Tot is an elegant, simple way to collect & edit text across your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. It’s your tiny text companion!
⁕ Less Is More
Tot’s single window design and simple formatting controls mean no more hunting for that chunk of text. Seven color-coded dots let you organize your notes while keeping them from getting out of hand.
⁕ Dark / Light Mode
Designed to look stunning both day and night, Tot takes full advantage of iOS and macOS themes.
⁕ Small Footprint
Stays out of the way on the desktop with minimal chrome and can even be controlled via the Menu bar. On mobile, each dot is just a swipe away.
⁕ iCloud Sync
Seamlessly syncs your text across iOS and macOS using iCloud so you can capture thoughts wherever you are.
⁕ Markdown Support
Full support for rich or plain text and even automatically translates text to Markdown for handy use on the web. Have an RTF file you need marked up? No problem!
⁕ Killer Keyboard
Tot puts common text operations on the keyboard and keeps track of word and character counts as you type.
Tot takes accessibility seriously with affordances for color blindness and full support for VoiceOver.
Available for iOS and macOS.
• Dot defragger: compacts dots to keep things clean and organized:
- Cleans up dots by moving full ones to the left and empty ones to the right
- iOS: Use “Compact Dots” in share sheet (or tap & hold on share icon)
- macOS: Use Window > Compact Dots… (or ⇧⌘D)
• AutoList will only remove bullets if they are in the middle of a list [Thanks Ian!]
• Fixed check for 100,000 characters: deleting text no longer triggers the alert
• If the first paragraph of a dot is mostly Arabic or Hebrew, the text will automatically switch to using a Right-to-Left writing direction [Thanks Ezra!]
• In plain text, ⌘B and ⌘I inserts a single Markdown character without a selection (this previously only worked with selected text)
• New symbol picker added to status bar:
- Click on the asterisk to get a popover with symbols
- Pick a bullet to start a new list, Emoji to add status, or any other symbol
- A quick alternative to ⌃⌘Spacebar
• Fixed sample text at first launch
Ratings and Reviews
Just missing a couple text navigation features. For instance when you’re indebted, pressing enter should make another bullet at that same indentation, but it doesn’t do that.
Also, when tapping a bullet then tapping indent, it just tabs forward instead of indenting the existing line you already started typing on. Indent is different than tab, tab is fine just label it the tab key if that’s what it’s going to be.
I almost never write reviews. I read about this app several months ago, when it first came out. I thought it sounded interesting but not worth $20, although I did download and use the free version on my MacBook Pro. I now have purchased the iOS/iPadOS version, and I must say I amazed. I expected this to be simply a place to keep scraps of writing. Well, it is, but it is so much more. It’s a simple app by design, but it’s true — that simplicity masks some amazing power. The level of attention to detail of these simple functions (one example: keyboard shortcuts on Magic Keyboard), the nearly instantaneous iCloud syncing across devices, the meticulous design, and more make Tot a joy to use. I do use it for those occasional times when I have to jot down some information, such as when I’m on a phone call and need to write down sometime. I also use it as a minimal bookmark keeper. I use it to quickly, without friction, write down an idea. Just a lovely app. I was wrong — it absolutely is worth $20.
Practically flawless place to hang out with text
If you want to just hang out with some text for a while, this is the app for it.
I was a user of Drafts for years. Drafts is an extraordinary app, one of the most impressive apps on iOS. Despite adding a seemingly endless list of hidden powers in recent years, it’s probably still the quickest way to launch an app and immediately get a text field.
However all that power has come at just one cost: Drafts isn’t the chillest place to just hang out with some text for a while.
Tot is like your friend’s fun, recently renovated basement. Just chill out and hang with some text, buddy.
I’ve been using Tot for weeks and haven’t once had the suspicion that I’m using it wrong or that I’m missing something or that some important information got lost somewhere. We’re just hanging out, dude. Me and the text.
If there’s text in Tot that I want to keep permanently, I hit the share sheet and it goes off to its forever home: a text file, an email, Ulysses, OmniFocus, who knows.
The rest sits in Tot for a while then goes off to do its own thing, wherever it is that text goes after you’ve had a nice time hanging out.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Iconfactory
- 4.9 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 The Iconfactory
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.