Your perfect companion for learning, teaching, and loving typography.
Typography Insight is a toolkit for learning & teaching typography, designed for those who love type. You can learn about historically important typefaces, observe and compare them. You can access system fonts and fonts from Adobe Typekit with Adobe ID.(optional)
● Fast Company - "It's more like an exquisite museum exhibit than a musty textbook." “Anyone who loves books, words, history, or fine art — even in the slightest bit — will find Typography Insight as intoxicating as Wikipedia and as fun as a video game.”
● The Atlantic - "Learning the subtleties of Helvetica and Garamond used to be a pain—but a sleek new app has made the process easier" "Typography Insight: iPad App Teaches Fonts Like Never Before"
● Gizmodo - "Typography Insight is sort of like an iPad typeface encyclopedia. Only encyclopedias are boring, and Typography Insight is beautiful and fun." "Typography Insight Makes Learning Fonts Gorgeous and Easy"
“Turned on by serifs and stems? Then you’ll love Typography Insight. Very slick, very informative.”
“This is like taking a beautiful coffee-table book and making it interactive.”
● Juxtaposing Comparison: Understand the detail differences between the typefaces with side by side comparison
● Overlaying Comparison: Compare two typefaces by overlaying on top of each other
● Type inspector: Observe the detail shapes of typefaces such as serif, counter, and ear in very large scale, with pinch and pan gesture
● Basics: Learn about the basics of typography and simple tips for making a readable page
● Typeface Anatomy: Learn about the elements and terminologies of typefaces
● Historical typefaces: Understand different characteristics of historically important typefaces
● Adobe Typekit font library support: Access thousands of fonts from Adobe Typekit by signing-in with Adobe ID
● System font library support: Observe and compare all iOS system fonts
*Note - known issues in dark mode with Typekit menus
Due to discontinued support for Adobe Creative Cloud SDK, Typekit font menu does not properly support dark theme. Please use the light theme when using Typekit font menus.
Bug fix and content improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs more fonts
I would also like more historical information about the fonts. Like what exactly make a font considered Garald or transitional?
In type inspector, after selecting a font at the top you can hit mark. What is it trying to show you?
Excited for the future!
I’m a web/ graphic designer and have had an affinity for fonts and type for a while. Needless to say when I saw this app, I pretty much impulse bought almost immediately. This app has a lot of basic fact and tools, but it’s nothing I didn’t already know from my high school graphic design class when we spent like a day on fonts.
I’d love to see more in depth info on type, maybe some history, how each letter plays into one another. How is each letter designed and why does it take that form? I don’t know, maybe I’m blowing smoke because I don’t know type that well, but I’m excited to see what’s added in the future!
This app works as described and the developer chooses not to collect any personal data for themselves or their affiliates. After reading the single paragraph, I was so happy to read their policy I nearly cried.
Previously, I've agreed to fork over my data to Adobe, so that's on me.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- BRDY Studios, LLC
- 114.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © (C) BRDY Studios, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.