Tortoise is a different kind of newsroom. Not breaking news, but what’s driving the UK and world’s news. Not the news as it happens, but when it’s ready.
To live well in an age when everything moves at breakneck speed, we need to take the time to investigate what’s really going on, to make sense of the forces shaping our future.
We are focussed on the Big Fives forces shaping our lives: the 100-year life, wealth, belonging, new things, our planet. We’re not going to cover press conferences. We’re not racing after breaking news. We won’t just report on stories, we’ll take an interest in them. We care what happens next. We want to understand the issues and make for a better 21st century - with your input.
We aren’t a news subscription business. Tortoise is for members. We are currently in beta and will open to new members soon.
Tortoise membership includes:
• Tortoise Daily: the slow news feed. No more than five concise articles, landing once a day.
• Book tickets to ThinkIns - your membership includes a minimum of 10 tickets per year (normally £25 per ThinkIn)
• Explore the ThinkIn programme; live, unscripted discussions in the Tortoise newsroom and around the UK
• Access to Tortoise Notes the pre-event primer and the Tortoise Take, post-event debrief
• Save and store favourite articles to build your own slow news archive
Manage your membership profile and account settings
• No Wi-fi? No problem. You can read on or offline
We want to build a journalism that lasts. A business model that’s responsible and sustainable. We’re not going to take ads, we’ll never sell your data. We’re not owned by a proprietor with an axe to grind. We’re independent of political party or commercial agenda. That’s why it’s not simply about driving readership or just selling subscriptions. It’s about membership – being part of it is more important than just paying for it.
Tortoise has created a place, in the real world and the digital one, where you can come, learn and tell us what you think.
Sorry, but we don’t have the ability for you to login through your iTunes account.
We've listened to our members' feedback and addressed some bugs:
• Fixed the issue where you couldn't save or share certain articles from the library
• Fixed the problem where you sometimes saw a blank screen when coming back to the app
Ratings and Reviews
What the world needs...
I am, as many others are I presume, time poor. I don’t have time for the barrage of news that interrupts my day. All contradicting itself. I need a well-informed friend to tell me what’s what, in just the right amount of detail so that I actually learn something instead of superficial fast news that can’t keep up with itself. I only need to know about the stuff that matters. Tortoise is my new digital friend in the know in that respect. An antidote to fake news, and much like noise cancelling headphones amidst the cacophony of media noise. Bravo team. Keep slow and carry on
- Tortoise Media Ltd
- 61.2 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Tortoise
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.