VeroSMS is a SMS Spam filter app focused on maintaining users privacy, it filters spam texts using keywords that you set and using crowdsourced data of keywords that other people in your region set.
This way none of the SMSs are sent to any server for analysis and your messages remain confidential.
# Free Features:
- Unlimited keywords for blacklisting.
- Unlimited keywords for whitelisting.
- Auto-block texts containing URLs from unknown people.
- Only blocks texts from people not in your contact list.
- SMS Spam Reporting to TRAI (India only).
# Premium Features:
- Machine learning based filtering.
- iCloud sync for any keywords you add.
- Auto-filtering of spam based on keywords that other people in your region add.
- Basically does all the work for you. Just unlock premium and forget, all crowdsourced keywords will be periodically updated in background.
For info on how to enable SMS Spam reporting extension open this in your browser: verosms.com/reportspam
- Supports new iOS 14 APIs to organise SMS into Transactional and Promotional.
- Report SMS to TRAI should now work better for some carriers such as Vodafone.
- Added toggle to optionally disable crowdsourced keywords.
Please take a moment to leave a nice rating for this app if you found it useful, this app is maintained by a single person and receives frequent updates, a rating goes a long way to help me keep building.
Ratings and Reviews
Still get blocked SMS on Watch
The developer emailed me back and said that there’s an Apple bug that prevents synced devices like the Apple Watch from blocking the SMS. So, it’s automatically moved to a junk folder on your phone and there is no notification for the spam message on your phone, but your watch will still get the notification.
The app should have a disclaimer about this in the description because I would not have paid for this app’s premium features if I would have known about this issue that makes the app not function as advertised beforehand.
Edit: Been using the app a few days and it IS nice that the spam message doesn’t show up on phone (but still notifies on the watch), so raising from 2 stars to 3.
Finally Something that Works
I have tried a lot of other apps. Only a couple actually worked but required a subscription and still didn’t block certain spam text. Having the ability to put in custom words in is amazing. AI can be good at blocking but sometimes being able to add your own words is just better. May take a bit to get everything typed in, but it’s worth it in the end. I was getting 10-20 spam text a day. It’s already stopped them since I installed it a couple hours ago, they were put in the junk folder. Only thing I wish it had was the ability to block the text notifications on my Apple Watch. Hoping maybe that will be something added later on. For now because I get so many text I just disabled notifications for text on my watch.
My mother was getting really annoyed by all of the spam messages she was receiving (especially the frequent notifications). She was starting to turn her phone ringer off at night, which was not good if we needed to contact her. I researched filtering options with her iPhone and with Verizon but didn’t find anything helpful. This app had a good rating so I installed it on her phone. It’s been on for about a week and so far is working very well. It’s easy to add whitelist and blacklist words to make sure that she’s getting all of the authentic messages and none of the spam. The only change I would make would be to add a “select all” option in the spam folder to make it easier to delete everything. Other than it is a great app and has made Mom’s life a lot less irritating.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Tanmay Sonawane
- 17.8 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Tanmay Sonawane
- In-App Purchases
- Premium Features $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.