**One of CNN's 7 apps to help survive a tornado**
Get your family and home ready for a tornado. The American Red Cross tornado app is the complete solution you need to understand and prepare for a tornado and all that comes with it. With interactive quizzes and simple step-by-step advice it’s never been easier to be ready!
Ahora disponible en español.
• Free and available in English and Spanish
• Audible siren when NOAA issues a Tornado warning for any of your monitored locations letting you know when it’s time to go to your safe room plus an all-clear alert when the warning expires (Note: Alerts' sounds will NOT override if phone is on vibrate or in sleep mode)
• Customizable alerting and push notification options.
• Easy to view alert feed with the ability to remove alerts.
• Simple step-by-step instructions to help you know what-to-do even if the cell towers and TVs are down.
• Prioritized actions for before, during, and after requires no mobile connectivity
• Help distant friends and family in tornado alley with ability to receive tornado watch and warning alerts based on their location from NOAA
• Map with open Red Cross shelters and other weather-related layers.
• Be ready should a tornado hit by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation
• Reduce your household’s stress and anxiety should a tornado hit by learning to make and practice an emergency plan
• Interactive quizzes allow you to earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your tornado knowledge
• Know the difference between a watch and a warning
• Learn how to deal with food and water impacted by floods and power outages
• Simply let friends/family know you’re safe with customizable “I’m Safe” notification sharable thru social media, text and email
• Let others know where you are with the Toolkit’s strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions
We’re always making changes and improvements to the Hurricane app. In this release, we have done some general maintenance and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app definitely recommend
It was may of 2016 when I was home alone with 2 young kids and my phone started going off notifying my of a tornado warning in the next county over at the time the tornado was moving directly east so I had no worries because I was north 30 miles. My phone kept going off and I notice that the tornado was slowly starting to change direction I went ahead and got my kids dressed and ready to go and my phone went off again and showed it was coming straight toward us I started to load them up in the car when my phone went off it was the warning tornado. I jumped in the car right as the tornado sirens in town started going off! I KNEW ABOUT THE TORNADO WARNING BEFORE THE SIRENS IN TOWN WENT OFF! I took off to find a tornado shelter but ended up pulling into a friends driveway got the kids unloaded and in the basement where we stayed for 3 hours. When we got home there was no major damage just windows broken out everywhere the tornado was half a mile from our house… so it could have been so much worse in just glad I was given the extra time I needed to get my family out and to safety.
This is the one to get if you live in tornado alley
I live in Fort Worth, Texas. We frequently have severe weather, usually Thunderstorms but occasionally there will be a tornado that could be life threatening.
The trouble with most apps like this is that they go off so often you end up turning them off. We had a NOAA weather radio that went off so often that I finally threw it in the trash.
With this well designed app you can easily customize the type of weather events you want to be notified about, how you want to be notified, and how near the weather event is before you are notified.
We often get severe storm watches and warnings and tornado watches and I like to get silent, i.e. text notifications only, of these events. But when a tornado warning is issued within 25 miles of my home, I want the siren to sound immediately and loudly. That’s exactly what this app does.
If you would like to be notified when an event is 44 or 144 miles away instead of only 25 you could specify that. It’s all up to you. You can even monitor multiple locations with separate settings for each one. For instance, you could set up separate locations for your home, your workplace, your partner’s workplace, and your child’s school.
The siren has only sounded a few times in the last few years but I have been grateful to be alarmed and alerted each time it has.
A must have!
My family and I live in a northern suburb of Chicago. In August of 2020, a strong derecho was approaching and spawned several tornadoes which caused lots of damage. I was completely unaware of the danger until I received a tornado warning from the tornado app. Minutes thereafter, the sirens began wailing from afar, and our family took shelter in the basement. Not even ten minutes later, the tornado passed over our house leaving considerable damage behind. A year prior, the tornado app also gave us an early warning from another tornado that hit in September of 2019, however, it was not as powerful as the tornado of 2020.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- American Red Cross
- 61.4 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2020 The American National Red Cross