uFocus is a distraction-free writing application that allows you to open plain text files and keep them organized inside libraries. The main goal is to allow everyone to express their creativity in the most simple, beautiful way.
What is uFocus capable of?
• Unobtrusive interface: the title bar only appears when moving the mouse to the top of the window
• Swipe with two fingers to the right to show the sidebar. Here you can link your favorite libraries and quickly access your documents
• Show text statistics including character and word count and reading time
• MultiMarkdown: easily add headings, quotes, ordered and unordered lists, links, images, italics, bold, footnotes, citations, glossaries and acronyms. You can then export your documents to HTML
• Sentence highlighting: you can stay even more focused by fading out all the text but the current sentence
• Typewriter scrolling: automatically scrolls the text when you get on a new line
• Sound mode: experience the ultimate feeling of a typewriter
• No deletions mode: disable deletions and replacements if your greatest temptation is always to edit your text instead of writing
• Fullscreen: focus on your words and hide everything else that is on screen while allowing for greater text margins
• iCloud, autosaving and Versions are supported
• Choose between three different editor widths, four font sizes and a light, dark or sepia theme
• Print either a single file or a whole directory
If you have any request or improvement you would like to see in the next version of uFocus, please visit the uFocus website by clicking the Support button.
• The library and outline views now correctly restore their size when relaunching the app.
• Fixed display issues on macOS 10.13 or older.
Ratings and Reviews
One of the best. And it's free!?
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Very reliable! I'm not sure why this app is not in the most downloaded app list – it should be. NoWayBack mode? You got it. Highlighting mode (selected sentence) you got it. Typescrolling? you got it. And my favorite is the typewriter sound. All these are optional, check those you like, uncheck those you don't want.
Another thing I love is that this app doesn't offer tens of different selections of various editor or viewing modes, themes. It does offer a few, and that's how it should be. No freedom=not good / too much freedom = not good. This app is the balance in between.
I don't have any suggestions other than perhaps add a sephia mode in addition to the dark and light mode. And it'd be nice if this app had iOS (ipadOS) versions, but maybe it's better this way.
In short, excellent piece of software. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Thanks a lot to the developer!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your report and your suggestions. I added a sepia theme recently, since it’s something that some other users asked for as well. An iPadOS app is also on the way. Thank you for your time.
Elegant simplicity, easy to keep using
Ever since the original WriteRoom I have enjoyed simple clean plain-text editors. But through the years I have found that simple is not simple and easy is not easy to do. There are features to add to increase functionality or to reduce friction of using the application. And it seems these applications require of the programmer an artistic sensibility with a insightful restraint on the added features. For me, uFocus has come very close to this "platonic ideal". Plain-text; focus mode; easy access and control of iCloud storage in an easy to hide side bar; sidebar outline of markdown headers; dark mode. And all with a donation-ware approach that allows me to pay according to ability and value and desire. I highly recommend this app and encourage you to see if it will fit in your workflow and catalyze greater productivity.
Love it! Take notice writers! GET THIS APP!
What’s not to love about a free writing app that has a simple distraction free interface (love the inverted option) and that applies highlighting to sentences like IA Writer? It has great hidden goodies! It allows mutiple tabs for separate works up top. You can toggle typewriter sounds on and off. It even has a feature that forces you to keep moving forward with your writing- DISABLING the delete button. KEEP WRITING, WRITERS!
My only feature request would be the ablility to change the active sentence/text color to amber. Much easier on the eyes when writing in a dark room.
Keep up the great work!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nicolas Kick
- 5.3 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Desairem
- In-App Purchases
- Bag of shiny nuts $4.99
- Colorful cup of tea $0.99
- Fruits on a plate $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.