ViewRanger is now part of Outdooractive.
We recommend new users to download the new Outdooractive app instead of ViewRanger.
Search for "Outdooractive" and download the app for free.
If you are already using ViewRanger, we offer you an easy way to move to Outdooractive.
>> IN-APP SUBSCRIPTIONS
We offer a range of auto-renewing subscriptions. Prices are clearly displayed in the app.
Subscribe, pay, and manage subscriptions in your iTunes account. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period at the subscription price option you have previously selected. Subscriptions automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Refunds not provided for any unused portion of subscription.
APPLE HEALTH provides detailed information about your activity, including the number of steps you’ve walked and your heart rate (when using Apple Watch™ or Bluetooth 4.0 enabled devices). Tracks recorded from activities in ViewRanger can be saved to Apple Health as workouts.
- Some small visual enhancements and bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
ViewRanger is absolutely the best outdoor navigation app for your phone or watch. I have used it for ten years. It has the widest selection of maps and the ability to plan routes, download routes from others, and save your own points of interest. You can save maps to your watch and navigate without your phone. If it had a step counter and connected to a heart rate monitor I wouldn’t need any other app for fitness or navigation. It would also be nice if you could record tracks directly on your watch. Currently your watch has to be tethered to your phone to record a track. It would also be nice if you could record points of interest directly on your watch.
Buggy and syncing is a mess
I stumbled across this app recently when looking for a replacement to my current GPS logger. It’s pretty feature-full, while still being simple enough for most people to use. The peak identifier is excellent and makes hikes more interesting.
Some things that need improvement:
- This app requires manual syncing of your tracks and trails. Why can’t it just automatically sync its data like every other app? I’ve also run into issues where I delete routes/tracks on my device, then when I sync, it re-downloads what I deleted from the server. Very frustrating.
- Apple Watch has become very unreliable. Whenever I used to start a track, the watch would show me how much I have left. It just doesn’t do that anymore. It will show the graph for distance remaining, but it’s useless because it’s completely inaccurate and doesn’t update.
- I’m not interested at all in a social feed aspect of trail tracking. It would be nice to not have to have this front and center every time I go to the page that has my routes and tracks.
- The settings can be a bit confusing and convoluted. For example, under Settings > GPS, there is a switch for GPS on or off. I don’t know the purpose of this. GPS automatically goes on when you start making a track, why is there a separate switch here?
I am a subscriber, but will likely be canceling due to these frustrations (particularly with Apple Watch, which was not happening before).
I’ve been trying this app out in order to track the areas I walk around Gaborone Botswana. So far I am pleased with it. I’ve been able to record trails that I walk in the woods, add interest points, and add photos of interesting things to each path. It also records the time and distance of each trail. I hope to go beyond the trails I already know and walk in new places without getting lost! I feel confident that this app will help me to achieve this. My only concern is that if I accidentally swipe the app up while walking, I will loose the maps that were loaded while at home with WiFi. I do not have the ability to reload through my phone service.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Health & Fitness
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Augmentra Ltd
- 217.4 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Czech, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Augmentra Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- USA Topo Map $19.99
- Canada Topo Map $4.99
- Map credit (66 credits) $0.99
- Map credit (153 credits) $2.99
- New Zealand Topo Map $7.99
- S Highlands of Scotland (Southern Highlands & Hebrides) $7.99
- Wainwright Coast to Coast Walk 1:25,000 $19.99
- Lake District National Park $25.99
- West Highland Way National Trail $11.99
- Ben Nevis & Glen Coe and Fort William $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.