New in Typeface 3: body text previews, OpenType features, Font Switch, variable font support, multi tagging, finding duplicates, M1 support and much more!
Typeface is a beautiful font manager that helps you pick the perfect font for your designs. Effortlessly organize your library with flexible tags and improve your design workflow by visually browsing through live font previews.
Good typography is one of the most important aspects of design, but finding the font that conveys just the right emotion can be a difficult task—especially if you're not sure yet what you're looking for. With a minimal interface and total focus on your fonts Typeface makes choosing fonts a delightful experience
Free limited trial. One time in-app purchase to unlock all features. No subscription, yours forever.
FOCUS ON YOUR FONTS
• Perfectly rendered previews
• Live customization of preview text & size
• Intuitive & minimal UI that doesn't distract
• Light & Dark theme for day and night
• Easy to use & flexible tagging system (combine, subtract, invert & nest)
• Powerful search & filters (weight, width, x-height, figure styles, OpenType feature support, variable fonts, color fonts, file types, manufacturer and more)
• Smart sidebar (auto collapse, tag highlight, drag & drop)
• In-place font activation & deactivation [PRO]
IMPROVE YOUR WORKFLOW
• Collect font candidates using the Quick Collection
• Review & refine your selection
• Switch fonts in leading design apps directly from the app [PRO]
• Export a PDF to share with colleagues and clients
REVEAL EVERY DETAIL
• View unicode character support [PRO]
• Preview full body text layouts [PRO]
• Inspect OpenType font features [PRO]
• Get detailed font info
AND MUCH MORE
• 2000+ free fonts from the Google Fonts catalog
• Support for ttf, otf, dfont, ttc, woff and PostScript Type 1 font suitcase
• Auto synchronization of imported directories [PRO]
• Temporary font activation [PRO]
• Group fonts by family
• Filter fonts by characters
• Auto font style classification
• Adjust letter s p a c i n g
• Left/right/center alignment
• Metrics overlay
• Advanced OpenType support [PRO]
• Variable fonts tuning [PRO]
• Import Font Book collections
• Dynamic previews
• Export & Import tags
• Convenient keyboard shortcuts
• Import Adobe fonts
• Auto activation [PRO]
• Tagged and Untagged meta-tags
• Background mode
• Font context info [PRO]
• Quick multi tagging [PRO]
• Find & remove duplicate fonts [PRO]
• Compare fonts using A/B font overlays
The Typeface free download provides limited functionality to try out the app. Get PRO to unlock all these features:
• Persistent & temporary font activation
• Font characters overview
• Body text layout previews
• OpenType feature inspection
• Font Switch
• Family Editor
• Temporary font activation
• Variable fonts tuning
• Find & remove duplicate fonts
• Quick tagging
• Advanced filters
• Font context info
• Import font files and directories
+ All PRO features released in upcoming 12 months
One time purchase. No subscription.
Check out typefaceapp.com for more info, handy tips & support.
Follow @typefaceapp on Twitter to get the latest news.
Don’t you hate it when you’re neatly organising your font library only to discover that some fonts are not properly grouped into the correct family? Separate font variants (regular/bold/italic) may each show up as separate families. Or maybe you have multiple foundry versions of the same typeface, and you need to be able to choose which specific family to activate.
The all new Family Editor allows you to fix all these family problems! You can dive in there and batch adjust the family of each individual font. Or use the smart suggestions feature to quickly apply automatically suggested family merges and splits.
Note: the font files that contain the actual family information are not touched. That means that family changes are only visible in Typeface, not in other apps.
But that’s certainly not all: there are multiple improvements to the Duplicates Finder, including the ability to select duplicates by folder. And Typeface is now fully translated to German by Karsten Müller — Viel Spaß!
• Family Editor — Merge and split font families
• Added right click family context submenu, which allows you to edit a family and view all current family members
• Added File > Manage Families, to manage all font families in your library
• View and apply automatic family split and merge suggestions, based on your currently imported font locations
• Added German localization
• Select duplicates by imported location in the Duplicates panel
• Right click on a path component in the Duplicates panel to automatically select duplicates by subfolder
• Right click on a duplicate header to auto select duplicates for that particular name only
• Added Typeface backup file extension, open directly from Finder
• Backup and restore modified families
• Added keyboard navigation in Duplicates Finder
• Double click or Command click to select a duplicate for removal in Duplicate Finder
• Show font file location relative to imported location when clicking on the location tag in Duplicates Finder (hold down Option to show full path)
• Double click on a subfolder in the Duplicates panel to reveal that subfolder in Finder
• Show full path for fonts located in special macOS CloudStorage folder used by cloud syncing apps
• Headers in context menus are bolder to make them visually different from unavailable menu items
• Reduced memory usage for Intro and In-App Purchase panels
• Show characters from Unicode supplementary private use area (0xF0000+)
• Show permanent Typeface menu item in window menu to reopen main window when closed
• Prevent crash when removing an already removed tag from the Multi Attach panel
• Don't automatically try to select a tag if it's not available yet after renaming in the sidebar
• Prevent crash when inspecting OpenType features for font with corrupt ligature table
• Allow reverting preferred font activation setting back to 'persistent' when using legacy Typeface 2 license
• Correctly handle license registration when trying to register the currently registered license
• Prevent crash when multiple exact duplicates are found for the same PostScript name
• Retina rendering of icons when switching from non-retina to retina screen
Ratings and Reviews
Great for the price
I’m the digital marketing guy at my office, and the time had come for me to pick out some potential fonts for an upcoming project. typeface was exactly what I needed - a simple font manager that didn’t cost an arm and a leg. It features a beautiful interface, fast speeds, and plenty of features. Unfortunately, however, the lack of being able to save font collections without installing them is a large oversight. My font choices had to be signed off on, which meant that I was required to leave typeface open in the meantime, and I eventually just had to reset my only collection while working on another project - less than ideal
Overall, typeface is a beautiful, fast font manager, and well worth the $10 pricetag - just don’t uninstall that freeware manager in the meantime.
Okay, But Has Shortfalls
If you have a large font archive (thousands of fonts) this app effortlessly displays them quickly, even from a network location. The use of tags is a great way of grouping fonts with similar characteristics. Unfortunately tag combinations are strictly OR’d instead of optionally AND’d, limiting the potential power of tag filtering. Auto-activation of fonts is supported which is a nice feature at this price point. The interface has a few quirks to get accustomed to, but for now I cannot give more than 3 stars due to several fonts not previewing in list view despite glyphs being assigned to characters and other apps such as Font Book and Finder do show previews for them. Even system fonts such as Apple Braille, Apple Color Emoji, and Zapf Dingbats do not preview in Typeface but they do in Font Book and Finder. Thus, the effectiveness of searching for a font is reduced because you cannot see all the fonts while browsing. (You can see the font when previewing the characters, but not in the list view so it takes more time.) “Undo” functionality is limited, however the developer is great at replying to inquiries/critique and listens to suggestions for improvement. Adding support for dynamic waterfall text like Font Book and a "Find Similar Fonts" function like Suitcase Fusion would easily put this app at 5+ stars for me.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! You can combine the sidebar tags (OR) with the search filter (AND) to create complex queries (enter # in the search bar to get auto-completion). Typeface renders your entered preview text, so if a font does not support the characters you enter then those characters cannot be rendered either. I'll investigate ways to make this more useful for fonts like Apple Braille and Apple Color Emoji, such that they'll preview random characters those fonts support.
I wanted to like it
I am a home user and have a hard time justifying a $100 font manager. That said, I have around 1300 fonts installed and was hoping for an easy way to activate and deactivate by collection. Font Book for me runs extremely slowly, even though I have no problem in programs like Photoshop CC and Lightroom. Typeface will only run as fast as Font Book. I spent a lot of time making collections in Font Book and while Typeface will read them, they must be activated for Typeface to show them in their collection. If you have deactivated the fonts to speed up your system, then you can only reactivate them by going back into Font Book itself, or remember what fonts are in each collection and individually reactivate them. I deactivated a collection in Typeface, and when I went to Font Book, all the fonts had been moved out of the collection entirely, so now I have to rebuild it.
The filters are not that great, either, unfortunately. The Script option pulls up nothing that is actually a script, but fonts like vintage typewriter fonts and Marker Felt.
I was really hoping for more. Perhaps if I had less fonts and wanted to keep them all activated all the time it would be better for me, but I think I just need a more robust program.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! Make sure to update to version 2 which improved a lot on font (de)activation. All your fonts stay visible in the app and no need to switch to Font Book :)
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Floor Steeg
- 34.7 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
English, Dutch, German
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Typeface App
- In-App Purchases
- Typeface Pro $39.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $32.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $21.99
- Typeface Pro Extension $14.99