Typography Insight is a toolkit for learning & teaching typography, designed for those who love type. You can learn about historically important typefaces, observe and compare them. Now you can access system fonts and thousands of fonts from Adobe Typekit with Adobe ID.
● Fast Company - "It's more like an exquisite museum exhibit than a musty textbook." “Anyone who loves books, words, history, or fine art — even in the slightest bit — will find Typography Insight as intoxicating as Wikipedia and as fun as a video game.”
● The Atlantic - "Learning the subtleties of Helvetica and Garamond used to be a pain—but a sleek new app has made the process easier" "Typography Insight: iPad App Teaches Fonts Like Never Before"
● Gizmodo - "Typography Insight is sort of like an iPad typeface encyclopedia. Only encyclopedias are boring, and Typography Insight is beautiful and fun." "Typography Insight Makes Learning Fonts Gorgeous and Easy"
“Turned on by serifs and stems? Then you’ll love Typography Insight. Very slick, very informative.”
“This is like taking a beautiful coffee-table book and making it interactive.”
● Juxtaposing Comparison: Understand the detail differences between the typefaces with side by side comparison
● Overlaying Comparison: Compare two typefaces by overlaying on top of each other
● Type inspector: Observe the detail shapes of typefaces such as serif, counter, and ear in very large scale, with pinch and pan gesture
● Basics: Learn about the basics of typography and simple tips for making a readable page
● Typeface Anatomy: Learn about the elements and terminologies of typefaces
● Historical typefaces: Understand different characteristics of historically important typefaces
● Adobe Typekit font library support: Access thousands of fonts from Adobe Typekit by signing-in with Adobe ID
● System font library support: Observe and compare all iOS system fonts
This update(4.1.6) Added color options to Juxtapositional Comparison
- Dark Mode support added!
- Fixed crash issue on iOS 12 and 11
- Fixed text cropping issues on some font in Type Inspector
- Polished dark mode updates
- Fixed typo on basics contents
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Good Educational App
Many other apps show you different apps, but this helps you really UNDERSTAND the difference between similar fonts like Garamond, Caslon, Times New Roman, and Baskerville. These fonts look similar to the uninitiated, but they really have a different appearance on the page.
Excited for the future!
I’m a web/ graphic designer and have had an affinity for fonts and type for a while. Needless to say when I saw this app, I pretty much impulse bought almost immediately. This app has a lot of basic fact and tools, but it’s nothing I didn’t already know from my high school graphic design class when we spent like a day on fonts.
I’d love to see more in depth info on type, maybe some history, how each letter plays into one another. How is each letter designed and why does it take that form? I don’t know, maybe I’m blowing smoke because I don’t know type that well, but I’m excited to see what’s added in the future!
Great concept but current version is broken
I was super excited about this app, but a few issues I’m encountering:
- when I select fonts from system or typekit in either comparison on display modes the wrong fonts are coming up
- when displaying a font (in my case objektiv from typekit), the descenders were cut off. Cool idea, just buggy for me
Developer Response ,
Thank you for spending your time to share the issues! Could you please update and try? Font change issue in Type Inspector has been fixed and added dark mode support. For the descender cropping issue, I’ll work on the fix for the next version. Thanks!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.