New in Typeface 3: selection mode, body text previews, OpenType features, Font Switch, variable Google Fonts, multi tagging, finding duplicates and much more!
Typeface is a beautiful font manager that helps you pick the perfect font for your designs. Effortlessly organize your library with flexible tags and improve your design workflow by visually browsing through live font previews.
Good typography is one of the most important aspects of design, but finding the font that conveys just the right emotion can be a difficult task — especially if you're not sure yet what you're looking for. With a minimal interface and total focus on your fonts Typeface makes choosing fonts a delightful experience.
Free limited trial. One time in-app purchase to unlock all current features.
No subscription, yours forever.
FOCUS ON YOUR FONTS
• Perfectly rendered previews
• Live customization of preview text & size
• Intuitive & minimal UI that doesn't distract
• Light & Dark theme for day and night
• Easy to use & flexible tagging system (combine, subtract, invert & nest)
• Powerful search & filters (weight, width, x-height, figure styles, OpenType feature support, variable fonts, color fonts, file types, manufacturer and more)
• Smart sidebar (auto collapse, tag highlight, drag & drop)
• In-place font activation & deactivation [PRO]
IMPROVE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Collect font candidates using the Quick Collection
• Review & refine your selection
• Switch fonts in leading design apps directly from the app [PRO]
• Export a PDF to share with colleagues and clients
REVEAL EVERY DETAIL
• View unicode character support [PRO]
• Preview full body text layouts [PRO]
• Inspect OpenType font features [PRO]
• Get detailed font info
AND MUCH MORE
• 5000+ free fonts from the Google Fonts catalog, including variable fonts [PRO]
• Support for ttf, otf, dfont, ttc, woff and PostScript Type 1 font suitcase
• Migrate sets from FontExplorer X / Suitcase Fusion / Font Book
• Auto synchronization of imported directories [PRO]
• Temporary font activation [PRO]
• Group fonts by family
• Filter fonts by characters
• Auto font style classification
• Adjust letter s p a c i n g
• Left/right/center alignment
• Metrics overlay
• Advanced OpenType support [PRO]
• Variable fonts tuning [PRO]
• Import Font Book collections
• Dynamic previews
• Export & Import tags
• Convenient keyboard shortcuts
• Import Adobe fonts
• Auto activation [PRO]
• Tagged and Untagged meta-tags
• Background mode
• Font context info [PRO]
• Quick multi tagging [PRO]
• Find & remove duplicate fonts [PRO]
• Compare fonts using A/B font overlays
The Typeface free download provides limited functionality to try out the app. Get PRO to unlock all these features:
• Import your own fonts and folders
• Persistent & temporary font activation
• Font characters overview
• Body text layout previews
• OpenType feature inspection
• Font Switch
• Family Editor
• Variable fonts tuning
• Find & remove duplicate fonts
• Multi tagging
• Advanced filters
• Variable Google Fonts
• Font context info
+ All PRO features released in upcoming 12 months
Typeface PRO is a one time purchase to unlock all current features.
In addition, you'll get new features released in the upcoming 12 months for free.
After 12 months you can extend your license to receive new updates & functionality.
Extending is optional — you can continue to use the app and all your permanently unlocked features, even after 12 months.
No subscription, no auto renewals.
Check out typefaceapp.com for more info, handy tips & support.
Collecting fonts is great when you're browsing your library and want to mark candidates for your design.
But when managing and categorizing your fonts it's often easier to just *select* things.
That's why Typeface now offers the best of both worlds with a new Selection Mode.
When enabled you can select fonts, just like you would in any other app.
Double click a font to view details.
You can use the arrow keys to scroll through your library and use handy new shortcuts to go in and out of detail view.
The Collect corner is still there and allows you to collect fonts like you're used to.
It puts fonts in the temporary Quick Collection, so you can easily review your marked candidates.
Both selection and Quick Collection work hand in hand to make Typeface more intuitive to browse.
Selection Mode is the default for new installs, but the app keeps the current setting for existing users.
You can enable the new Selection Mode in the grid toolbar button or in the app Settings.
• Selection Mode: click to select, double click to view font details
• Press space to view font details (Selection Mode)
• Press enter (return) to Collect selected fonts (Selection Mode)
• Double click detail preview to return to overview
• Tweaked design of font previews
• Decreased grid size a bit to allow for more fonts on screen, particularly for larger font sizes
• Better Auto Sizing of fonts to fit the grid
• Smarter size fitting for compare preview overlays
• Show font file path in info context menu
• Show font file path when clicking on folder column in List Styles detail tab
• Better visibilty of collected fonts in List Styles detail tab
• Improved performance when pressing keyboard shortcuts
• Added keyboard scrolling to Info detail tab
• Added Command-E keyboard shortcut for editing families of selected fonts
• Changed keyboard shortcut for removing fonts to Command-Backspace
• Added keyboard shortcuts for increasing and decreasing font size, Command-+ (plus) / Command-- (minus)
• Added keyboard shortcuts for increasing and decreasing tracking, Command-Option-+ (plus) / Command-Option-- (minus)
• Rearranged options in Settings
• Position Multi Tag panel at last selected font and make sure it's visible if the selected fonts are scrolled out of view
• Set correct preview size when the Auto Size option is toggled
• Make Pro detail tabs available when registering Pro license when viewing font details
• Correctly dehighlight tags when dragging fonts to the sidebar and sidebar is still collapsed
• Keep selection state for fonts that are missing
• Prevent visual glitch of selected fonts when quickly scrolling through the overview
• Fully expand detail List Styles on macOS Monterey
- Fixed restoring previous purchases
Ratings and Reviews
Font Display, Organization And Use Are A Breeze!
I couldn’t be more pleased with this font management app! As a Graphic Designer, one of the projects I work on regularlly is for apparel designs/ecommerce DTG or screen printed products. Every design has to be completely different from the next to ensure originality. Typeface enables me to load an enormous collection of fonts with ease, categorize them in a way that works best for me and then to see them in a snap. I love that I can see exactly how each typeset word or sentence will look before choosing the best font.
I also cannot say enough about the customer service. When I’m really stuck and cannot figure out how to do something, I simply send an email with my questions or concerns and receive an informed response shortly afterward.
The value you receive with this app is unbeatable in my opinion. I asked several other graphic design colleagues who recommended this product to me. It’s no wonder they chose Typeface, it’s a fantastic app!
Okay, But Has Shortfalls
If you have a large font archive (thousands of fonts) this app effortlessly displays them quickly, even from a network location. The use of tags is a great way of grouping fonts with similar characteristics. Unfortunately tag combinations are strictly OR’d instead of optionally AND’d, limiting the potential power of tag filtering. Auto-activation of fonts is supported which is a nice feature at this price point. The interface has a few quirks to get accustomed to, but for now I cannot give more than 3 stars due to several fonts not previewing in list view despite glyphs being assigned to characters and other apps such as Font Book and Finder do show previews for them. Even system fonts such as Apple Braille, Apple Color Emoji, and Zapf Dingbats do not preview in Typeface but they do in Font Book and Finder. Thus, the effectiveness of searching for a font is reduced because you cannot see all the fonts while browsing. (You can see the font when previewing the characters, but not in the list view so it takes more time.) “Undo” functionality is limited, however the developer is great at replying to inquiries/critique and listens to suggestions for improvement. Adding support for dynamic waterfall text like Font Book and a "Find Similar Fonts" function like Suitcase Fusion would easily put this app at 5+ stars for me.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! You can combine the sidebar tags (OR) with the search filter (AND) to create complex queries (enter # in the search bar to get auto-completion). Typeface renders your entered preview text, so if a font does not support the characters you enter then those characters cannot be rendered either. I'll investigate ways to make this more useful for fonts like Apple Braille and Apple Color Emoji, such that they'll preview random characters those fonts support.
I wanted to like it
I am a home user and have a hard time justifying a $100 font manager. That said, I have around 1300 fonts installed and was hoping for an easy way to activate and deactivate by collection. Font Book for me runs extremely slowly, even though I have no problem in programs like Photoshop CC and Lightroom. Typeface will only run as fast as Font Book. I spent a lot of time making collections in Font Book and while Typeface will read them, they must be activated for Typeface to show them in their collection. If you have deactivated the fonts to speed up your system, then you can only reactivate them by going back into Font Book itself, or remember what fonts are in each collection and individually reactivate them. I deactivated a collection in Typeface, and when I went to Font Book, all the fonts had been moved out of the collection entirely, so now I have to rebuild it.
The filters are not that great, either, unfortunately. The Script option pulls up nothing that is actually a script, but fonts like vintage typewriter fonts and Marker Felt.
I was really hoping for more. Perhaps if I had less fonts and wanted to keep them all activated all the time it would be better for me, but I think I just need a more robust program.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! Make sure to update to version 2 which improved a lot on font (de)activation. All your fonts stay visible in the app and no need to switch to Font Book :)
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Floor Steeg
- 24.3 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Typeface App
- In-App Purchases
- Typeface Pro $39.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $14.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $22.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $32.99