Trailforks is a trail database with 400,000 trails. Users can contribute data and then local trail associations have the control to approve & curate the data.
- The largest database of mountain bike trails in the world, including thousands of biking related POI's
- Offline trail maps and info. Region updates are incremental and fast
- See your GPS location on the map, for trail navigation
- Record your GPS location during ride creating a track
- Display trail & route elevation profiles and 'scrub' along them to see the location on the map
- View local routes that users have created
- View trail logs from users and discover how to explore a new trail
- Automatic trail routing from your location (or nearest parking lot), to the trailhead of your choosing
- Sync and view your saved plans from http://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/
- Follow race course routes including colored stages and checkpoints
- Lookup region & trail info including routes, photos, videos & more
- Use your phone’s compass to orientate the map in the direction you’re facing
- View trail status & reports! Always be informed of up-to-date trail conditions & closures
- Submit trail reports & conditions from the app, including taking photos of trail issues
- Support the areas you ride, by donating 'Trail Karma'
- View nearby bike shops on the map, quick links for directions or phoning the shop
- View trails on map color coded by popularity
- Mountain biking heatmap!
- View custom worldwide topo maps designed for mountain biking with contours
The Trailforks app is your mobile companion to the http://www.trailforks.com website. It allows you to download offline trail maps for use on your rides!
Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
- Fix landownership layer not turning on
- Fix crash effecting a small amount of users related to the new National Scenic Trails layer
If you're enjoying Trailforks, help spread the word by leaving a review!
Ratings and Reviews
This app does the trick for finding trails around me. There are plenty of locations around me listed on the map and often, they have helpful little paragraph blurbs that describe the area and which parts are good for what. Filtering trails by popularity instead of difficulty is also a great way to know what trails to hit first if it's my first time somewhere.
That said, there is one flaw that's fatal for picking a trail network on the map. As soon as you zoom out a certain amount, the red squares with black text remain full size and they totally hinder my ability to see any actual trails on the map. They go away when you zoom in close enough, but when I want to pick a trail network to visit, I effectively can't zoom out over my state and compare my options. Just look at Massachusetts and you'll see towns like Grafton are literally covered by a wall of red squares. This makes exploring a new state or area extremely tedious on the map. If the red squares and text disappeared or got smaller when you zoomed out a bit, the map would be a lot more usable for that purpose.
Super Lame Payment Option for Pro
There is really no reason to make this a subscription app. I could see paying for individual regions and getting the region for life (kind of like the Kamoot app) but $35 a year for when I travel maybe once a year to a place other than trails I know. No way I want to pay that amount every time. I am content to find other, less superior apps. I get needing to fund the app but you will get waaay more money from users if you do one time fees. Including from me!
One of the best apps to navigate mtb trails
Developer responded to my shortsighted review, the app does have google maps navigation support for trailheads! In addition, loads of content here, has helped me find my way out of the woods many times and found tons of trails that aren’t shown on mtbproject or AllTrails.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your feedback. If you go to the main menu, choose “Settings”, and then “Directions App”, you can change the app that directions buttons open to be Google Maps.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Fireroad Holdings Inc
- 189 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2020 Trailforks Mapping Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Trailforks Pro $35.99
- Trailforks Pro Early Adopter $17.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.