Universal Piper is a virtual instrument that reproduces faithfully the Sound of legendary bagpipes :
An Irish Uileann Pipe, two Great Highland Bagpipes and a Galician Gaita.
These sounds come from marvelous genuine Bagpipes recorded with great care.
Listen to Universal Piper on the website or SoundCloud : https://soundcloud.com/universal-piper
You can use Universal Piper different ways:
- to play Bagpipe with your electronic MIDI chanter/keyboard or on your iPhone/iPad screen,
- to accompany you playing your practice with great bagpipe drones,
- to listen to electronic scores in MIDI (file extension .MID) or BWW format (file extension .BWW)
Full Feature List :
- genuine natural and perfectly tuned bagpipe sound with and without effects,
- start/stop the drones,
- tuning control of the bagpipe,
- key control of the bagpipe +/- 12 semi-tones,
- drone/chanter balance control,
- piano like keyboard,
- BWW and MIDI file reader with tempo and BWW articulation control,
- coreMIDI compatible devices supported,
- Inter App Audio compatibility,
- MIDI keyboard and practice supported,
- background play mode to use another app while playing (for example : display a score)
List of the supported MIDI practices and their fingerings:
- Degerpipe : standard, extended,
- Degerpipe II : standard, extended,
- Degerpipe II+ : baroque, bechonnet, medieval, gaita, gaita extended,
- E-Pipe 15 : standard,
- Master Gaita : standard, asturian, french, GHB, galician, galician extended,
- OpenPipes : Bb3=MIDI 60,
- Redpipe : GHB standard, GHB minimal, GHB extended, France, gaita extended,
- Technopipe : GHB, asturian, galician closed, galician open, french half-closed, veuze, welsh, SSP, baghet, biniou, belarus, swedish, estonian, medieval, northumbrian, bulgarian, english
- Trino : Standard,
- Hevia : Standard
- p2chanter : GHB and smallpipes
- Generic Midi Chanter : Bb3=MIDI 70
Note : the technochanter is NOT a MIDI chanter therefore not compatible.
For optimal reactivity using a MIDI instrument, ipad, ipod touch 6 or iphone 5s or later is advised.
An adapter, not included, is required to connect your MIDI instrument to your device.
- Audio engine – stucking notes on fast note sequences fixed
- Audio engine – chanter start smoothed
- Audio engine – improved compatibility with Inter App Audio. Pocket Bagpipe now appears as a IAA Generator instead of Instrument
- Player – manual position on MIDI file fixed
- User interface – holding button now 3 sec instead of 1 sec to centre to prevent misuse
- User interface – IAA DAW quick access button added
- MIDI – Hevia MIDI controller standard fingering added
- MIDI – p2chanter MIDI controller GHB and Smallpipes fingerings added
- MIDI – technopipe fingering entirely reviewed :
- Completed : asturian and GHB. Drone activation has been set. If you used one of those fingering, change the fingering temporarily and switch back to your desired fingering to reset the drone configuration.
- Added : veuze, welsh, SSP, baghet, biniou, belarus, swedish, estonian, medieval, northumbrian, bulgarian, english
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Doesn't work as described
I bought this for use with my Techno chanter. It doesn't work. Instructions are poor and support doesn't exist.
Best bagpipe app!!!!
I like how you can use midi controllers.
But I use a echanter. It will not work with the app. If you put a irig interface with the app it would let me use the drone reeds along with my echanter.
My echanter is not midi but it uses a ardurino extra core chip. If you added the setting to do this That would be the ball.
This is a very fun app. I'm using it with my fagerstrom technopipes. Very responsive , realistic bagpipe sounds. Easy to use and stable app. I easily imported custom bagpipe presets from the full featured OS X version.
The developer, Universal Piper, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Mickael COULON
- 128.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2018 Universal Piper
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.