SUMMER PROMO: This app is now FREE for a limited time only!
Since 1999, HappyCow has helped users find vegan-options at 140,000+ restaurants, cafes, and grocery stores in 180+ countries. Now it's easy to find vegan food delivery nearby, or get takeout. Read 780,000+ reviews and see 950,000+ photos posted by our awesome community! With HappyCow, you can search for vegan-friendly bakeries, health food stores, catering, farmers markets, juice bars, coffee shops, or other types of vegan businesses and use filters for delivery and take-away!
• Filter by Vegan, Delivery, Take-out, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, cuisine types, and more!
• Easily search near you, or nearby an address (perfect for planning a trip!)
• Order food for delivery and take-away via an easy link (within USA)
• Plan your travels by using our interactive map and saving places for offline viewing
• Find popular and undiscovered eateries with keywords and cuisine filters: perfect for foodie adventures and Instagram pics!
• See hours, directions, photos, and reviews - so easy!
► COMMUNITY & ENGAGE:
• Join the largest Veg community with 500,000+ people who are changing the world!
• Search or browse to find like-minded people to connect with and send instant messages.
• Add restaurants to your Favorite list or Travel list
• Upload photos & submit reviews at places you love! Track where you’ve been!
• Content is updated 24/7 by a dedicated team and 2 million+ monthly visitors
• HappyCow is supported in Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Spanish, and now Portuguese.
Please contact us before leaving feedback or rating -- we’d like to help you. Send us a message: email@example.com
► CONTRIBUTE TO HAPPYCOW
HappyCow is a community-run app, and we rely on users like you to keep our content up-to-date.
Can't find your fave vegan place on HappyCow? List it!
See an issue with an existing listing? Send an update!
Our app is a 1-time fee (NOT monthly subscription), but if you’re unsure about us, check out our free website happycow.com to find amazing restaurants near you!
HappyCow apps use your device location to find restaurants near your current location. We do not store your device location on our servers.
HappyCow apps provide you with a way upload restaurant photos from your existing library on your device. We never access your photos until you choose to view them from within the app.
HappyCow app allows you to take photos of your favorite restaurants, which we encourage you to share with our users. The app stores these photos with your other pictures on your device so you may admire them whenever you please, or upload at a later date. We never access your camera or save photos until you perform those actions from within the app.
Vegan powered by HappyCow.com
Further improved the add listing flow to make adding new places to HappyCow happen more efficiently.
We've also resolved some bugs, and further optimized things.
Please email if you have any feedback, issues, or ideas: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Made it possible to add your own photos and a review when submitting a new business in-app.
* Added "Spas" and "Coffee / Tea Shops" categories based on your suggestions.
* Added the venue submission form directly in the app and made a shorter version for those who want an easy way to tell HappyCow about new places.
* We've improved the flow for Apple login
* Added support for adding / deleting photos from from both Explore and Me tabs
* Added option in "Edit profile" to change username and password
* Improved photo "Like" function
* Added flip transition to go from a single photo to the gallery.
* Added a feature which you can opt into that will notify you right away when new places are added. Just subscribe in the notification section of your profile.
* Improved the map marker info, making it easier to decide on the best vegan options.
* We've added the option to upload multiple avatars - share your passion with the community.
* We added the cuisine type "African". Soon we'll have more results assigned to it.
* We’ve clarified the benefits of becoming a member of HappyCow and made it easier for you to create an account.
* Updated the map marker cards to show more information and make finding a great place to eat easier.
* We’re working hard to keep improving your experience, making it even easier to decide on where to eat. You may now swipe through reviews and see the photos members uploaded directly on their reviews. We’ve also improved the iPad layouts and fixed some translation issues.
* Have you wanted the main vegan button to show you all types of vegan listings, not only restaurants? Now you have full control with a simple touch. We've updated the filters to allow easy access to some of the most popular options. Quickly view all the fully vegan options like Bakeries, Food Trucks, and Market Vendors. See which places are Open Now, have Delivery, Breakfast, Pizza, or offer bakery items with a single click. Additionally, we've improved the edit profile tab to make updating easier.
Also included are bug-fixes and optimizations.
Ratings and Reviews
Best Search Tool for Vegan places
It’s easy to be mislead by ads or SEO’s that some restaurants have and then when you check them they barely have more than one vegan option in their menus (when they have any).
Also, to be honest, most of us vegans prefer to be patrons of restaurants 100% vegan, and thats what makes HAPPY COW app vegan’s best friend.
It’s worth it the small fee that actually supports the app development and is more than worth it to have it available for any time you decide to explore new cities and new vegan food places worldwide. Yes, the collective contribution to add as much information about vegan places is real.
The beauty of the app is also that it takes in consideration the differences between restaurants with vegan or vegetarian offers, restaurants that are vegan and vegetarian friendly and the ones that are 100% vegan that very often accommodate people that are also gluten-free, soy free, etc. I’m happy that I’ve been using it for a year now and I’ll keep using it because it rocks !!!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the detailed review Mel! We are happy to have to in the community 🐮💜
Just use Google, honestly it’s way better
In response to Happy Cow’s response: You suggest “lowering your standards” and adding establishments that only offer “a few” vegan friendly options - excuse me but I thought the purpose of this app was to guide us vegans to restaurants that have vegan friendly options, even if it’s only “a few.” Maybe I misunderstood the premise of this app? I don’t think so. And I tried adding the place we ate at in Ely, NV and the website made me feel like it wasn’t appropriate to add it so I didn’t. Stupid questions like “are you SURE they have more than a few vegan options?” No, I’m not sure but I’d still like other vegans to know they can get a pizza there if they’d like. Google can do that, too. Google all the way. (Original review:)This used to be a great and helpful app for finding vegan food nearby - when I was in Seattle. Now, not so much. A month ago I went on the road and was fully expecting this app to help guide me to vegan friendly establishments. That has not been the case. For example, I’m sitting in Ely, Nevada right now and when I search in Happy Cow one restaurant pops up and it’s closed. However, when I search in google I found a pizza joint, a Mexican restaurant and a couple other places that offer vegan friendly options. I was borderline angry when I discovered that because I paid for this stupid app. I’m on the road 100% of the time and I’d suggest just using google and not waste your money on this app.
Developer Response ,
HappyCow is very different from Google as we focus exclusively on vegan-option restaurants and provide a break-down and filters like no other service does. An additional advantage of HappyCow is that the reviews on our site are mostly written by vegans/vegetarians, so the perspective of our reviews is more tailored to other vegans and vegetarians. In larger cities where there are more plentiful options, this advantage becomes much more apparent.
We also list 14+ other types of vegan-related businesses. Our app allows you to filter out and search by each listing type. We also have a number of features in the app, like being able to plan out your trip and save the data offline, search by “gluten-free” or “organic”, sort by what’s popular and much more. If you continue to use the app, I think you will see that it has many useful features.
Unlike listing sites like Google which aren’t vegan-centric and are populated by computers, HappyCow offers hand-curated listings. We verify each listing as fully vegan, vegetarian, or a vegan-option restaurant. To reach our goals of quality listings, our submission form may seem a bit clunky, but we’re always working to improve it and value your feedback & ideas.
The pizza place you mention which doesn't have specific options catering to vegans likely would not fit into our criteria. If we allow every restaurant to be listed on HappyCow, we feel our service can become more cluttered and less useful, especially in areas with a higher concentration of listings. We always decide what to list on a case-by-case basis and do make exceptions in areas where little exists. We’re focused on adding places that make an honest attempt at offering vegan options without a lot of menu hacking. For example, most pizza restaurants offer the option to remove cheese on request to make it vegan-friendly but we don’t feel that alone is making an effort to provide adequate vegan options. If you still believe places are missing which are on Google for Ely, please email (email@example.com) some examples and we’ll gladly investigate. HappyCow is maintained by the community and we encourage you to add places that you feel deserve to be listed. Let us know what you feel is missing!
Please consider revising your review and rating based on the actual features and quality of data the app offers rather than assuming we would block listings you haven’t yet put through the submission process.
Thank you. TeamCow.
A must have for any vegan/vegetarian.
Upon going vegan I chose not to purchase this app due to the higher than average price, but since then I have had many great meals thanks to this app which makes it well worth the cost. The app has some issues that need to be worked upon and the kind developer team has informed me that they are aware of them and are doing their best to integrate them.
I recommend this app to anyone who is traveling or living in a metropolitan area where there may be vegan/vegetarian restaurants unknown to them. For those who reside in the suburbs and don’t travel I recommend you use the free website to see what types of options there are around you at one time. I wish there were vegan/veg restaurants everywhere but that is not always the case so check the website first.
I hope that the happy cow community grows because for now I use happy cow to locate the restaurant but google to see the reviews and photos. If a rest isn’t on happy cow has a large number of positive reviews and photos it’s bound to be a home run of a a meal.
Developer Response ,
Hi Stephen, we understand this issue and on the website there already exists such a filter. We thought that we'd add chain listings as the new functionality to filter them was being coded, but seems it's taking more time to get that functionality in the apps. It will be there soon though, please be patient!
For now, we suggest filtering out VegOptions in a city like Manhattan, or choosing a very small search radius, ie 1 mile.
Hope you will update your review now that you understand this issue better and show support with a 5-star rating. For HappyCow to improve we rely on success here, and updating your review will help keep the project going.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- HappyCow, Inc
- 70.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2011-2021, HappyCow Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.