Not just another character map. (Really.) Did you know that many fonts contain characters and pictures that cannot be accessed with the keyboard or even with a regular character palette? Ultra Character Map lets you access any character or glyph in any font and use it in other apps. It also lets you do side-by-side font comparisons, print font catalogs, view detailed character and font information (including the keystroke combinations that produce special or accented characters) and much more. And it's really easy to use.
- Unlock everything your fonts have to offer. Access any character, symbol or glyph in any font and use it in your documents.
- Fun with colors and 3D effects. Create your own clip art by applying colors and 3D effects to any character, symbol or glyph.
- Say it in Emoji. Ultra Character Map gives you access to all Emoji characters available in macOS. To use an Emoji character, just drag or copy it into your document.
- Compare fonts the easy way. Enter text once, then simply scroll through a list to see a preview in every font. Don't want to look at all your fonts? You can filter the list by style, classification, collection, name or font folder. Ultra Character Map lets you preview header or paragraph text and includes preset samples to save you even more time.
- Print font catalogs and font samples. Ultra Character Map lets you print custom font catalogs, font samples and character maps or save them as PDF documents.
- Useful tools for graphic designers, webmasters and app developers. Ultra Character Map shows all the glyphs in your fonts (even glyphs that are not associated with a character) and lets you view Bézier curves and copy them to other apps. It also features an HTML entity palette, a Unicode 11.0 grid and panels that display extensive character and font information.
But wait, there's more. Ultra Character Map lets you pick favorite fonts and characters, view characters or text copied from other apps, view the keystrokes that produce specific characters (even if they require multiple steps, such as "Option-N then Shift-N") and much more.
- Supports macOS 12 Monterey.
- Quickly zoom in on the character map using the new Macro button.
- Easily generate a web page from the character map.
- Performance improvements.
- Other minor improvements.
Introduced in Version 2.1
- Supports macOS 10.14 Mojave’s Dark Mode.
- Quickly select and compare fonts using the new Selected Fonts collection.
- View alternate characters and glyphs associated with the selected character.
- Copy characters and glyphs to the clipboard as SVG pictures.
- Set the character map sidebar font size.
- Supports color SVG fonts under macOS 10.14 Mojave.
- Supports the MacBook Pro’s Touch Bar.
- Fixes an issue with favorite fonts under macOS 10.14 Mojave.
- Supports macOS 10.10 Yosemite.
- Many more fixes and enhancements.
Introduced in Version 2.0
- Enjoy a simplified, completely redesigned user interface.
- Create your own clip art by applying colors and 3D effects to any character, symbol or glyph.
- Quickly browse through your font library with the new font grid.
- Explore your fonts' characters and glyphs at the same time in the new unified “Characters & Glyphs” view.
- Get any character's Swift or Objective-C escape sequence or UTF-8 byte sequence and easily copy it to the clipboard.
- Browse the available variants of the selected Emoji character.
- Print character maps that show the character code, glyph index, and glyph name of each character.
- Adds a new Standard Music Font Layout character map for SMuFL-compliant fonts.
- Easily access your font files.
- Performance improvements.
- Other minor improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
What I Needed and Even More
When the “Show Emoji & Symbols” repeatedly starting failing on my Mac (a common problem according to the web), I desperately looked for a substitute.
And I got just that with this app—and SO MUCH MORE. In addition to showing you how to type special characters, it lets you search for them by their Unicode names, and as a developer, I can take full advantage of that. But there’s more! As a designer, I can put in sample text and see it in all sorts of different fonts, helping me pick just the one I need to make my client happy and express the emotion I need for a project.
I’ve slowly built up again a set of favorite characters (and thank you for providing THAT feature!) that I use daily in my work and correspondance. Ultra Character Map deserves its name: it truly is the ultimate character map!
Still no KeyCaps option, but this helps!!
I use some music symbol fonts, and I have missed some long lost function to look at keycaps to see where the symbols "live" on the keyboard.
Ultra Character Map does two things I've found very helpful. First, it can create font catalog (print or PDF) that you can customize. This is great when you have large numbers of fonts (like when you stupidly install one of those 2000 fonts collections). And second, it can create a reference file to show you all the characters that are available in that font.
Though this isn't a KeyCap option, at least you can find your desired character easily, and either copy-paste or use the key-strokes (which are shown).
Just what the doctor ordered, but—
I have a number of homemade fonts (made using the late, lamented Fontographer) that have special symbols not used in Unicode. this is a great way to find out where everything is. Once any letter is highlighted, you can type any key combination to go to the letter it encodes. The “but” in my review title is: this feature doesn’t work for accented characters that require two successive keystrokes. The letter ü (u with an umlaut) is option-u, followed by u. The letter é is option-e, then e. If you type option-u, u in Ultra Character Map, it ignores the first input, and just gives you lower-case u. Should be fixable, though. Developers, are you reading?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- X04 Studios Inc.
- 22.5 MB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 1998-2022 X04 Studios Inc.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.