Requires a Mac with Bluetooth LE running macOS High Sierra or newer, and an iOS device with Bluetooth LE running iOS 11.2 or newer.
Please make sure your devices fully support before purchasing Unlox.
• Works with multiple Macs, iOS devices and Apple Watches at once.
• Unlock your Mac using Touch ID, Face ID, passcode, or Apple Watch..
• Interactive notifications – you don't even have to unlock your iOS device!
• Control your Mac's audio and volume – works with iTunes & Spotify!
• Manually lock your Mac or start screensavers.
• AutoLock when your iOS device moves away from your Mac.
• AutoWake & automatic unlocking when returning to your Mac.
• 3D Touch shortcuts.
• Notification Center widget – unlock your Mac from anywhere on your iOS device.
• See your MacBook's battery level in the widget.
• Share clipboard text to and from your Mac.
• Choose from beautiful colour schemes and change the app icon.
• Use to authorise tasks that require your macOS admin password. (Admin accounts only)
• Never connects to the Internet without your consent.
• Your macOS password is never broadcast and never leaves your Mac.
• Incredibly simple to use but packed full of features and options.
You don't need to open the app to unlock your Mac. Unlox Intelligently sends notifications when one of your connected Macs is woken up, which you can action directly from your iOS lock screen using either your fingerprint, face or passcode.
Action notifications when tasks require your macOS admin password, like moving protected files to Trash or changing a setting. (Admin accounts only)
You can also play, pause and skip iTunes & Spotify on your Mac remotely. Audio controls work anywhere the physical keys would on your Mac. Now you can even control your Mac's volume level!
Press hard on the app icon to quickly access settings or to lock and unlock your Macs.
Create URL schemes to lock and unlock your Mac from other apps like Shortcuts.
Clipboard sharing is built right in – share any piece of text quickly and reliably.
Enable AutoLock and your Mac will automatically lock when your iOS device moves away from it. You will even get notified when your Mac locks itself.
Enable AutoWake and your Mac will wake its display when your iOS device gets near, with the option to automatically unlock it.
Includes a handy Notification Center widget, which will show all your currently connected Macs and give you quick access to lock and unlock them from anywhere on your iOS device.
iPad HARDWARE KEYBOARD SUPPORT
Great support for hardware keyboards so you can zip about the UI really quickly and intuitively.
The iOS app needs to be paired with the free Unlox for macOS companion app, which you must download from unlox.it/get
Pairing Unlox for iOS with Unlox for macOS will enable Tap to Unlock, an exclusive way to unlock your Mac by tapping a custom tap pattern into your Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse. Exclusive to Unlox.
Unlox is not compatible with MacID.
Hello, everyone! Thank you for your continued support. Independent developers like me truly appreciate everyone's support and patience while working on updates. The best thing you can do to continue to support us is to leave a review in the App Store. Thank you!
- Provides a fix to stop Unlox for iOS' underlying database file from growing way too large, eventually crashing the app.
- Provides a fix for people who's database files were too large to load into the app, causing the app to crash before Unlox for iOS could apply the regular fix added. Unfortunately the only fix for this once it's crashing is to delete the underlying database file, so you'll need to set up again if this affects you. Apologies!
- Fixes the widget not working correctly with Dark Mode.
- Improves Unlox for watchOS, but I would like to completely re-write the Apple Watch app to make it faster and more useful..
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
It Does Exist
Was wondering if someone wrote an app that acted like the Apple Watch to unlock my new iMac, and someone did! Thanks!
The creator is obviously dealing with multiple complex systems (iOS and macOS) and seems very sincere about making everything work, which it does mostly, but I had to do a bit of “guesswork” to set things up. With most apps, I don’t need to read the help to make it work, but this is a fairly complicated two-app chain.
Perhaps some type of automated setup could be done? Anyway, with current releases on both OSs (Catalina & 13.2), and experience with other apps, I guessed about the Accessibility setting, and that I could delete the older version of the app (not sure why it’s still on the AppStore).
It will take a bit of getting used to, but congratulations on a very cool app! And, as a side benefit, I can replace my relatively simple password with a 1Password “generated” password, since I don’t have to type it in now, and FaceID protects it even more.
Totally worth it (still)!
So, I finally decided to sit down and check what was going up with MacID. Updated the mac App and got the message about the changes...I also noticed I missed my "promo" window (or something) because I'm not getting a discount, but guess what? I don't care! I hit the purchase button and set everything up in like 2 mins it was a breeze to set up and it's so snappy!
This is one of those apps that you just want to keep supporting, such a great job, the tap to unlock has been my unlocking option since I got this app. And now with Apple watch even easier.
Congratulations to the dev for getting the app accepted, Nevermind the name change, your good work speaks volumes!! Sometimes we just have to embrace the changes. Keep it up you totally deserve it and thank you for this great app!
Is not usable
Technically the product does work in that if you connect it all up, if when you walk away you don’t walk more than about 20 feet it will lock your Mac. And if you didn’t walk more than 20 feet away, when you come back it will unlock it. So it does what it says it will. However, if you walk more than 20 some feet away from your Mac, which is sort of pretty normal behavior, when you come back it will have lost connectivity between the phone and Mac and simply will not unlock the Mac.
To get it to work you have to go sign back in to the app on the Mac, have it forget your phone, reconnect to your phone, and then don’t ever walk away. Which sort of defeats the purpose of the app.
So it does work, as long as you never leave your Mac. The premise is fantastic, the execution has some good ideas, it just lacks the ability to actually work. It needs to have a wake-up mode like you do when you take a Bluetooth mouse out of range, and then back in range.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.