Training platform for runners and coaches including personalized running paces. Unlike other running apps, VDOT O2 determines your proper training and race paces, based on the science and formulas of legendary coach Dr. Jack Daniels.
-”Dr. Jack Daniels has had a bigger influence on training-for-running than anyone. He might be considered the Albert Einstein of the sport." - Runner’s World Magazine
If you’re an athlete who runs to improve fitness or race times, VDOT O2 helps assess fitness and provide a safer and more productive training experience with individualized training paces.
• Create workouts, log and track your fitness improvements
• Custom training paces AUTOMATICALLY generated based on your current fitness level
• Import GPS data (currently compatible with Strava and Garmin Connect)
• Compete globally in VDOT Challenge Virtual Racing Series
• Work with your coach, communicate and adjust training
• Sync workouts/pace targets to Garmin for real-time guidance
If you’re a coach working with beginners, high school, college, elite or recreational runners, VDOT makes your life easier. Start managing your athletes: provide a better training experience, prescribe more effective training and help your athletes achieve their racing goals.
• Easily track your athletes’ weekly mileage
• Publish custom workouts with built-in paces to individuals or to your entire team in minutes
• Easily communicate and provide feedback on workouts with notifications
• Easily update training paces according to recent race results
• Save and apply favorite workouts and training templates
• Set up a VDOT Marketplace profile to market your coaching services
Science And Evidence-Based Training Method (VDOT).
VDOT is a measure of your current running fitness.
After examining the performances and measured VO2max and VO2 sub-max (running economy) of runners (spanning several decades) over a wide range of speeds and race distances, it was clear that runners of equal race times often did not have equal, or even near-equal VO2max values. It also became clear that running economy was as important as VO2max in evaluating performance.
VDOT values are associated with all endurance-race times (800-marathon), which is clearly an ideal way to compare performances over a variety of events and runners of a variety of performances.
Thousands of coaches, and millions of athletes worldwide have relied on VDOT, a proven training methodology popularized in Daniels’ Running Formula, and based on over 50-years of scientific research. Because the methodology is based on exercise science principles and human physiology, runners of all ages and both recreational and elite runners all benefit the same when it comes to improving running fitness.
- "If the best measure of good training techniques is staying power, then Jack Daniels has set the gold standard. I continue to employ his techniques years after meeting him in 1980." - Joan Benoit Samuelson
* Bug Fixes
Ratings and Reviews
a smart app worthy of your smartphone
I’ve been running for years on my own with little to no training plan in place and stagnating as a result. The ease and accessibility of the Vdot02 app and its experienced coaches take the guess work out of building a smart, sustainable, and strengthening program that I can stick to. In a world of one-size fits all training apps, it’s awesome to have a program that’s designed specifically for me and my goals and doesn’t break the bank! Plus, I can’t deny the results!
It’s super easy to use and syncs up with your favorites (I use it with Strava, no problem.)
Run, don’t walk, to an AppStore near you...oh and the app also made me better at puns ;)
Front runner training app, with some big bugs to work through.
I’ve had this app for a couple of weeks as I’ve been training and I just have 3 problems with it.
First, that I can’t edit a workout after it’s been added and synced, So I can’t say “no this is the activity that I want targeted!”, it picks first and doesn’t let you change it, more freedom to edit would be wonderful.
Second, you have to act like your own coach planning workouts, I can’t just say “workout tomorrow” it has to be a set amount of reps and distance, but I can’t say that because I have no idea until I’m about to do it!
Third, I can’t add an easy run after I already ran it, they won’t connect and it won’t add to my training log, instead if I push “completed easy run” it doubles my distance for that run.
Overall great app and so smart, I’m learning a lot from it and it’s good for organizing my training and keeping track, but more freedom is necessary for this app to work right. Or you have to strenuously plan, add, keep track, and try to keep up, but if you would free it up for editing on runs and workouts, it would become the greatest organization, training, coaching app out there. Good luck
Best decision I made all year
This app and accompanying program has taken my running game to the next level. The hardest part for me is getting out the door and these coaches make it so easy. I was skeptical at first, but they’re great - knowledge, accessible, accommodating to a hectic work life balance and genuinely work with you to reach your goals or even just talk through how things are going.
I highly recommend this app to anyone looking for a push, will benefit from structured workouts and is open to leaning more about training routines 👍 🏃
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- The Run SMART Project, LLC
- 71.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © The Run SMART Project, LLC.
- In-App Purchases
- Adaptive Training Subscription $12.99
- Marathon - 18 weeks $79.99
- Half Marathon - 15 weeks $69.99
- Marathon - 15 weeks $69.99
- Marathon - 24 weeks $99.99
- Base/Fitness - 8 weeks $44.99
- 5 Km - 12 weeks $54.99
- Half Marathon - 12 weeks $54.99
- Half Marathon - 18 weeks $79.99
- Jack's Boston Marathon - 18wks $94.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.