Learn Chinese with an amazing dictionary (plus OCR) and flash card system.
trainchinese will teach you Chinese, with a free and complete dictionary, thousands of vocab lists, example sentences, audio recordings, measure words, character animations and Optical Character Recognition — not to mention a powerful flash card training system that even includes handwriting training!
• Our dictionary prioritises commonly-used words and phrases above the obscure and obsolete, while example sentences and measure words (classifiers) provide crucial context to help you decide which Chinese word is the most appropriate translation. Other dictionaries just leave you guessing!
• We've got Optical Character Recognition (OCR) too. Spotted some Chinese you can't read? Capture a photo of some Chinese text from a menu, book or sign, and the app identifies and translates the characters for you.
• Search for words by part of speech - simply type the abbreviated type followed by a period (.). For example, "ma n." gets you "ma" words that are nouns.
• Mistyped a word? Helpful spelling suggestions get you to the right results fast.
• Words feature both example sentences and measure words for nouns. It's time to move beyond "个"! And best of all it's all connected: tap examples and measure words to open them as full dictionary entries.
• trainchinese is great for students: it includes more than a thousand vocabulary lists covering topics from International Relations to American Football Teams and more. Feel like something's missing? Users often get in touch to ask for lists on the topics they're studying, and we're happy to oblige! You'll also find lists containing HSK-level words (both old and new standards), plus TOCFL lists for students in Taiwan!
• Highlight words with your finger for super-fast access to character animations, related searches and more!
• Whether you're studying the Simplified (mainland China and Singapore) or Traditional (Hong Kong and Taiwan) variants, we've got you covered! Easily switch between them or choose to display both in dictionary results and on flash cards. Even better, you can use the phonetics you're comfortable with - choose from Pinyin with tone marks, Pinyin with tone numbers or even Zhuyin characters (from the BoPoMoFo system used in Taiwan).
• Create flash cards with audio and animation from dictionary entries. Organise them into lists, and share them with friends (or students).
• Our Spaced Repetition system ensures you'll memorize words for good.
• Train your way: each card is available in four different modes to test different aspects of Chinese study. See Chinese, Pinyin or English and get tested on translation, and even compare your handwriting to a stroke-order animation side-by-side, synchronized! Or if you prefer, there's multiple choice training too (for a real challenge, try it in "Dictation" mode!).
• Flash cards are saved on your device and synchronized with trainchinese.com, where you can also train with them and find more great content.
• Add study notes to your flash cards - they're saved and backed up at trainchinese.com.
Don't forget to check out our other apps (tap our company name in iTunes for more info):
- Chinese Writer
- Chinese Audio Trainer
- My Chinese Library (phrase books)
- Pinyin Trainer
- Number Trainer
This update fixes an issue where other trainchinese apps were unable to open the dictionary to perform a search. Thanks for using trainchinese!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Native Speakers and Phrase decomposition
This app is a hidden gem and definitely worth downloading. Even with just the free version, I’m getting amazing usage out of it.
I love how this app allows you you hear the word you’re searching for in many example sentences spoken by native speakers instead of using a robotic reader. This helps me to learn the phrasing of word groupings and gives me an idea of the kind of phrases that are common in spoken Chinese as opposed to awkward direct translations.
The other features I love about this app include the training cards which help you with audio recognition, reading, writing (inc. stroke order), and speaking, which is available for both Traditional and Simplified characters. Also, I really like how the dictionary breaks down characters into their components and provides definitions of these with an easy to read user interface.
The cherry on top is that each word in the dictionary has an open discussion board linked to it which often provides useful points on grammar and usage. I’ve already used this feature twice now, and the Train Chinese team is very responsive about emailing you back regarding any questions you may have posted.
Overall, great app!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your kind review! Please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if we can improve anything about the app!
Great studying ecosystem
My studies have brought me to a lot of programs. What sets this program apart is how it folds great flexibility of studying into the system. I'm a university student and am able to create my own lists, then study them in the companion apps Writer and Audio Trainer, as well as in the dictionary here that has a great reviewing study section.
Seriously, there's nothing like this on the market otherwise and it's been done really well here. Buying the levels is required for the way I work, but when I see how much easier it is for me to recall things than my classmates weeks after we study something, I know it's been a good choice to buy in.
Happy day ~
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the mention and good luck with your studies!
By far the greatest Chinese learning app in the App Store.
I’ve used multiple Chinese learning apps, and this one is by far the most helpful. I especially love the anki-style self training.
There are in-app purchases, however, I believe they are definitely worth it given the numerous resources available in this application.
To the creators, thank you for putting this wonderful resource together!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- trainchinese B.V.
- 253.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2020 trainchinese B.V
- In-App Purchases
- 3 months + 10 lists $15.99
- 3 months $11.99
- 12 months + 10 lists $37.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.