Toggl Desktop is a desktop app for leading time tracking tool Toggl. The Desktop app is a great companion for time tracking and productivity as it has advanced features like:
- Idle detection
- Tracking reminder
- Pomodoro timer
It also supports keyboard shortcuts, has a menubar widget and works great offline.
- Added 'Stop timer on shutdown' functionality
- Added Undo logic for time entry edit view
- Improved user data handling to avoid crashes
- Improved time entry list reloading speed
- New design for App Icon
- Fixed issue with timer not starting in some cases
- Fixed issues with global shortcut keys not being saved
- Fixed issue with tracking reminder triggering when editing reminder settings
- Added new project and client add flow
- Added new tags autocomplete solution
- Added keyboard support for selecting a date from the calendar
- Added support for notifications sound settings
- Fixed Tooltip 0h 0m issue with a single running entry for today
- Fixed idle notification timer stop logic
- Fixed focus jumping issue
Ratings and Reviews
Great, just for recording time spent
This is a great tracker. Use this app to record your time, and the fully featured web interface to help organize things. You definitely can’t do everything from here. The task entry could be a little more natural, but other than that it’s a great little app.
Data entry and cloud sync issues
The app will often go offline and not record data even if the computer is connected to the internet. All of my time tracked yesterday has now vanished today. There are data entry issues each time. For instance, the "description" does not always autopopulate, while the project usually does. If you choose a description not associated with another project, it gets confused and changes the project. Data is not truly synced across all devices. The laptop is showing different time entries than desktop, and when you try to modify the time entry by starting or stopping on a smartphone, the changes do not cascade across all devices. There is also no pomodoro support on mobile even though it is offered on desktop. Request submitted over a year ago for this feature. You pay for what you get. On the plus side, the pomodoro feature is nice and will automatically stop and begin a pomodoro break once the pomodoro has ended.
Lockup and Freeze
The only way to use this on a Mac is to use the website. The app constantly freezes and causes the beach ball to appear. Clicking on any part of the UI causes it to freeze / crash. When trying to quit the app it freezes again (or causes the whole Mac to freeze requiring a hard restart). Does not happen with any other app or program. It does track time once it’s done having it’s fit on startup. But if you need to edit anything in the time window, go to the website instead -> the app often fails and crashes here.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.