For musicians from pros to beginners, whether you sing, play a brass, woodwind or stringed instrument or any type of guitar, this app provides a set of feature-rich practice tools that gives fun and rewarding feedback. It’s much more than just a tuner!
So what makes the TonalEnergy the best selling music practice app?
• It's an all-in-one app, with a state-of-the-art tuner, an advanced metronome, dedicated orchestral strings and guitar tuning page, a piano keyboard, sound analysis pages, and audio/visual recording capabilities.
• It’s easy to use. Options like the Target Tuner or Pitch Tracker are on all the main pages. TonalEnergy helps users create rewarding and attainable goals during a rehearsal or when working alone. Colorful analysis data pages and audio/video recording features enhance the experience of practice.
• The metronome is cutting edge. It offers unmatched flexibility in sound choices, tempo settings, meters, subdivision patterns and visual displays. Voice count-ins, the ability to create and edit preset groups and Ableton link for syncing multiple devices make this a superior tool for performers.
• Ear training possibilities are endless. The high quality multi-sampled instrument sounds for symphonic instruments are unique among all other tuning applications. Listening skills can be developed through the use of the eight-octave keyboard, chromatic wheel and tone generator. There are no other sounds like these.
• Learning is a social activity. Using features unique to the TonalEnergy Tuner, data can be collected, reviewed, edited and shared with others. Feedback is essential for growing and developing great performers. It’s all about connectivity.
Chris Coletti, member of The Canadian Brass, sums up TonalEnergy by saying,
“TonalEnergy is a must-have for any serious musician. It's a full suite of tools in one app; the tuner, tone generator, recorder, metronome and beautiful interface make it one of the best tools for musicians out there, period.”
• Recognizes a large pitch range, extending to lower registers than many competing tuners (C0 - C8) that is highly responsive to wind instruments, as well as acoustic and electric string instruments
• Adjustable A=440 Hz reference
• Automatic or manual transposing options
• Instantly changes between equal, just and other custom temperaments, including user-defined ones
• Auto or instant pitch reference note feature using the TonalEnergy sounds
• Extensive tuning list for all orchestral string and fretted string instruments including many more features than most other string-only tuner apps
• An expandable eight octave piano keyboard enhancing many of the key aspects of the tuner’s functions
• Chromatic wheel tone generator, with optional auto-vibrato feature
• Frequency and Harmonic energy overtone graphs, along with a multi-function waveform
• Dedicated metronome page that matches or exceeds the features available on all other stand alone metronome apps
• Notation options including standard English, Solfege, Northern European, and Indian variants
• Bluetooth output/input support
• Audio and Video recording capabilities including, editing, looping, timestretch that are all exportable via iTunes sharing, AirDrop, email, AudioCopy, SoundCloud, etc
• Import music from iTunes Library or email attachments
• Compatible with external microphones and clip-on vibration sensor devices
• Supports external video output to an external display for use in rehearsal halls
• External MIDI keyboard control support
• Apple Watch app acts ONLY as a remote control for the phone app
• Audiobus and inter-app audio support
• VoiceOver support for the blind or visually impaired
• Piccolo, Flute
• Oboe, English Horn, Bassoon
• Full Clarinet Family
• Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone Saxophone
• French Horn
• Tenor and Bass Trombone
• Euphonium and Tuba
• Square, sawtooth, and sine waveforms
• Bowed and Plucked Strings
- Fixed touch issue with metronome beat toggle buttons
- Fixed pitch wheel size issue on iPads
- Portuguese translation updates
From 2.1.0 - Introducing the SIMPLE METRONOME!
There is now a NEW Simple Metronome mode:
- For the times you don’t need a meter or presets
- For younger or new music students who are learning to use a metronome.
To access the Simple Met, simply touch the new button in the top left of the Met page. This will allow you to toggle between Simple and Advanced (as our current metronome will be known from this point forward). Or simply tap the Met tab at the bottom.
For your convenience, when using the Advanced Met in sequence mode, you can temporarily switch to the Simple Met without interfering with the Advanced Met setup.
Other Metronome updates:
- The Met voice can now be customized for your needs on a per-beat basis, with any chosen number or a selection of NEW key words. (English only)
- Hold the “Tap Tempo” button on the Metronome page and select choices to allow MrSmileyFace to assist you in maintaining a steady pulse so that “You’ve got the beat!”
- Nine NEW animated beat visualizations, many using MrSmileyFace, have been added to the metronome page so you feel the beat and sense tempo differently! Simply swipe the Met visualization to make your choice. Tapping on the visualization will toggle special features.
Note: Some visualization special features respond to two-finger taps as well.
- In addition, if you wish, add some funk to your practice using our NEW randomized Metronome sounds. You can change every bar or beat, among a chosen range of sounds. The sound choices are found in the Met Sound pop-up.
Play along with exercises created by you on the improved Auto-Exercise Creator (AEC), found on all Sound pages
NEW features in AEC:
- Customizations for note durations include options for rests and repeats within the exercise.
- Customizations for single note lengths are now available.
- Lip Slur (Harmonic series) mode is available to generate exercises especially for brass players!
- Exercises can now be saved/loaded and exported/shared with others!
- Drones can be added to any exercise.
- The met sound can now be added to any exercise.
NEW: The Auto-Tone Tracking feature can now be set to sustain the initially heard note (Hold First), rather than tracking every note change. Hands-free practice when playing a scale or exercise with a root drone underneath opens new possibilities for you to explore tonality.
NEW: Our large volume dB option, in the center of the Target Tuner, can increase understanding of individual and group dynamics.
NEW: Now you can import and export your Custom Temperaments.
- Various bugfixes
Ratings and Reviews
Very Useful but Slight Problem
This app has everything I could realistically want from it. It’s a great tuner and a great metronome.
There is one very slight problem with it though.. the daily streak feature doesn’t work. I know this seems very minor and insignificant, but I actually find motivation in keeping up a daily streak as much I can, so it’s somewhat upsetting when it resets me for no real reason. This didn’t always happen, but as of the past few months, my streak has reset when I have KNOWN that I practiced the day before. This is more often, I’ve noticed, on days that I just open the app to quickly check my tuning pitch for a brief minute, so I wonder if this problem roots from the app not having enough time to register the day? I’m no developer, so I don’t know if that is a possibility. Just to clarify, it usually works; it just occasionally resets despite me having practiced. I’m curious if others have had this problem; I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app, but nothing changed.
Regardless of this minor issue, everything else about the app is fantastic. Keep up the great work!
The perfect tool for musicians
TE Tuner is the perfect tool for musicians. It is way more than a tuner. It has an extremely flexible useful metronome, it generates sounds for drone work, and it’s analysis page is useful on so many levels it’s hard to begin to say which feature is the best. As a woodwind player I use it to analyze my airstream, my tuning and watch my timing. This app also allows the user to record themselves, using high-quality audio files if needed. These files can be exported for use in other apps, or to share with others, and audio files can be imported into the app.
I have been recommending this app to all my students, and just about any other musician who I encounter. I use it every day during my practice sessions and it has become an indispensable tool for my daily practice.
If I could give this 10 stars I would. I cannot recommend TE Tuner more highly.
Good app but don’t like the sound choices
I have just started using this app and it seems to have the main functions I was looking to consolidate from multiple other apps I use - mainly a metronome and a piano keyboard to give me notes to work through vocal practices / figure out harmonies. Also was looking for an app to buy, rather than a free app, because the ads in the free apps get annoying (and seem to be getting worse, e.g. making you watch 5 seconds of a commercial before it allows you to close it). And this one has a tuner to boot. I do have 2 suggestions: 1) Call me crazy, but if I’m just giving myself a note to sing from, I’d love it if the piano keyboard display had the option to sound like a piano. You can make it sound like a whole bunch of different instruments, many with kind of cheesy tones, but piano is not one of them. 2) Would like a mute button on the metronome, such that when in the metronome page, you can see the box (or the screen) flashing the time but without the click. I can accomplish this by turning down the volume on the side of my phone, but it takes a lot of pushes to do that so it can’t be done quickly. Otherwise I do like this app.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- TonalEnergy, Inc
- 159.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2022 TonalEnergy, Inc
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.