Nineteen dictionaries to choose from, including Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, and more!
• Featured as "New and Noteworthy" by Apple for 8 weeks!
Translation dictionary with every word you need • Verb conjugations • Flashcards • Numbers • No internet connection required
"A very Mac-like, easy-to-use dictionary that’s perfect for the struggling language student."
"...after using it for a few days, I can attest that this really is a powerful and comprehensive language reference – and I highly recommend it."
“Literally all words I tried (from the most important to uncommon verbs) were in the dictionary. For someone learning a language, Ultralingua’s offerings can prove to be invaluable.”
Pick YOUR dictionary!
1. Purchase this application from the Mac App Store
2. On first launch, choose one of our Ultralingua translation dictionaries to unlock
3. If you want another dictionary, purchase it in the in-app store
We've specialized in translation dictionaries for the Mac for 15 years - Ultralingua is the most trusted source for language reference among students, travelers, translators, and teachers.
You get ALL OF THIS no matter which dictionary you pick:
• Hundreds of thousands of translations: every word you could possibly need
• Noun genders and parts of speech
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Hundreds of usage notes about troublesome constructions
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Only Ultralingua apps provide complete verb conjugations with every dictionary
• Includes all standard tenses and forms
• Smart search finds infinitives, irregulars, and catches misspellings
• Add and edit custom flashcards and group them by topic
• Allow the creation tool to auto-fill the translation for you, or add your own
• Drag and drop flashcards into any order
• Choose from 8 colors to sort your cards
• When you are ready to flip through your deck, choose how many flashcards you see, what order they appear in, and which side you view first
• Use 'auto-advance' to quiz yourself at different speeds
• Store flashcards for all of your dictionaries as long as you need them
• Translate numerals into text with the number tool
• No internet connection required
• Reference guide with answers to common writing and grammar questions
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
Choose from any of the following dictionaries:
Want more than one dictionary? No problem. After selecting your first dictionary, you can unlock others in the in-app store!
*** Please note: If you are familiar with the version of Ultralingua sold from our website, you'll notice some minor differences in this version. In order to make the app available here, we had to remove two features that didn't meet Apple's guidelines:
• The hotkey keyboard shortcut
• The dashboard widget
For teaching graduate students to access French journal articles in their research, I have found no better resource than Ultralingua. The program is accurate, fast, intuitive, and affordable. Students who have tried other print or software French resources, inevitably come to agree that Ultralingua is unsurpassed in design and usability.
Robert L. Plummer, Ph.D.
Mountain Lion compatibility! And...
• The search box will now be automatically selected when you launch the app. Just open Ultralingua and start typing to search.
• Added a button next to the language drop-down to make swapping between search directions easier.
• VoiceOver labels were added to a few buttons that were missing them.
Ratings and Reviews
Good, but not worth $40!
This is a decent (portuguese) dictionary, but I could be a full language suite for this price. $40 is especially much when you consider the online resources that do the dame thing. One thing in particular that annoys me more than anything is that if you look up a word while the conjugate menu is up and then realize you need the definition, you have to start the search over again because they apparently to talk to each other...
Unable to Open?
All of a sudden I am unable to open this application on my desktop, is anyone else having the same issue? I have had this application since 2012..
Not as good as the iPhone/iPad app
I’ve been using the Ultralingua app on my iPhone & iPad for a while and it generally works well, but I wanted a Portuguese-English dictionary to use on my desktop in parallel with other apps.
First word I looked up was “ter,” the verb meaning “to have.” The dictionary shows the 1st meaning as “to absorb” with other translations listed alphabetically, including the most important translation “to have." The flashcard feature used only the first definition when it created the flashcard. This is not very helpful to the beginner looking to learn the basics.
The iPhone/iPad app lists the most important meanings first, and the obscure ones are listed later.
Bottom line is that I don’t know if I can trust this version to help me translate Portuguese words appropriately as I continue my studies.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.