The subway app for on-the-go: real-time arrivals & service status at your fingertips.
Tap a station directly on an official MTA subway map to see next trains & their real-time arrival info. Underway is optimized for offline experience, helpful during long subway rides underground: map is always available for browsing, as well as the most recent data loaded from the server.
Underway is a home-grown, independent project. We believe that public transportation should be user-friendly. Underway is supported by ad revenue and by in-app purchases.
- View arrivals for any subway station in real-time, mapped onto the latest published map by MTA
- Tap on any station on the map to instantly see incoming trains
- Compare train options using real-time data
- Find out service disruptions affecting subway lines
- Closed station indicators
- Doesn’t require GPS, which dramatically decreases battery life
- Locate nearby stations instantly upon launch, optional with GPS
- Share links to specific trains with friends so they can track your arrival in real-time!
Makespace - “Let’s face it: Google Maps can only get you so far. Made specifically with busy New Yorkers in mind, it’s an all-in-one commute compendium."
Brokelyn - ”In addition to the MTA’s online Subway Times, which offers the current arrival times by line & station and is accessible from the internet even beyond the subway’s hallowed platforms, Underway NYC now offers the same information but in app form & plotted to a subway map."
Viewing NYC - “[Underway] removes all the extra features & bloat of the transit apps and simply shows you how many minutes it is until the next train at your station."
WHAT OUR USERS SAY
- “I’ve been downloading various MTA apps for years, this is the one that made me say ‘finally!’”
- “No nonsense app. Subway essentials … packed in most logical & simple way.”
- ”Enjoy having the app in the daily toolbox. Use it when calculating how long I can stay at the concluding applause of a Lincoln Center event & still get line 1 to Times Square for shuttle to Grand Central. Does come in handy. Continued success."
- “It's perfect for night owls like me, who must often wait up to 15 minutes for the next train.”
- ”Underway matches my mental model of the subway.”
- ”Your team has built a totally indispensable app and it’s saved me countless minutes.”
We get our data live from the MTA, so when their feed has inaccuracies, so does ours.
Underway is supported by ads. You may remove ads by subscribing to “Underway Ad-Free,” available as an in-app purchase. The current price of “Underway Ad-Free” is 99-cents per month. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase, then charged for renewal 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, at the standard monthly rate of 99-cents.
Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your settings in the iTunes Store at any time, after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Underway is officially licensed from the MTA.
maps: © Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Used with permission.
symbols: ® or TM as applicable. Used with permission of Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
This update contains the July 2021 map published by the MTA.
Ratings and Reviews
Essential subway app
This app is fantastic and has made my subway experience a lot better. It includes the official subway map, MTA service advisories, and subway arrival times in one clean, user friendly app. There are ads but they are minimal and hardly take away from the user experience.
Because of Underway, I no longer need to cram myself into a crowded A train if I see there’s another one coming in 2 minutes... or run to the station to catch the G train if I see it’s not coming for another 7 minutes...
I definitely recommend this app to anyone who rides the subway in NYC.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words. Glad we could help make the subway easier to use!
love it - please add favorites
The app is perfect, except it would be great to have a fifth icon ("shortcuts" or “favorites”) which would open a layer screen where you can get to all your frequently used stations with a single click, instead of having to scroll around the map.
Updated to respond to the developer: For those of us who understand how to use Siri Shortcuts but prefer not to use them (for various reasons) it would be great to have the ability to access our frequently used stations with two taps inside the app (Favorites -> station name).
Developer Response ,
Hi MStyleFTW, just following up on your request -- we've added Favorites, which can be accessed using the new heart icon, and is also viewable outside the app as a widget. We'd love to hear what you think at email@example.com. Thanks for your review!
Love this app
This app is fantastic. You can open it and see what you need to see in less than 10 seconds. It’s awesome when a local train pulls up and you quickly wanna see how long until the express comes. Every other app has you clicking and loading and the train leaves before you find out the express isn’t coming for 10 minutes. Shoulda took that local.
My only complaint is that the pro version is so expensive, I want to support the developer but $6 a month is a lot.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Daniel Ramteke
- 52.5 MB
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Daniel Ramteke
- In-App Purchases
- Underway Ad-Free (Monthly) $0.99
- Underway Pro (Monthly) $5.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.