Learn Japanese Kanji and Vocabulary using WaniKani's Spaced Repetition System.
This is a native iOS app.
* It's super-fast. All the mnemonics are pre-loaded on your device so there's no waiting.
* Do reviews and lessons offline. Your progress will be sync'd when you're online again.
* Graph showing your upcoming reviews.
* Graphs showing your progress on current level radicals, kanji and vocabulary.
* Options to ignore typos and add synonyms during reviews.
* Options to sort reviews by SRS level and Wanikani level.
* Always use the latest WaniKani meanings, mnemonics and levels.
* Add an option that makes repeated incorrect answers count as multiple SRS-level penalties.
Bug fixes and cleanups:
* Allow hardware keyboard control during wrong answers.
* Allow trailing n-kana completion in Gboard Godan layout.
* Many internal changes to convert from Objective-C to Swift.
* Fix a bug that would prevent new users from logging in for the first time (with error "API token not found")
* Fix a bug that would prevent the main screen from refreshing when the user was offline.
Ratings and Reviews
Has changed the way I do my studying.
First off, this app is amazing in comparison to trying to use the mobile site. I am continually impressed with the updates that also continue to come to the application, my recent favorites being darkmode, the hiding of examples English translations during lessons, and probably more than I can’t even remember. I am a huge iPad Pro 12.9” user, and this has full featured split screen and side app support!!! AAAAA, literally amazing. This means I can easily have Tsurukame off to the side to reference while I use a note taking app like Goodnotes in the primary, larger section of the screen. I lunge for my iPad Pro now everytime I get a WaniKani notification, because this app has truly made studying fun and more relaxing. No more looking up and down from monitor to notebook while I try to practice writing, it’s all right there. On one.
BUT... could we maybe see some Jisho integration where stroke order is shown on the lesson pages and maybe review screens when you get an item wrong? Or a drop down to show it in those screens? That would literally make this app 100% feature complete for me. Take my money. (Like actually though, can I donate somehow?)
Incredibly fast, easy to type in responses
This app has helped me get the most out of my WaniKani experience. It is convenient, responds quickly to input, and lets you blast through your vocabulary and kanji on the go without having to futz with the clunky browser version.
In a specific way, Tsurukame also accommodates those with comically large fingers with its “allow misspellings” tool, which lets people with big thumbs to type our English responses more easily without having to spellcheck everything we type on a tiny mobile keyboard—something the mobile site would has dinged me for, and has probably set me back numerous times even when I knew the correct answers in English.
There are concerns about using this feature to cheat on your vocabulary but the app still won’t count any input not resembling the official response (not sure if it detects adjacent letters on the keyboard or something but it’s brilliant).
The Joy of Kanji
This app is simply a delight to use. Everything I want (including a reviews forecast and other features that would normally require plugins) in a lovely UI that leaves me feeling refreshed.
(Don’t laugh. When you set out to learn over 2,000 characters, that stuff is going to be a *part of your life*. It makes a difference whether that part energizes and renews you or taxes and annoys you.)
Anyway, I love WaniKani but had to set up all kinds of reminders, systems, etc. so that I would remember to use the desktop app. The iPhone app offers convenient reminders and lets me check WaniKani whenever I have to wait in a line or kill some time before an appointment - plus, it wraps it in the aforementioned lovely package. What more could you want?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- David Sansome
- 37.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020, David Sansome
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.