Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Touch Notation is available in free and full versions, allowing musicians to experience most of the app’s features at no cost.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Entering rhythm notation, tab notation etc. is not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes. Users are recommended to test the free version of Touch Notation in order to assess the app’s performance on their device.
Added link to an online video on the handwriting input page.
(This countermeasure is necessary, as the videos embedded into the help pages no longer play on iOS 12.2 or later.)
Ratings and Reviews
Great app - needs update for 2018 iPad Pros
Have been using this app for on the go composing. Very useful once you get comfortable with the input methods. However this needs an update for the new iPad Pros (2018) so the app will display edge to edge. Also with the iPad Pros now supporting midi keyboards, note input via an external midi keyboard would be game changing.
Great app- one important suggestion
I use this right now for bass parts, lead sheets, or a melody. Transposes very well. Once you learn the hand writing recognition it is very intuitive. I even use my fingers with great results. Chord input is great, text input could be smarter: allow editing of text after the fact and text formatting options.........
Great copy and paste for whole bars or sections speeds up work incredibly. Just lasso the section and click copy. Put you finger down, slide it around and paste it where you want it. Very accurate.
I have one important suggestion. They should add a white ink color to the pen input so that you can the erase or clean up other “ hand written” entries that you might have put in before. I use this trick in ForScore all the time.
A powerful tool if you take the time to learn how to use it
Very frustrating at times, but over all this app is very well worth the price for all the features it offers. Devs: please keep working on this! It has huge potential if the kinks can be sorted out.
Easy to use
Great playback function
Works well with Apple Pencil
Very flexible with what and how you write
Gesture recognition is hit-or-miss
Unable to format text
Unable to erase handwriting
In-app videos no longer work after a recent iOS update
For those having trouble copying and pasting: you can copy entire measures by double tapping and dragging to select all the measures you want to copy. Then double tap and drag to highlight an equal number of empty measures where you want to paste your notes. The notation will copy exactly without having to move stuff around.
- Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 122.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014-2019 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $4.99
- Handwritten Font $2.99
- Sound Set: Full $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.