uFocus is a distraction-free writing application that allows you to open plain text files and keep them organized inside libraries. The main goal is to allow everyone to express their creativity in the most simple, beautiful way.
What is uFocus capable of?
• Unobtrusive interface: the title bar only appears when moving the mouse to the top of the window
• Swipe with two fingers to the right to show the sidebar. Here you can link your favorite libraries and quickly access your documents
• Show text statistics including character and word count and reading time
• MultiMarkdown: easily add headings, quotes, ordered and unordered lists, links, images, italics, bold, footnotes, citations, glossaries and acronyms. You can then export your documents to HTML
• Sentence highlighting: you can stay even more focused by fading out all the text but the current sentence
• Typewriter scrolling: automatically scrolls the text when you get on a new line
• Sound mode: experience the ultimate feeling of a typewriter
• NoWayBack mode: disable deletions and replacements if your greatest temptation is always to edit your text instead of writing
• Fullscreen: focus on your words and hide everything else that is on screen
• iCloud, autosaving and Versions are also supported
• Choose between three different editor widths, four font sizes and a light and a dark theme
• Print either a single file or a whole directory
If you have any request or improvement you would like to see in the next version of uFocus, please visit the uFocus website by clicking the Support button.
• Fixed a problem which caused a crash when selecting text while the Highlights modus was enabled.
• Fixed a problem which caused the text color not to be updated when switching theme.
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best. And it's free!?
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Very reliable! I'm not sure why this app is not in the most downloaded app list – it should be. NoWayBack mode? You got it. Highlighting mode (selected sentence) you got it. Typescrolling? you got it. And my favorite is the typewriter sound. All these are optional, check those you like, uncheck those you don't want.
Another thing I love is that this app doesn't offer tens of different selections of various editor or viewing modes, themes. It does offer a few, and that's how it should be. No freedom=not good / too much freedom = not good. This app is the balance in between.
I don't have any suggestions other than perhaps add a sephia mode in addition to the dark and light mode. And it'd be nice if this app had iOS (ipadOS) versions, but maybe it's better this way.
In short, excellent piece of software. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Thanks a lot to the developer!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your report and your suggestions. I will consider adding a sepia mode, since it’s something that some other users asked for as well. I have plans for an iPadOS app, but it could still take some time. Thank you for your time.
Love it! Take notice writers! GET THIS APP!
What’s not to love about a free writing app that has a simple distraction free interface (love the inverted option) and that applies highlighting to sentences like IA Writer? It has great hidden goodies! It allows mutiple tabs for separate works up top. You can toggle typewriter sounds on and off. It even has a feature that forces you to keep moving forward with your writing- DISABLING the delete button. KEEP WRITING, WRITERS!
My only feature request would be the ablility to change the active sentence/text color to amber. Much easier on the eyes when writing in a dark room.
Keep up the great work!
Excellent free app
This is a great minimal interface writing app. It is simple and powerful. So far I haven't found it lacking in any features and while of course it's not as extensive as something like Ulysses, it is extremely well done for a free app. I use it for writing nearly every day. The only minor qualm I have is that when scrolling with a trackpad I too frequently inadvertently open the Library sidebar.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.