The "To the Brink" app brings the National Archives and its JFK Library and Museum exhibit to iPads. This free app contains many of the same photographs, documents, and recordings found in the exhibit — allowing people unable to visit the exhibit a chance to experience one of the most extraordinary moments in American history.
• Additional archive documents, including a psychiatric personality study of Fidel Castro prepared by the CIA.
• Additional pages added to some existing documents.
• Improved interface for footnotes.
• Improved interactivity for outbound links.
• Modifications to document and gallery content order.
Ratings and Reviews
Wow, what an awesome app and awesome experience. Reading scans of formerly top secret memos and letters, listening to actual audio recordings of JFK's discussions with his team, it's hard to believe this is all even available to the public.
I wasn't alive during this Cuban Missile Crisis, but after reading/listening through this app, I have a new-found respect for everyone who experienced it back then. It was scary to me fifty years later; I cant imagine how scary it was back then. JFK's calmness under this unbelievable pressure just boggles my mind. Most people would have struck back at Russia, which most likely would have led to nuclear war, but not JFK. Despite his advisors calling for war, he stayed cool and may have saved the planet.
Slick and informative
Great use of technology to present a significant moment in American history. I got so engulfed, I finished it in what seemed like 30 minutes. Due to the experience, it still gets five stars.
It's a invaluable and interesting content with great visuals
It would be really great for it to have a single place for all documents and images.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- National Archives and Records Administration
- 449.9 MB
- Requires iPadOS 5.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2012 National Archives and Records Administration
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.