Uzu, An Interactive Light Show 4+
Designed for iPad
* Winner of Apple's "App of the Week"
* Apple Rewind Best Generative Art and Sound App
* Reached #1 in the App Store
* Featured in Apple's "App Store Essentials Hall of Fame"
* Seen in the "Year of the iPad" Video at the iPad Keynote
* Featured as an Apple Staff Favorite
"This is doodling for digital natives . . . mind blowing." - Wired Magazine
"Uzu for iPad is endlessly complicated, simply fun" - Ars Technica
"This is absolutely the coolest iPad app I’ve ever come across. Heck, it’s likely the most awesome app for ANY device ever." - Chris Pirillo
:::: DESCRIPTION ::::
Uzu is a Generative Design Playground - a sort-of math-physics-art-toy for anyone who ever loved spirographs, fireworks, planetariums, lava lamps, light sabers, pen lasers, tesla coils, christmas lights, or graphing calculators.
Points of light will shoot across the screen and fly to your command, twirling in a vortex of color and motion. Freeze and move Uzu in 3d space while contorting spirographic curves with your fingers. Uzu lets you quickly switch between 10 different modes of real-time animation by simply changing the number of touches you're using. You can spend countless hours discovering the many unique ways of playing and interacting with Uzu.
:::: FEATURES ::::
** Fully dynamic generative particle system
** Create incredible background images for your iPhone or iPad
** 21 unique animation modes can be applied to each number of touches
** 55 Pre-loaded factory presets
** Full customization of all features and settings
** Create and save user presets
** "Re-wire" animation modes as you see fit
** Rotational, translational, and reflective symmetry for each animation mode
** Thousands of possible combinations
** Drawing mode
** Animations respond to microphone input
** In-app quick help
:::: UZU ON FACEBOOK ::::
:::: SUPPORT ::::
If you have any problems, questions, or stories you would like to share, please feel free to email me, and I'll answer as soon as I can.
--- VERSION 3.2.1
- Fixed bug where mic input wasn't working correctly on some devices
--- VERSION 3.2
This update includes high frame rates, slow motion, and microphone audio responsiveness. In order to make high frame rates possible I had to rewrite all of the animation modes to support a variable time scale. I was then able to use this variable time scale to respond to audio from the microphone. There is a slider in the options panel that allow you to adjust the microphone sensitivity. Thank you so much to all the people who continue to download and support this app.
- Support for high frame rates. Uzu will now use the maximum frame rate of the device. This means 60fps for iPhone and iPad and 120fps for iPad Pro.
- Introduced "Time Scale" property slider that allows you to adjust the speed of the animations without changing the overall shape. See Uzu in slow mo!
- Renamed "Speed" to "Energy". This was done to help differentiate the two properties for affecting the overall speed.
- Uzu now reacts to audio from the microphone. When this mode is enabled, Uzu maps the mic levels to the "Time Scale" property.
- Added mic button to quick action menu.
- The quick action menu now hides when touching the screen.
- The quick action menu hides after a shorter period when not touching the screen.
- Added a slider in the options panel to adjust microphone sensitivity.
- Fixed a number of UI bugs where text would be the wrong color.
Ratings and Reviews
Now I get it!!
Great visual entertainment! However, where are the instructions about how to save your own formula? I press + to add a new title, but then if I press Done and then make changes in the design parameters and color choices, they don't "Save". What's step one, then step 2, etc. Thanks for your quick response! 👏👏👏 After I wrote the review I thought, maybe it works in an opposite way to what I thought. So I chose a preset that I liked but wanted to tweak. It worked! Love that the user can create their own. It would have saved a lot of time & frustration, however, if a brief paragraph of instructions were included. Hoping you'll consider adding one next update. Changing my 3 🌟 🌟 🌟 to 5 now that I know how to do my own presets. Thanks again!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you're having issues with the UI. When you create a new preset by pressing the "+" button, you're saving the current state of all the controls in that new preset. I made it this way to help from accidentally saving over something you already like. So all you need to do is play with the controls until you get something you like, then just create a new preset from those settings.
I’ve been using this app for a very long time. It’s great for a visual relaxation. It’s eye candy. And it’s fun just to interact with. My question to the developer is this: can I use screenshots from the app for my own personal use? I am in the process of brainstorming and working to develop my own Tarot card deck. I wanted to know if I had permission to use screenshots from the app to layer as a background on my cards. I sent a message on the Facebook page, but haven’t heard anything back. I would certainly include the app and the developer when giving credits. Please let me know. And thanks in advance.
Just get it. Right meow. And prepare to 🤯.
This. Trust me, fellow wanderer. Get it and see for yourself, not worth reading another review.
Such a beautiful little app. Can tell the makers use and love their own product. Wonderfully designed, easy to use, yet powerful enough to do what anyone wants it to.
I absolutely love how the simple taps, touches, and motions of my fingers provide such a deep level control, it comes so naturally and always turns out looking amazing... at times, it feels like you’re creating universes! Just too cool!
Cannot wait to watch the jaws drop when I have people over and casually cast this onto my TV.
Not sure how to do that yet, but there MUST be a way! My only recommendation would be to make that stupid easy, and... Ability to integrate it with wireless color changing LED lights (eg Philips Hue), so that you can immerse an entire room great vibes between music, visualizer, and lights.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Jason K Smith
- 8.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Jason K Smith
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.