Thor for iPad puts the mighty Thor synthesizer at your fingertips.
“A truly must-have synth for iPad users of all skill levels” – Keyboard Magazine
"A Synth-Geek’s Dream Synth” - Synthtopia
“A game changing synthesizer for the iPad” - Dubspot
"Thor sounds just as good as its bigger sibling, and its ability to share patches makes it a fantastic tool for portable sound design.” - MusicRadar
Reason's legendary flagship synth delivers a thunderous sound, god-like sound sculpting capabilities and an innovative, lighting-fast keyboard designed for iPad. Thor is a synthesis playground, a flexible sonic workhorse, but above all, an expressive musical instrument for the iPad.
• Play Reason's Thor Polysonic Synthesizer on the iPad.
• Load any of the 1000+ expertly crafted synth patches, or create your own from scratch.
• Create your sounds using a palette of multiple oscillator and filter types.
• Play Thor using an expressive touch interface keyboard with aftertouch and strumming.
• Collapse the keyboard to a key and scale of your choice, just like in Figure.
• Move your favourite patches from the iPad to your computer and use them with Thor in Reason
Thor sounds like no synthesizer you've ever heard before - and every single one of them. Where other synths use one specific form of synthesis and one single filter, the Thor polysonic synthesizer features six different oscillator types and four unique filters. What does this give you? Simply the most powerful synth ever created; an unstoppable monster of a sound generator that utilizes synthesizer technology from the last 40 years.
On the iPad, Thor comes with a specially designed interface that's optimized for touch control and the iPad screen. Cleverly designed panels expand and fold at the touch of a button to hide or reveal oscillators, filters, envelopes and more.
The app is divided into three main screens: Keyboard, Knobs and Routing.
Keyboard mode features:
• Piano keyboard with transpose and range control
• Modulation and pitch bend controls
• Assist function lets you select key and scale to highlight chord notes or to collapse the keyboard to only show the chord notes of the selected scale.
• Strum function lets you play arpeggios by holding a chord while strumming across the strum control.
• Two assignable knobs and buttons acts like performance controls
• Settings for polyphony and portamento
Knobs mode features:
• Access to all of Thor's synthesis features
• Three oscillator slots for Thor's six oscillator types: Analog, Wavetable, FM Pair, PhaseMod, Multi Osc and Noise
• Three filter slots for for Thor's four filter types: Low Pass Ladder, State Variable, Comb and Formant
• Three envelopes
• Dual LFOs
• Delay and Chorus
• The Knobs screen is divided into panels that expand and collapse at the touch of a button
• Miniature keyboard to audition your sounds as you are working on them
• Comprehensive but easy to use routing matrix lets you create complex modulation and signal flow setups
• Step sequencer with 16-steps and six channels: Note, Velocity, Gate length, Step duration, Curve 1, Curve 2
General App features:
• Patch compatible with Thor in Reason on your computer
• Move patches to and from your iPad using iTunes
• Sound bank with more than 1000 Thor patches from leading artists & sound designers (Kill the Noise, Richard Devine, Chris Petti and many more)
• Gorgeous retina display interface
• MIDI in - play Thor from an external MIDI source or from another app on the same iPad
• Audiobus compatible - stream audio from Thor to another audio app on the same iPad
• Audio in background option lets Thor keep playing in the background when working with other apps.
Note: We recommend using Thor for iPad with iPad 4 or later.
- fixed an issue where the preferred buffer duration was not correctly displayed in the Settings app
- added a MIDI panic button alongside channel selection to reset the audio engine for when notes get stuck on
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great sound and controller
Wish I could use its keyboard to control other synths through Audiobus. I rediscovered how much I liked this instrument when controlling it with ChordUp, which I just discovered and really like, but then I rediscovered how beautiful Thor’s keyboard controller is and really would like to be able to have MIDI out. Please enable this in a future update. And of course, AU support would be wonderful too.
I think this is the best sounding synth app I’ve ever used in terms of body and warmth.
Tastes Like Chicken Feet
Before coming to this planet I probably ate fifty to seventy virtual synthetic audio wave temporal manipulating processors and their extension particle neutron gamma radiation control filters each week without ever feeling that I was “full”. So when I uncovered a brochure detailing the Thor and it’s iOS data field manipulation equacontext fourth generation hair follicle apparatus I read it like a menu and ordered several thousand for delivery.
The delivery was fast and I was eating preset waves with garnished modulations and hot premium arpeggio ice cream augmented Low Frequency Oscillators count them 1 and 2 within the first trimester of the last minute of the second second of the fifth month by Easter.
Taste good Synth App. Not as good as the Thor within REASON since that one has explosive qualities as it jerks around the other sources within REASON, but tastes pretty good by itself.
*volume level is still low - not as loud as other apps, and distorts when pushed too high to compete.
*this app is great with a guitar midi interface like midimorphose
Don't buy - typical propellerheads abandonware
Typical Propellerheads release a great synth and then never bother updating it. The only way you can use this synth with a sequencer is through Audiobus which is being depreciated. It's also working though Audiobus is more complicated then it needs to be and limits you to one instance. AB was great back in the day when it was the only solution now only having AB is just useless. I haven't used this synth in years.
If you buy this soon you won't be able to use it for anything other than a standalone synth. Unless by some miracle they release an AUv3 update but I wouldn't hold your breath.
If youve been a Propellerheads customer in the past you know this is what they do. You wait or years for updates and when it comes it's nothing you need. I have no idea how they've survived this long but somehow they do.
Just wanted to capture some final thoughts before I delete this waste of space from my iPad. Congrats you got my money again and I got a barely usable synth.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.