Fancy Unicode character map with lots of cool features. Support for things like custom keyboards and fonts.
Unicode Pad Pro specific Features:
• Custom keyboards can be used in any other iOS app
• Import and use any custom font into the app
• Support for Unicode 14 standard, which has many new symbols.
• Huge selection of symbols (thousands), in fact all that are available on your device. Database itself actually contains data for all characters (over 143000!).
• Copy characters to clipboard for use in other apps, like web, mail, chat, notes... any iOS app!
• Detailed information on each Unicode character, including encodings, extra info, similar characters and availability in fonts
• Extensive gesture support for smooth workflow!
• Drag and drop support!
• Notepad with customizable keyboards, for your often-used characters and for copying several characters at once. Great for casual writing, too!
• Custom keyboards can be used in any iOS app
• Share your custom keyboards with your friends!
• Quick access to many groups of commonly used symbols!
• Search for characters by name, hexadecimal codepoint or glyph! Find similar and related characters instantly!
• Great support for iPad multitasking - works great together with other apps
• Streamlined design, specifically optimized for each device. Support for all device orientations and Retina display.
• Support for dark mode.
• Fully tested on latest iOS
• Support for Backspace, New line, Shift and Alternate special keys on custom keyboards.
• Custom keyboard sizes up to 6x16=96 keys.
• View extended character descriptions on Wikipedia, unicode.org charts or Emojipedia right from inside the app!
• Copy glyphs as PDF graphics or PNG images
• Sections of favourite and recently copied characters
• One universal application works on iPhone, iPod and iPad!
• Reference booklet of characters available on modern computers! Paper Unicode maps are over 1000 pages long!
• Developers: see which characters are available on your iOS device!
• Great for scientific, mathematical and physics notation, handles many superscripts, subscripts and other symbols!
• Excellent for phonetic notation!
• Perfect for writing Unicode poetry!
• Awesome for making interesting app names!
• HTML entity names for relevant characters
• UNIHAN english definitions for CJK ideograms for many characters
• Flick left and right for next and previous characters in detail view
• Support for Unicode 14
• Updated fonts BabelstoneHan, Unifont, Scheherezade, Dai Banna
• New font Catrinity
• Haptic feedback when moving the cursor in editor. This is fun!
• Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
If it does what it says—HELP
This is an edited review, up from one star to 4. The implementation of the app is, let’s say, laconic. You pretty much have to figure it out UNLESS you discover (which I did in a promptly replied-to email to the developer) that “About Unicode Pro” at the very bottom left of what is functionally the home screen, is also where the documentation hides!!
That too is laconic but using it, if you have a clue about unicode at all (and if not, why are you buying this app?) you can do pretty wonderful things. I have to transliterate Middle Eastern Languages, and with Unicode Pro, some time and some patience, I am now able to enter all the characters I need (and more!) via a custom keyboard. Since I also use a hardware keyboard, this means I can have the transliteration keyboard open on the screen, and type normally until I need some weird character or other, and then, boom! Brilliant!
Five stars when the documentation is labeled “Help” or something similarly obvious. But an elegant little app, on the whole, and invaluable to me.
Developer Response ,
Done! The new version just released has a help button at the very top of the home screen. Hopefully this will make it more obvious. Thank you for your suggestions!
Like your app. Like the favorites too. Just thought of a new symbol you can add to your app. — title: Hidden= a box where you can install a hidden message or picture in your app or in Parentheses. By pressing the middle of the parentheses or brackets the hidden picture appears. Or put in a dot in the box or brackets telling you have a hidden message. If it is text, it will speak the message in English or any language in the box or? Like those emoji characters, but I don’t know what they mean: captions please. Keep adding...
An Indispensable Tool
If you are at all interested in working with fonts, get this app. Unicode Pad Pro is one of those powerful apps without any equal or alternative, one which fundamentally enhances the basic use of iOS. The character lookup is powerful. But it’s the ability to customize each key of the keyboards which makes this app absolutely nonpareil. When paired with a font installation tool such as FondFont, one is able to load custom fonts into iOS for any range or use.
The exceedingly small selection of default keyboard languages in iOS is scandalous. I request the Unicode Pad Pro dev to please consider allowing for customizing dictionaries for the keyboards, so that keyboards spellcheck input into any language. Some lookup window would be helpful for larger sets, too, such as in CJKVZ IMEs.
Also, the shift case in each keyboard no longer allows for caps lock. This makes things difficult for those of us using each subkeyboard. Please allow for caps lock?
A marvellous app. iOS would be diminished in power without UPP.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Ziga Kranjec
- 247.4 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Žiga Kranjec
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.