You can unlock unlimited access to all content with a Starter Digital subscription through the App Store. To unlock premium features such as Today's Paper and puzzles including Daily Crosswords and Daily Sudoku, you can subscribe to Premium Digital via in-app purchase.
Additional information about Apple subscriptions:
- Purchase of an auto-renewable, monthly subscription is required to access content on The Sydney Morning Herald app
- Starter Digital subscriptions are available for AU$14.99 per month (or local currency equivalent)
- Premium Digital subscriptions are available for AU$24.99 per month (or local currency equivalent)
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes App Store Account Settings after purchase
- Your iTunes account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period
- Terms and conditions: https://www.smh.com.au/digital-subscription-terms
We’re always making updates and improvements to the Herald app. In this release we’ve made some bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Great insight into Australia and the World
Even overseas, I am able to keep up Aussie news and how Aussies view happenings from Beijing to London to Washington DC.
Serious commentary on World events including the box Boris Johnson has painted himself into, now only if he could paint a door...
Doesn’t have full functionality (comments) of Web page
Seems weird that SMH have provided this app supposedly for a optimised experience on iPad/iPhone yet it doesn’t have all the functionality found on the Web version.
Where are the comments after the articles and how can i make them on the app???
To use the app you have to have a subscription so you are paying for something that is less than what you would get on the free webpage?
Not a great option if you want all the features you find on the web page and as a subscriber I feel a little ripped off because of that.
Good articles, timely and interesting.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Fairfax Media Management Pty Ltd.
- 122.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Fairfax Digital Australia & New Zealand Pty Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Starter Digital $9.99
- Premium Digital $15.49
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.