VENICE, an app in the Art & Culture series, is something different in tourism: a cultural travel guide that offers comprehensive, expert coverage of all the sights and attractions, all the things to do and see, complete practical information and detailed maps.
VENICE is the app that takes you deeper, with a definitive account of the city’s fabulous history, its culture and ceremony, its monuments and its art. We don’t do hotels and restaurants; instead, we offer a cultural companion that can enrich your visit like no other guide.
VENICE reveals every aspect of the Serenissima’s history, architecture, art, festivals, personalities and oddities, in over 500 in-depth articles covering everything from Venice's courtesan culture to its role in the invention of opera, from the secrets of the mosaics in the Basilica at Torcello to the story behind Harry's Bar.
Thorough, erudite and sophisticated, but written with a sense of fun, Venice: Art & Culture is the creation of Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls, authors of over thirty Cadogan Guides and experts on all things Mediterranean. It’s also the first in a new series—Art & Culture Guides— that is dedicated to bringing the old ideal of an informed, serious guidebook into the digital world.
• Up-to-date opening hours, prices, and details of all sites
• Essential info for arriving and getting around Venice
• Plans of the important sites
• Sparkling insights and tips on visiting Venice's unequalled collection of art, churches, palazzi and museums
• Biographies of all the great artists, writers, and musicians who contributed to Venice's unique culture, with links to their works
• Detailed Grand Canal tour
• Where and how to enjoy Venice's great events, from the Festa della Redentore to the Biennale
• Create your own list of favourite attractions; plan your own itinerary
• Instantly locate works of art and architecture in Venice by artist, architect or period
• Mark your hotel on the map, so you never get lost in the Venetian maze
Fix broken links, typos.
Fix a navigation issue in iOS 14.
Improve layout on Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Ratings and Reviews
Just the right amount of info to further whet your appetite for Venice. I kept reading after I returned home.
Like Touring with a Venetian
There is so much I missed in Venice because I visited there before this app was available! Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls have put together another beautifully presented, extensively researched, user-friendly app packed with little known facts and background stories, such as the role of the printing press in Venice. Included are links to even more detailed explanations, should the user want more, and maps marked with every place to see. Even though I discovered this app after my visit, to me it was fascinating to read these writers' presentation of places I did visit, and to learn, for example, the story of the famous miracle. If I had had their app at the time, I would surely have visited, and not overlooked, such places as the Breasts Bridge. Seeing so many vividly beautiful photos transported me back in time to my own Venice trip. Not only did I learn fascinating information about the places I remember, but I am now motivated to return to see all the places I missed.
Must-have App for Venice
We've been to Venice many times, but these visits would have been a far richer experience if we had had this app! Now, instead of just boating down the Grand Canal looking at all the pretty buildings, I now know what's inside them and how I can visit them and what I will see. The authors, Dana Facaros and Michael Pauls, have written Cadogan guides for years, but now they've turned to sharing their wealth of knowledge with us via apps. This app is very well organized -- I found I could access any bit of information that I wanted on the spot with a quick tap of a finger tip. The writing style is the same as their Cadogan guides -- informative, but irreverent, fun and easy to read. I like that they include a lot of history and social context, but never, ever boring! Frankly, this app is interesting enough to stand alone as a good read sitting in my armchair at home. Get this app now!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Wu Wei Ltd
- 65.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 Dana Facaros & Michael Pauls
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.