This app does not and will never support gab.ai, or any of its spinoffs like spinster.xyz.
Toot! is a client for the Mastodon social network. It is beautiful, and full of character and whimsy.
What makes Toot! special?
- It is delightful. It is full of beautiful design, animation, amusing details and hidden treasures.
- It is fast and robust. It caches data locally to let you read without waiting for slow loading, and it remembers your reading position.
- It lets you be as many people as you like. You can easily switch between accounts with a flick of your finger. It even lets you read timelines on instances you are not logged in to!
- It has the cutest icon.
What makes Mastodon special?
- It is a social network by humans, rather than algorithms and corporate interests.
- It is a social network for humans, rather than advertisers and data collectors.
- It is a social network that is humane, rather than preying on your insecurities and worst instincts.
Why does Toot! cost money?
- Toot! shows you no ads, and it collects none of your information, nor does it track any of your habits. It does not try to trick you into doing anything you do not want.
- That means it gets no money through such shady tricks, and relies on you to support its development.
Follow @email@example.com for more updates and information!
Also, many icons by icons8.com.
* A proper native UI for reporting users.
* Blocking entire domains is now possible from the app, and editing your blocked domains can be done from the settings.
* Hopefully fixed a bug where openings message bubbles on the iPad would lock up the UI for some people.
* Fixed a small UI theming issue where some views might use the wrong colours on first launch.
Ratings and Reviews
Favorite Mastodon App
Feels like the most complete mastodon app out there! It’s definitely the one I use with the most ease and has almost all the features I find useful.
Would like to see the ability to re-hide sensitive media once opened though, like you can do on the mastodon web app. Right now you can only re-hide CWs, but sometimes sensitive image posts don’t always have CWs. Once I open a sensitive image and then scroll past it or better yet, switch tabs, I’d like it to automatically be hidden again, should I have my settings set to “always hide sensitive media”. I’m on an instance where unflagged sensitive media should be reported, and the current format makes it hard to distinguish between images i’ve clicked on vs not properly flagged ones.
Beyond that, I’m very happy with Toot! Thanks for the wonderful work on this app!
A great Mastodon client which prioritizes the comfort and safety of its users
The Mastodon social network is a great place to interact with people (especially fellow members of marginalized communities), but like any federated form of social media it is difficult to prevent certain people from trying to make it unsafe. I am glad that Toot! uses a bunch of approaches to keep its users safe, such as making it easy to switch instances, being respectful of post privacy settings, and making it possible to avoid interactions with people through the blocking system. There are also some great quality-of-life features like the zen “relax” mode and some fun Easter eggs, and the developer is incredibly responsive to bug reports and feature requests.
This app makes Mastodon a delight to use. My only complaints would be that it’s a bit harder than necessary to tune which notifications come up on my lock screen.
Alright app with slightly batty devs
It does it’s job well, in fact it’s probably my favorite client app thus far. However while I do appreciate the option they included to “”Filter Awful Survers, filter out any toot originating from a white supremacist server. (Currently, only Gab.)”” I personally dislike how it’s automatically selected. It almost felt as if they were trying to parent us and say what we are and aren’t allowed to view using the app. I would have rated this app higher if it weren’t for them quite literally pushing their views (That you can turn off after going through the settings.) onto us. Perhaps in the future they’ll learn to consider others (However wrong) opinions and turn off the ‘automatic’ setting. Maybe just a pop-up notification would show when we first start the app that says something like “If you want to limit seeing Toots from offensive servers you can turn on a “Filter Awful Servers” option.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Dag Agren
- 51.1 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018-2021 Dag Ågren
- In-App Purchases
- Toot! for Men $1.99
- Toot! is too cheap $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.