Created with the NHS and the UK's Department of Health, The Walk helps you walk more, every single day. When you’re playing The Walk, every step counts.
A bomb explodes in Inverness station, and you’re given a package that could save the world. To stay alive, you’ll need to walk the length of the UK. The Walk is more than just a great pedometer/step counter — it's a way to turn walking into a journey, a challenge, and a rip-roaring adventure.
Made by Six to Start and Naomi Alderman, creators of the world’s most popular running game with over 5 million players, Zombies, Run!
ENGADGET - “Simple, fun, effective.”
JOYSTIQ - "Spices up your step-tracking with some danger and intrigue.”
BBC NEWS - “Encourages users to walk 10,000 steps-a-day to help improve their health”
LIFEHACKER - “You're motivated to actually get up and move around so you can progress further into the story, and it works really well.”
AWESOME ACTIVITY TRACKER
Just put your phone in your pocket or purse and we’ll track every walk and run you take — and map it, too!
You’ll walk the length of the UK while evading capture by the police and enemy agents. Can you work out who set off that bomb in the first place and what their plan is? Get ready for an epic adventure across 65 episodes, 800 minutes of audio, and hundreds of miles.
Get rewarded for walking more by collecting clues, scanning for information, and unlocking achievements.
The Walk adjusts its difficulty based on individual fitness levels. Everyone’s different, and we make sure we give you the right level of challenge!
Comes with the first five episodes and challenges for free, with the remaining 60 unlockable by subscribing to the Abel Runner's Club.
Subscriptions are $5.99 USD/month or $34.99 USD/year. Subscriptions will be charged to your iTunes account after your confirmation of purchase.
Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. You can go to your iTunes Account Settings to manage your subscription and turn off auto-renew. Cancellation of the current active subscription period is not allowed.
- Requires iOS 10.3
- This app integrates with the Health app via Healthkit to read and track your steps and movement data to register your progress in the game
- Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. The Walk uses your phone’s accelerometer to measure your movement, and primarily uses wifi and cell towers to track location. The Walk is designed to use GPS sparingly and should have little to no impact on your battery.
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/thewalkgame
Join our mailing list: http://www.thewalkgame.com
Hello, Walker! In our 2.6.2 release we've:
- Fixed a bug where you wouldn't be able to change a route after abandoning an episode
- Improved handling of Motion & Fitness permission requests
- Improved subscription syncing
- Fixed incorrect subscription expiry date being used
- Fixed minor UI and copy issues
- Added iOS 14 improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Warning : you must pay $5 to finish the rest
I really enjoy this app. I haven't found it to be buggy at all (with one exception that I'll mention later). The voice acting is really impressive and the story is very well done. I love how immersive it is - you really feel like you're in the story if you have headphones in due to the attention to detail (footsteps fading away, someone's voice getting faint as they walk away, background conversation).
I do want to warn you that after you've played a few episodes (3 or 4) you must pay $5 to continue. I find this frustrating as there was no indication that the app wasn't free before that, however I think that for the amount of work they must have put into it the money was well worth it. I am annoyed that the "please pay" prompt prevented me from listening to the final sound clips of the previous episode, so I'm missing some important details and I can't go back. Overall, a very good app and I've already recommended it to a few people.
Please give us a sequel or something! I miss this app! I played this when it first came out and now, years later, I still have fond memories of it and even have a quote saved that I find so incredibly inspirational that I have shared the quote with friends and even patients. “'The sea is like life.' That's what my dad used to say. Sea doesn't care about you. Doesn't know about you. It's gonna try and break you. Not because it hates you... But just because... That's what it is and that's what it does. And you've got to find a boat or learn to swim. And when the big wave come you've got to ride them or you'll drown. That's what happened to you: big wave came, you rode it, didn't drown, might have done, but didn't. . . You were brave and you were strong and you won. Here you are.”
Great idea but missing key features
Someone else wrote essentially the same review but I’d like to uplift it: this is a great idea and I love the Zombies, Run (ZR) app but there are some key differences between these two apps that make this one more difficult to use.
(1) instead of automatically playing the story clip when you’ve gone the requisite amount of steps, which happens in ZR, you have to actually click on the speaker icon. This means that I have to be on my phone every couple of minutes, and for the bonus features you have to be on your phone even more. I’m usually walking my dog or just trying to take in the scenery so this makes me less able to use the app. Even if this were an option you could turn on in settings (to automatically play the clips), that would be great.
(2) in ZR, you can connect your audio so that it plays in the background and is dimmed when the story line goes, and then comes back on automatically when the story clips are over. In this app, there are several minutes of silence and I usually listen to podcasts or music while I’m walking so the silence is kind of boring. If the story clips played continuously, that would be great but then it’s essentially just a podcast. Just having the option to hook up my music to the app so i can listen to both would be wonderful. This is already how ZR works so I’m not sure why it’s not included here.
Otherwise, great story and the quality of the audio clips is amazing. Thanks!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Six to Start
- 336.6 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Six to Start
- In-App Purchases
- Abel Runner's Club $5.99
- Unlock Everything $4.99
- Abel Runner's Club $39.99
- VIP Membership $89.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.