The best dictionary app on the App Store. 35+ titles to choose from in a dozen languages. Includes world-class titles from Collins, Le Robert, and Vox.
English Dictionary and Thesaurus are now FREE with download.
The most advanced search anywhere:
• Catches misspellings, irregular verb conjugations, entries in either language, related words, and more.
• Example phrases, idioms, and other usage notes are suggested as well
• Search in all your dictionaries at once
• Type numbers into the search box to see them returned as text in your languages
Verb conjugations built in:
• All tenses and forms for every verb
• Accessible right within the definition or translation - no navigating to a separate tool to conjugate verbs
Favorites and history:
• Star any entry or conjugation to add it to your favorites
• All expanded entries added to your history list for quick reference
• Share your favorite words on Twitter and Facebook
Make it yours:
• Control your font style and size.
• Use it anywhere! No internet connection required.
• Change your interface settings to view the display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German.
Choose your dictionary:
• Hundreds of thousands of entries: every word you could possibly need.
• Noun genders and parts of speech.
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage.
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions.
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type.
• Unlock as many as you want from the in-app store.
"Ultralingua has been an invaluable tool for me! I travel outside of the United States with some regularity. Ultralingua Spanish has helped me expand my vocabulary and help with conversations and written correspondence. It's also helped me understand a lot of the signs and informational placards that are posted. It has really boosted my confidence when traveling abroad!"
"I have your Spanish/English and have been using it for many many years. I love this app so much that I tell everyone I possibly can about it. Every time one of my friends gets a new iPhone and asks me what apps they should get this is at the top of my list."
"I'm an undergrad linguistics major, and you're apps have helped immensely so far with learning foreign languages!"
"With an Italian father-in-law, a German mother-in-law, and Mexican parents, the languages fly fast and loose in my family! I am in need of help with my German, and your dictionary is a Great help!"
"Ive been learning Italian with the Ultralingua App and my study group have been impressed with the ability of quick searching whereas the traditional dictionaries take ages. The Conjugation has been an excellent way for a very quick verification."
"This app simply works. Its not filled with gimmicks, its intuitive, its the best!"
"Working in translation, your apps offer me immediate access to a wealth of information whenever I am on the go. Keep up the good work!"
"As a notary, I use languages each day and in all kinds of settings (legal, personal or commercial). I love your apps (I have French and Spanish) and think they are one of the most useful apps I actually use every day! Keep up the good work!"
• Updated for iOS 13 and the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
• Improved navigation of verb tenses
• We have stopped collecting usage analytics
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
As I glance over at my books on the traditional bookshelves, I feel nostalgic, revering those dinosaurs on the shelves, trying not to reminisce too much. I look at the dictionaries especially; they are looking back at me, silently sad, each one with its own memorable little history. One, titled Multidico, I purchased it in a bookstore in Tunis, Tunisia; I was attracted to it because it was multilingual and a reminder of my delightful fascination with linguistics and human communication! Alas, though, Multidico takes second place to Ultralingua, which I have used often to improve both my competence and performance in several Germanic and Romance languages! I appreciate both the verb conjugation and pronunciation tools! Thanks Ultralingua! May your business thrive and prosper!
Love the app, don’t love keeping two
I originally installed the bookshelf from a recommendation from a single language Ultralingua dictionary with the promise that I could use it and dictionaries for other languages in one app. The problem is that the bookshelf has never pulled in the purchase of the single language dictionary as promised. The developers used to send one off codes so I could pull in the single language dictionary every time a change was made to the bookshelf and I lost access to that language, but a few years ago they stopped responding. Now I have the bookshelf app with five dictionaries and a single language app installed. Its less useful to me to have to search the single language app separately, and it bugs me to have to keep two apps installed. The problem has also dissuaded me from purchasing other dictionaries in the bookshelf app. I would have thought they’d have fixed this bug by now, but apparently this “feature”, which is still advertised within both apps, is not seriously supported.
Great dictionary, offline use, YAY iPhone X support
The title sums it up. I’ve used Ultralingua for years now, going back to 2010 or earlier. It’s a fantastic dictionary with conjugations, idioms, and slang (though no dictionary could ever contain all slang). I love that it works offline. And, I appreciate that this app can store multiple languages so I don’t have to open a new app. As a language teacher, this was the dictionary I’d recommend to students because it uses no data and is fast (the reference website we all know and love is great but fails in those two areas).
Update: 5 stars! The only thing missing was iPhone X support and now it’s full screen!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 30.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2020
- In-App Purchases
- Spanish-English Dictionary $12.99
- French-English Dictionary $12.99
- German-English Dictionary $12.99
- Italian-English Dictionary $12.99
- French Dictionary $4.99
- French Thesaurus $2.99
- Portuguese-English Dictionary $12.99
- Latin-English Dictionary $5.99
- Vox Comprehensive Spanish Dictionary $14.99
- Collins Spanish-English Dictionary $17.99