uFocus is a distraction-free writing environment that supports plain text files and allows you to keep them organized inside libraries. It allows everyone to express their creativity in the most simple way.
• Unobtrusive interface: the title bar only appears when moving the mouse to the top of the window.
• Swipe to show the sidebar. Here you can link your favorite libraries and quickly access your documents.
• Show text statistics including character and word count and reading time.
• MultiMarkdown: easily add headings, quotes, ordered and unordered lists, links, images, italics, bold, footnotes, citations, glossaries and acronyms. You can then export your documents to HTML.
• Highlighting: you can stay even more focused by fading out all the text but the current sentence or paragraph.
• Typewriter scrolling: automatically scrolls the text when you get on a new line.
• Sound mode: experience the ultimate feeling of a typewriter.
• No deletions mode: disable deletions and replacements if your greatest temptation is always to edit your text instead of writing.
• Fullscreen: focus on your words and hide everything else.
• Choose between three different editor widths, four font sizes and a light, dark, sepia or amber theme, or create your own theme.
• Print single files or entire directory hierarchies.
If you have any requests, suggestions or bug reports, you're welcome to visit the website through the Support link.
• Fixed a crash that happened on launch on macOS 10.15 and older.
Ratings and Reviews
An elegantly simple markdown editor
I was fortunate to start using markdown with two of the best editors, uFocus and Typora. I use uFocus for text documents that need minimal formatting, and Typora for more complex documents with equations, tables etc. After using markdown for more than a year and testing about a dozen editors, I still use these two editors the most. The default setting in uFocus with medium editor size is very well thought out, so much so that I constantly refer to uFocus for formatting ideas when customizing other markdown editors.
The developer is among the most responsive and helpful developers I have ever encountered, especially considering that uFocus is a free app. He implements suggested functions with frequent updates and responds to questions during Christmas break!
Tip: you can open a folder and then link it as a library for future access. Read "uFocus Introduction" under the help menu for this and other hidden functions.
One of the best. And it's free!?
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Very reliable! I'm not sure why this app is not in the most downloaded app list – it should be. NoWayBack mode? You got it. Highlighting mode (selected sentence) you got it. Typescrolling? you got it. And my favorite is the typewriter sound. All these are optional, check those you like, uncheck those you don't want.
Another thing I love is that this app doesn't offer tens of different selections of various editor or viewing modes, themes. It does offer a few, and that's how it should be. No freedom=not good / too much freedom = not good. This app is the balance in between.
I don't have any suggestions other than perhaps add a sephia mode in addition to the dark and light mode. And it'd be nice if this app had iOS (ipadOS) versions, but maybe it's better this way.
In short, excellent piece of software. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Thanks a lot to the developer!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your report and your suggestions. I added a sepia theme recently, since it’s something that some other users asked for as well. An iPadOS app is also on the way. Thank you for your time.
Elegant simplicity, easy to keep using
Ever since the original WriteRoom I have enjoyed simple clean plain-text editors. But through the years I have found that simple is not simple and easy is not easy to do. There are features to add to increase functionality or to reduce friction of using the application. And it seems these applications require of the programmer an artistic sensibility with a insightful restraint on the added features. For me, uFocus has come very close to this "platonic ideal". Plain-text; focus mode; easy access and control of iCloud storage in an easy to hide side bar; sidebar outline of markdown headers; dark mode. And all with a donation-ware approach that allows me to pay according to ability and value and desire. I highly recommend this app and encourage you to see if it will fit in your workflow and catalyze greater productivity.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nicolas Kick
- 5.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Desairem
- In-App Purchases
- Bag of shiny nuts $4.99
- Fruits on a plate $1.99
- Colorful cup of tea $0.99