William Shakespeare's Hamlet has finally been restored to its original second-person non-linear branching narrative format. I know! What took so long, am I right? Now it's up to YOU to decide what happens next. Play as Hamlet and revenge your father's death. Play as Ophelia and make scientific discoveries. Play as King Hamlet, Sr. and die on the first page!
Discover sweet art as you play from some of the greatest and most attractive artists of Our Time, including Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant), Anthony Clark (Nedroid), Mike Krahulik (Penny Arcade), Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal), Ethan Nicolle (Axe Cop), Andrew Hussie (MS Paint Adventures), Zach Weiner (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal) and WAY more!
View the full list at:
** REVIEWS **
"Literally slapped my thigh" funny. "Spat water all over my iPad" funny. "Woke my girlfriend in the middle of the night" funny. Riotously, unrelentingly, brilliantly funny. - Pocket Gamer - 9/10 - Gold Award!
"Yes, it’s Shakespeare and yes, it’s easily my favorite gamebook that Tin Man has ever done." - Pocket Tactics - 5/5 stars
"...an idea that is, by most conventional literary standards, terrible, but pushed so far past terrible that it wraps around like a comet slingshotting around the sun and comes back as utterly brilliant." - Time
"To Be Or Not To Be truly is one of the most purely-entertaining experiences of the year, because Ryan North manages to both live up to my expectations with his take on this literary classic, and also manage to go to places that I just did not expect." - Touch Arcade - 5/5 stars
** FEATURES **
• Tiny Yorick skulls mark the choices Shakespeare took in his play!
• Play as Hamlet, Ophelia, and Hamlet Sr., each with their own unique adventures.
• Learn things, like the meaning of the word ‘pernicious’ and the origin of the phrase ‘Till death us do part’!
• Sensibly bring evil King Claudius to justice in a court of law! Or, stuff him into a cannon and then fire him into a wall! IT’S UP TO YOU.
• Travel through TIME! Fight PIRATES! Kill a guy IN A CHURCH (it’s totally okay, he’s a jerk!)!
• View the HAML-O-METER at the end of each story to see how well you stuck to the Bard’s vision!
To Be or Not To Be has been created using Tin Man Games’ enhanced Gamebook Adventures Engine featuring:
• Dyslexic friendly font support, to aid readers with dyslexia.
• Hidden achievements to find throughout the gamebook.
• Art you discover is unlocked in the art gallery. Find all the full colour images as you play!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
Updated for iOS 11/ 64 Bit
Ratings and Reviews
Great CYOA - Better for iPhone than iPad.
I previously wrote a negative review whining about how the original .mobi and .epub formats were better than this app but I changed my mind. Playing it on my iPhone 4s, this is pretty darn cool. The text boxes work well, and overall the game plays nicely with a good overall pace and layout.
Unfortunately this layout doesn't work so well on the larger screen of the iPad. Also the graphics are not updated to full-size retina versions so they look a little crummy on my iPad Air 2.
Overall, though, playing it on the phone this is really nice, and I'll spend hours on the train reading it. I'm curious if I can find that weird Keanu reeves drawing from the original.. I forget how to get there. Anyway, great app.
A hilarious and captivating story combined with creative choices make for a very pleasant reading experience. My only complaints are that it would be nice if I could go back to where I was after reaching the the stats, and, more importantly, I would really appreciate if Christopher Slowe's choice map was actually readable on the iPhone. When I try to zoom in, the image quality degrades to the point where it is unreadable. Either way, I throughly enjoyed the app.
It is good but it is missing the vocies PC verson had
This is a fun little game book but it woudl be even better if it had the vocie that reads it to you that the PC verson had. Maybe it could be an opitional download that could be done inside the app so those that don't want to increase the size of the app don't have to. I would also like to be able to zoom in on the picture that shows all the diffrent paths without it getting grainy and unreadable.
- Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
- 696 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2017 Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.