- Reviews -
"UltraTimer by Plain and Simple Software is an ideal tool if you want to use your iPhone or iPod touch to keep you on track... UltraTimer is a simple but valuable tool for anyone who requires a flexible, hands-free event timer."
- by Kyle Bailey, Macworld.com
"Ultratimer: a must-have for interval training. ... Of the timers that I've tested, UltraTimer is my favorite. Its combination of ease-of-use and functionality make it the benchmark fitness timer app."
- by Sang Tang, tuaw.com
"So I purchased the UltraTimer app from the AppStore on my iPhone. It was the only purchased app I have that was worth it!"
- by Casey, rawandfit.com
"...the other thing that I have come to love is my Ultratimer application on my iPod... the Ultratimer is a step beyond."
- by Jennifer, oncearoundvenus.blogspot.com
"UltraTimer iPhone App Is EXACTLY What I’ve Been Looking For. ... I was worried that it might be difficult to use, but I found it incredibly easy and I was running with a program that only took me about five minutes to program, and that included recording the voice prompts."
- by Laura Moncur, starling-fitness.com
- Description -
UltraTimer is the original fully-programmable and customizable interval timer in the AppStore. As a result, it is the most refined and feature-rich interval timer today!
UltraTimer is an easy and convenient way of timing any activity or series of activities. You can set a single timer or multiple timers, each including series of count-down intervals that run back-to-back. Each interval can be customized to play a different alarm sound from the included library, as well as change the background color for visual feedback.
It is easy to set up intervals for any activity: training (martial arts, boxing, mma, circuit training, interval training, Crossfit, HIIT / HIT, yoga, meditation, exercise, workout, cycling, running, etc), time management for switching between multiple projects, or anything else you can think of.
For a complete workout, you can set up a Timer Group which will play individual timers back to back. Start out with your favorite Warm Up timer, then run through your favorite Training timer, and end with a Stretching timer. UltraTrainer will run you through your full workout automatically.
The included sound library comes with a wide variety of reminder sounds suitable for relaxing timers, high intensity activities, and everything in between. Custom sounds can also be recorded via the microphone; you are not limited to the included sound library.
Exclusive to our products, users can browse the Timer Exchange, a community where people freely exchange timers. Search, browse, and download timers that other users have uploaded. If you want, you can upload your own timers to share with others.
If a friend also owns UltraTimer, you can exchange timers via e-mail or the clipboard to use other methods.
Using UltraTimer with music playing is not a problem. You can begin playing music on the timer screen, pause it, or skip to the next track.
Just a few features in UltraTimer:
- Timer Exchange community
- Runs in the background
- Copy/Paste Intervals and Actions
- Delayed start time
- Over 70 included sounds
- Record your own sounds
- Large countdown timer display
- iPod music playback control lets you pause/play the current track or move to the next track from the countdown timer screen
- Pause the timer to temporarily halt the activity
- Timer state is saved if it is interrupted
- Still runs if screen is locked
- Intuitive setup
If you're looking for an App that coaches you as you train, check out "UltraTrainer."
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Fixed crash issue when recording custom sounds in iOS 10/11
Ratings and Reviews
Very Useful.. but needs some improvements
Ultra timer has been very useful for my music practice and Yoga. I can set the sub-timers and works awesome. However I noticed that it requires a few improvements.
1. The iphone screen is ALWAYS ON as long as the ultratimer is running. This can drain the battery life. For example, if one were to use the "default" Ergonomic timer for 8 hrs, the battery would probably have gone dead long before the expiry of 8 hrs.... My suggestion is to shut off the screen after 1 min or so (ie follow the default behaviour of iphone settings) but light up at the end of every interval.
2. It would be very useful to have restartability for every interval instead of the entire program. To illustrate this, assume you have created a "profile" called "Yoga" which has 5 timers of varying durations. It would be nice to have the facility to stop timer 1 before expiry and move on to timer 2 OR stop timer 1 before it expires, skip timer 2 and move on to timer 3. This would make this timer very flexible.
3. I also noticed one potential weakness of this app. While the timer was running, I received a phone call on my iphone. After completed the call, I noticed that the ultratimer had stopped. I would have liked the ultratimer to either be running or paused. That way if I tap on the ultratimer, it will continue from the prev state.
Other than the above this timer is awesome.
Still the best workout timer
UltraTimer is still usable even on my iPhone13ProMax. The old timers I created don’t expand to the new screen size but the new timers I create fill the screen.
I will it would be upgraded, but as long as it works, I am still happy with it.
By the way, you can even make very complex timers for cooking.
Thanks for the update!
Reduced from 5 to 3 stars. Needs to be updated layout not functioning on my iPhone 6+
I’ve used this timer for a fairly long time now. I really appreciate its flexibility and the variety of times included. It wasn’t formatting well and hadn’t been updated for a while. I am grateful that it is back in play. Thanks! I works great again.
The developer, Plain and Simple Software, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Scott Fritzinger
- 22 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Plain and Simple Software
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.