The Urantia Book 9+
book of answers, book of life
Upward Inward Outward
- Offers In-App Purchases
Quietly, with little fanfare, this mysterious and thought-provoking book came about more than half a century ago — a book about life's purpose. Reviews from www.amazon.com...
"Both otherworldly and down to earth, both simple and sophisticated, both soothing and shaking... I can describe it using a thousand words and still not begin to describe it. There is nothing like it in print, that's for sure."
"A monumental piece of work that clearly was meticulously crafted."
"I most appreciate the wisdom in this book, both in quantity and quality, I have not read anything that even comes close."
"If you have been searching for inspiration, this book is alive."
"Best book on the planet — and has satisfied my every question."
(After 20+ years on Amazon and a combined 2000+ written reviews, 4.5 out of 5 stars.)
No person is credited as the author. How did this strange but relentlessly detailed and expansive book come to be written? Is it wisdom literature or sci-fi? In methodical prose, it lays out an epic story that has intrigued many people who have come across it.
The application includes:
- Full unabridged book in six languages (no network access needed to use, all is installed on your iPhone / iPad / iPod)
- Powerful search engine custom-designed for the book
- Random quotes feature with thousands of quotes
- Sharing through social media, text messaging, and email
- Text to speech - let the app read the book to you
- Bilingual support to show two languages side-by-side at the same time. Text-to-speech is also fully supported in bilingual mode for each language.
- Night mode and sepia for easier reading
- Options to adjust font type, text size, and margins
- Easy navigation system using detailed table of contents
- Reference numbers in the text optionally can be switched on, with multiple types of reference numbers to choose from.
- Page numbers for the English text that match the pagination of the most popular print edition (pages 1 - 2,097).
- While reading, a bookmark is added by double-tapping on the navigation bar title (for instance, "Paper 160" in the screenshots you can see here on the App Store). Bookmarks can also be added using the History rows. Tap the blue star on the right side of a History row to bookmark that location.
- By triple-tapping on a navigation bar title, you can conveniently switch night mode on and off. This also works in the Quotes section of the app.
- Helpful tips while reading quotes: Swiping left and right gives you the next quote or lets you see a previous one. Alternatively, simply double-tap on a quote to go to the next one. These gestures are especially useful on devices with larger screens, compared to reaching for the "New" button.
The book is free to read. For app requests and comments, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Enjoy.
"The majority of impoverished souls are truly rich, but they refuse to believe it."
If you subscribe to access search, payment will be charged to your iTunes account, and your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the subscription period. Auto-renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your settings in the iTunes Store after purchase. For your convenience, a link that will open your account settings is provided within the app. Current subscription prices are: Basic Search $0.99/2 months; Full Search (Basic & Advanced) $1.49/2 months; Full Search + Donation $2.99/2 months; Full Search + Extra Donation $4.99/2 months. Prices are in US dollars, and may vary in countries other than the United States. If you do not want to subscribe to Search, you still can continue to read the book for free.
- Search engine is even faster
- App takes up less space on your device
- New feature: Text alignment option in Settings to toggle whether text should be justified (off by default)
- New gesture: Swipe to see next quote
- Optimizations for iOS 14 and the newest iPhone devices
- Critical bug fixes, including compatibility updates to resolve a few crashes seen after upgrading to the latest iOS version
If any issues are noted, don't hesitate to reach out through the support URL.
A big thank you to all the supporters of the app through the search feature subscription. Your support is greatly appreciated and has helped keep this project going.
Ratings and Reviews
Spiritual wisdom for any age..
This four chapter book simply defies any simple explanation. This does not imply complex intelligence and aptitude to understand and follow the truths that are presented so beautifully. There are simple as well as complex presentations on a vast scale to anyone employing a fiery curiosity as well as a modicum of dedication to understanding. I personally characterize the 4th chapter as “the thinking mans bible” as regards the deep spiritual content and emotional detail associated with Jesus life in the flesh. There are numerous portions throughout the book that are difficult if not impossible of comprehension but this is not a complaint, just a notation of our limitations of our understanding. There are numerous “gems of wisdom” that stopped me in my tracks as I read them. It became very evident throughout the volumes that “They” have a deep and vast understanding of human nature, our strengths as well as our many weaknesses. The amount of information presented is somewhat overwhelming but given the context of a presentation of cosmic and spiritual realities at a level that we can grasp and understand, this is again, just notation. If you have a fiery curiosity and some level of dedication you will find many answers to your questions .
The Book Tells It All
In my 5th reading I am seemingly reading much of it for the first time. Obviously I am understanding and remembering more detail. Questions often arise but the next paragraph or the next page or the next paper is where an answer can be discerned.
The Truth of what it tells anchors in the mind almost from the beginning even though the narrative about the vast number of celestial beings is almost incomprehensible at first. Also the span of time that will pass as a mortal awakens in the Morantia levels and commits to undertake the journey to Paradise is beyond comprehension but nevertheless is anchored in the mind as truth believed..
This program enables the reader to set the font type and size and shade of light or darkness to his or her liking. On paper that is not possible. On paper what you see is what you get.
The Urantia Book speaks to the individual at whatever level one is able to understand. From simple ability to advanced intellectual level it tells its story. It tells it all. It tells it all to me and to you and to everyone no matter who. It is a gift to all. It tells us all how to reach the Universal Father. I hope to see and share the journey with you. Let’s go..
An Interesting Read
I wouldn’t necessarily consider myself a “student” of the Papers per se, but around last spring I became introduced to this cool little volume. I was especially intrigued by its fourth section on the life and teachings of Jesus. As a Christian it was cool to read a kind of “sci-fi Bible” where the story of the Old Testament and the story of the New are all just one part of an overarching cosmic drama that spans eons.
Three suggestions I have for the app are just stylistic choices. I’m a fan of EB Garamond as a font so if there were a few more font selections that’d be dandy. Also maybe a “red text” version (heck maybe a “blue text” version) on the app’s settings where the words of Jesus are in red (a la the Truthbook website) or stand out somehow would be a good touch. A third idea is just one that pleases my OCD brain aesthetically - a justified text option on the settings.
Overall, nice app, nice book, nice story - a cool read, even though I don’t necessarily believe all that it has to say.
Developer Response ,
I went ahead and added a justified text option in the latest version of the app that was just released, version 2.1.0. It can be found in Settings > Text Size and Style. It's toggled off by default.
Adding an additional font like EB Garamond isn't out of the question but I'm unsure how well it covers all the glyphs for the languages that are supported in the app. I may revisit if I can find time. I don't want to crowd the settings with too many font options, and may ultimately select something different if I do add more, but I'll keep in mind EB Garamond as a good contender.
A “red text” version is going to be a fairly labor-intensive feature to add, especially considering the 6 languages supported by the app, each with over a million words of text. I would say this is in a “never say never” category, since it’s been requested now a few times. I don't see being able to make progress on a feature like this soon, especially considering other priorities. This app has had a long life however, 12+ years now (it's one of the oldest apps on the App Store), and suggestions do sometimes come to life many years after they're first made.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Upward Inward Outward LLC
- 65.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2017 Upward Inward Outward
- In-App Purchases
- Full Search (Basic & Advanced) $1.49
- Full Search + Extra Donation $4.99
- Full Search + Donation $2.99
- Basic Search $0.99