The subway app for on-the-go: real-time arrivals & service status at your fingertips.
Tap a station directly on an official MTA subway map to see next trains & their real-time arrival info. Underway is optimized for offline experience, helpful during long subway rides underground: map is always available for browsing, as well as the most recent data loaded from the server.
Underway is a home-grown, independent project. We believe that public transportation should be user-friendly. Underway is supported by ad revenue and by in-app purchases.
- View arrivals for any subway station in real-time, mapped onto the latest published map by MTA
- Tap on any station on the map to instantly see incoming trains
- Compare train options using real-time data
- Find out service disruptions affecting subway lines
- Closed station indicators
- Doesn’t require GPS, which dramatically decreases battery life
- Locate nearby stations instantly upon launch, optional with GPS
- Share links to specific trains with friends so they can track your arrival in real-time!
Makespace - “Let’s face it: Google Maps can only get you so far. Made specifically with busy New Yorkers in mind, it’s an all-in-one commute compendium."
Brokelyn - ”In addition to the MTA’s online Subway Times, which offers the current arrival times by line & station and is accessible from the internet even beyond the subway’s hallowed platforms, Underway NYC now offers the same information but in app form & plotted to a subway map."
Viewing NYC - “[Underway] removes all the extra features & bloat of the transit apps and simply shows you how many minutes it is until the next train at your station."
WHAT OUR USERS SAY
- “For all its utility and minimalism, Underway also betrays the meticulousness of its creators“
- “I’ve been downloading various MTA apps for years, this is the one that made me say ‘finally!’”
- “No nonsense app. Subway essentials … packed in most logical & simple way.”
- ”Enjoy having the app in the daily toolbox. Use it when calculating how long I can stay at the concluding applause of a Lincoln Center event & still get line 1 to Times Square for shuttle to Grand Central. Does come in handy. Continued success."
- “It's perfect for night owls like me, who must often wait up to 15 minutes for the next train.”
- ”Underway matches my mental model of the subway.”
- ”Your team has built a totally indispensable app and it’s saved me countless minutes.”
We get our data live from the MTA, so when their feed has inaccuracies, so does ours.
Underway is supported by ads. You may remove ads by subscribing to “Underway Ad-Free,” available as an in-app purchase. The current price of “Underway Ad-Free” is 99-cents per month. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase, then charged for renewal 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, at the standard monthly rate of 99-cents.
Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your settings in the iTunes Store at any time, after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Underway is officially licensed from the MTA.
maps: © Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Used with permission.
symbols: ® or TM as applicable. Used with permission of Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
This update contains the latest subway map published by the MTA.
Ratings and Reviews
Mostly v helpful, flaky with some trains
Mostly even tho i like the app, i decided to write because it's been VERY flaky with the Q train. For instance (only 1 of several instances) this eve it said 4 min, I walk to stop and says 2 min--fine. After elevator i arrive at track and it says 5 min. I wait. 2nd F train arrives after a bit and now app says Q 7 min. I get on F train instead. Q shows up as F train doors close on me. Super aggravating!
Developer Response ,
Hey there Kineahora! Sorry to hear about the flakiness for the Q train. I've experienced it myself on other lines, and it's super frustrating!
Q trains' timestamps fluctuate more than others' because the MTA measures them using Bluetooth, which is less precise than other methods they use.
Glad you like app!
My go-to NYC subway app
Underway NYC is a relatively simple but perfectly capable app and is my go-to for arrival time and train service information. It shows the trains actually serving stations at that moment in time, accounting for re-routings and service changes very well. I love being able to click on a specific train and see how long until it reaches stations further down the line as it enables me to make informed decisions on connections. It doesn’t provide routing information but if you have a general sense of direction for the subway system this should be all you need to get from A to B. Highly recommended.
Essential subway app
This app is fantastic and has made my subway experience a lot better. It includes the official subway map, MTA service advisories, and subway arrival times in one clean, user friendly app. There are ads but they are minimal and hardly take away from the user experience.
Because of Underway, I no longer need to cram myself into a crowded A train if I see there’s another one coming in 2 minutes... or run to the station to catch the G train if I see it’s not coming for another 7 minutes...
I definitely recommend this app to anyone who rides the subway in NYC.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words. Glad we could help make the subway easier to use!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Sincere Labs NYC Inc
- 244.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Daniel Ramteke
- In-App Purchases
- Underway Ad-Free (Monthly) $0.99
- Underway Pro (Monthly) $5.99