Enjoy our new fun and witty, personal walking tours along sections of San Francisco’s famous, historic 49 MILE SCENIC DRIVE.
Each tour explores a top visitor area starting with the most popular section of the City: Chinatown, Nob Hill, North Beach.
These tours are BASED ON THE AWARD WINNING GUIDEBOOK: Walking San Francisco’s 49 Mile Scenic Drive.
Developed in collaboration with the guidebook’s authors, who are the first people known to have walked the entire 49 Mile Scenic Route—not in one day—in 17 bite-sized neighborhood chunks, one walk at a time. The SF Chronicle called them the foremost authorities on it!
FROM THE AUTHORS:
“Unlike other guides, we have personally visited every site and led hundreds of people along the route. With three years of feedback, we have worked to make these walks an entertaining and informative adventure for visitors and locals.”
FUN, USER-FRIENDLY FEATURES:
Super friendly - and short - snippets of info cover dozens of points-of-interest, stories, and little-known history factoids. Plus fun quizzes!
And if you’ve ever had the frustration of a gps guide “dot on the map” that doesn’t show you which way you’re facing, we’ve solved that! Our clear, arrow, seagull indicator tells you where you’re facing.
Best of all, turn-by-turn notifications, a zoomable map, and a recenter button mean you cannot get lost. (We even help you find the nearest bathroom!)
Enjoy San Francisco to the fullest. Great for locals and visitors.
Free and premium gps-guided tours available
Walking tours along SF’s 49 Mile Scenic Drive include:
* directional gps with turn-by-turn notifications
* historic photos
* dozens of points-of-interest
* stories of heroes and villains
* fun facts
* bathroom locations!
* ~3 miles per urban hike
* hill steepness ratings!
* zoomable maps
* for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
Plus, FREE BONUS TOURS including:
1) Urban Ore: MUNI
* A fun ride on the N Judah pointing out historical points of interest and fun stories on the route
2) SF Buried Ships
* Ooo, spooky—stand over the ship graveyards around the City and learn about the sailors who abandoned them, lost cargo, and what archaeologists found
Image credit (Walk 2):
1. Arnold Genthe [Public domain], https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7b/Chinatownsf-large1.jpg
2. Library of Congress [Public domain], https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SanFrancisco1851a.jpg
3. Photo by Nancy Wong [CC BY-SA 3.0: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/], https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Protesters_in_front_of_the_International_Hotel.jpg
4. Chadwick, H. D [Public domain], https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Post-and-Grant-Avenue-Look.jpg
5. Michael Holley en:User:Swtpc6800 [Public domain], https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carol_Doda_Condor_Club_1973.jpg
Image credit (Walk 4):
Contemporary photos © Carolyn Eidson
Historic photos are public domain via US National Archives and Records Administration, U.S. Military Academy Library, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, National Parks Service
1. Non-renewed copyrighted material over 50 yrs old. “Walt Disney and his cartoon creation Mickey Mouse” from National Board of Review for October 1931, Volume VI, Number 8, page 6
2. Korean War photo courtesy of www.goodfreephotos.com
3. Crissy Field Overlook: Paxson Woelber [CC BY-SA 3.0: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/]
4. Golden Gate Bridge Illustration courtesy of Jett Atwood
* Southern Pacific, via http://wx4.org/to/foam/sp/san_fran/3rd/townsend.html
Urban Ore: MUNI includes content from the San Francisco Historical Society and Long Lost Oakland includes content from East Bay Yesterday.
Urban Ore: MUNI designs by Roberta Morris.
Address user feedback - fix copy errors and make user's selected quiz answer clearer
Ratings and Reviews
Fun, Easy, and Educational!
I had a great time using the app. One thing that I love about the app is that it adds an extra layer of fun and excitement to the actual walk. Being a native San Franciscan, I am always amazed at the amount of things I don’t know about the city’s history. This app (along with the book) gives you a lot of fun, cool, and interesting facts about the city that really serve to enhance your journey. Highly recommended!
Fantastic app to learn about Sf history and enjoy scenery
This app makes exploring sf AND learning about its interesting history easy and fun. It tells you where to go and at same time gives you interesting tidbits about history of buildings people neighborhoods. If you enjoy strolling soaking in beauty and appreciating historical context of what you are seeing this is your app
Great way to have fun and learn something new
We checked out a few of the walks and had a really fun time. Not only did we experience all the beauty our City offers but we also got to learn a few things along the way and some of that trivia will now be passed on to friends and visitors. Super fun.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- AlexandriaMus Inc.
- 550.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Gambling and Contests
- © AlexandriaMus Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- SF Chinatown, North Beach Walk $1.99
- SF Presidio Discovery Walk $1.99
- Golden Gate Park Walk $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.