*** The biggest Esperanto-English dictionary for iPhone and iPad ***
Dictionary data provided by Universala Esperanto Asocio!
Over 50,000 translations with no internet connection required!
"For serious language students and translators who are looking for more precision." - The New York Times
Ultralingua makes apps for people who love languages. You can count on our Esperanto-English dictionary to provide all the content you need because it has more entries than any other Esperanto app.
It also has extra features that help you get the most out of the dictionary. The number translator converts numerals into Esperanto or English text instantly.
• Over 30,000 entries with 50,000 translations
• Tap-and-hold any word or phrase and choose "Speak" from the popup menu to hear that word spoken using Apple's built-in text-to-speech feature.
• Noun genders
• Slang, technical language, and regional differences in spelling and usage
• Smart search results in case you misspell or mistype
• Search-as-you-go displays words and narrows your selection as you type
• Translate numerals into Esperanto and English text with the number tool
• Language swapper button to switch from Esperanto-English to English-Esperanto
• Tap the history button to view the 50 most recent dictionary definitions, verb conjugations, and more in one place. Sort the list alphabetically or by date, and choose to clear the list completely or delete one entry at a time.
• No internet connection required
• Change your device settings to view the app display in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, or German
"It is a very easy to use, tremendously helpful and valuable addition for learning the language and traveling. I have found it a pleasure to use and it has exceeded my expectations in every way and has not yet let me down in any way. A terrific app." -User review
This universal app will run on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, so you can purchase it once and load it onto all your devices. The iPad and iPhone/iPod touch versions give you a great experience on every device you own. The interface will change, but you’ll always have the same outstanding language data and tools inside.
Dictionaries are available from Ultralingua for many languages, including combinations of English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, and more. See what else we have to offer by searching for Ultralingua in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook for app news, language learning tips, and more:
• Updated for iOS 13 and the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
• Improved navigation of verb tenses
• We have stopped collecting usage analytics
• Data improvements
• Small bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Needs some work
Even the website mentions the lack of Esperanto conjugations which the earlier reviewer noted. There are no Esperanto conjugations. Verbs change for tense, not grammatical person, in Esperanto.
But the lack of non-existent conjugations, is not the only problem with this dictionary. As with the competing dictionary, the list of words needs to be expanded. I was able to quickly come up with a dozen recognizable English words that neither dictionary had Esperanto words for, even though such words do exist.
This one is also somewhat bare-bones on features. And while the app is supposed to sync by iCloud, it’s not listed in the Documents & Data section of either of my iOS devices. Favorites don’t sync across devices as a result.
Then there are the typos. This is serious, and should nearly cost the third star (it’s a weak third star, just as I noted the other app is a weak fourth star). For example, there is an entry for “abaseeslf.” No, it’s not an Esperanto word either. It’s a error for the English “abase oneself, “which somehow lost the space and “on.” It’s not the only one. A casual perusal found “put intoe’s pocket.” Same error. Typographical errors in dictionaries are serious stuff.
I also found some errors in order. The dictionary puts “maco” between “maĉi” and “maĉo.”
Although it lacks some of the features of the other Esperanto dictionary app, if it were cleared of typos, its list of words were greatly increased, and shades of meaning clarified (both apps need these last two) that would make up for its lack of features. That would only lift it from a 3 to a 4. It’s not pricy, but you deserve better than this.
- Ultralingua, Inc.
- 12.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Ultralingua, Inc. 2020
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.