Now with TheSky Fusion remote control access!
Checkout the new nightly imaging planner!
Born in the dawn of the personal computer, TheSky Astronomy Software has long been the astronomer’s companion. A powerful, reliable, and comfortable friend. Now you can enjoy your old pal on your iPad or iPad Mini. Discover new worlds, explore new possibilities, and relive the fascination of the heavens above.
For over thirty years Software Bisque's "TheSky" has set the standard in desktop astronomy software. Now available for your iPad, you can take TheSky with you wherever you go.
* Simulate the sky for any date from year 1900 through 2200 A.D.
* Identify planets, stars, and thousands of other interesting objects.
* Label stars, planets, deep space objects.
* Find and identify the 88 constellations.
* View and find satellites, comets, and asteroids.
* View and predict Iridium Flares for your location.
* Accelerate time to simulate planetary motion.
* View Hertzprung-Russel (HR) diagrams for stars.
* Full red screen mode support to protect your night vision.
* Uses device orientation to help you identify celestial objects.
* Show you the Milky Way galaxy.
* List the most interesting objects that are visible tonight.
* Show you fascinating photographs of astronomical objects.
Updated to run better on the latest iOS platforms
New: TheSky Fusion Integration - Access and control TheSky Fusion imaging runs from your iPad!
New: Flat field tool for use with small refractors, use your iPad as a flat light panel.
New: Planner, add items to your planner and see where they are throughout the night
Removed: Deprecated Iridium flares as orbital elements are no longer available.
Removed TheSkyX Server mode no only allows remote telescope control.
Ratings and Reviews
I have used TheSky for over 20 years and glad to see it finally on iOS. Certainly not as glitzy as some astro-apps, but like the desktop version it is designed for serious astronomers. Can't wait for the Pro version and scope control.
Not a good mobile application
I have been using TheSky X on a macbook pro for a few years, and more recently SkySafari 3 Pro on an ipad 2 for the past couple of years. TheSky is an excellent macintosh app, but it doesn't work as a mobile application.
The fact that this app is only available as for ipad, not iphone, is a big hint that Software Bisque haven't figured out how to present images and information on a small screen. The text and icons are all too big and opaque, so they obscure the stars. The process of selecting an object to get more information is cumbersome and counterintuitive (in ios you tap on things to select them!), and once an object is selected it's completely hidden behind TheSky's big red bullseye.
The app as currently configured lacks many functions available in competing planetarium apps. You can't orbit Jupiter to see where the moons are in their orbits. You can't control your go-to telescope from the app. The sky looks like a printed atlas, not a realistic starscape.
TheSky's great strength is the information it presents about the stars, including spectral type, proper motion, etc. You can even get a plot of each star on the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. If you're a serious student of astronomy, I would suggest purchasing this app as a secondary reference to have at hand at the telescope, but I can't recommend it as a primary planetarium app.
There are several issues.
1) A major problem is that when zoomed in to anything less than a 60º field of view the stars each become a separate red and blue circle, almost like a 3D image.
2) There is no apparent way to adjust the brightness of the alt-az grid or the labels; they are so bright compared to the sky image that the app is barely usable.
3) Magnitude settings seem to make no difference in the number of stars shown.
4) I have an iPad with retina display. This app looks does not have the sharpness that SkySafari does. (The Splash screen looks great, and so do the toolbars, but the sky display itself is bad, appearing almost pixelated.)
Is there any way to get a refund? This app is definitely not worth $4.99 or even $.99
I'm hoping for a quick update to fix these issues; I really wanted to like this app.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Software Bisque, Inc.
- 575.4 MB
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Software Bisque, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.