One of the 10 best JRPGs available on iOS! -TouchArcade.com
Vigil RPG is a single-player, 8-bit-style, premium RPG, where *every* battle — not just boss fights — is quick, yet involves interesting decision-making.
Take on the role of a solo hero on a quest to discover the hidden cause behind the sudden appearance of marauding bands of goblins and monsters!
Vigil RPG strives to be the ideal pocket-size turn-based RPG, by incorporating these features that you may come to wish that every mobile game had:
• Created by a one-person development team with a design goal of maximum FUN — not maximum monetization! Vigil RPG has no IAPs, ads, stamina timers, or even "leave a review!" nags. If a feature doesn't add fun, then it didn't make the cut.
• Meaningful decision-making in every combat — even vs. non-boss enemies! Every enemy has unique attack patterns and "tells" for a clever player to overcome. Healing is hard to come by outside of town, so employing efficient battle strategy is important and rewarding.
• Fast turn-based combat! Select an action and launch each combat round in a single tap — no multi-level menus to navigate through. Each round takes about one second to play out. Zip through battles quickly against easy enemies; take your time to consider your strategy vs. tougher foes!
• No annoying tropes common to console-port RPGs: No imprecise on-screen D-pad; just tap your destination to move. No save points, or manual saving; your progress is continually auto-saved, even mid-battle!
• Absolutely no Internet connection required! Play from start to closing credits in Airplane Mode!
• Unlike many other mobile game apps, doesn't unduly drain your phone's battery! Vigil RPG is an iOS exclusive, 100% implemented in Apple's native Objective-C language — no bulky 3rd-party frameworks!
VIGIL RPG SPECIAL 5TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION - Huge v2.0 free update!
• Now a Universal app! Play on your iPad, iPad Mini, or iPad Pro in full resolution!
• Beautiful high resolution support for all iPhone sizes, from iPhone SE to the iPhone 13 Pro Max!
• Bo the Bartender has tons of new advice, commentary, and humor! Tap him at the tavern for more tips!
• Added a new early-game boss! What manner of creature awaits you at the Northern Hills farmstead?
• Added local high scores for quests! Challenge your best times from prior playthroughs!
• Redesigned several enemies, making Vigil RPG’s trademark interesting non-boss battles even more interesting!
• Polished and enhanced graphics and sounds! Delight your senses with primitive 8-bit-era media!
• Reworked the hero’s ultimate “Finisher!” combat ability to be even more devastating!
• Added new unique background music for many bosses and dungeon areas!
- Restored the classic app icon. (To inquire about exclusive NFT rights for the old 5-year-anniversary app icon, contact your Vigil RPG app author.)
- Added even more pithy commentary on your gameplay from Bo the Bartender. I just can't help myself!
Ratings and Reviews
Finally! An accessible RPG!
I don’t know how I missed this game all these years, but after searching high and low for an accessible RPG I finally found this, and I’m super happy I did.
This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. I’ve tried so many different RPGs and deleted them for various reasons. But this developer has literally done every single thing right with this game.
It’s super easy to learn. There’s depth without it being overly complicated like too many RPGs are. It saves progress at all times. You can quickly hop in and out whether you have only a minute or hours to play. For busy people like me, this is huge. It means I can play at my own pace and always make some progress.
Also the file size is small, it hardly uses battery, there are zero ads or IAP, and the developer has kept this updated.
Thank you so much, developer. I was about to give up on finding a well done, simple but deep enough, RPG. I thought it didn’t exist. You’ve made my day and this will stay on my phone. If there was a tip option I’d gladly tip you. I really appreciate the rare developers like you who make good games and monetize them fairly. I just can’t say enough good things about this game.
Developer Response ,
Thanks, really appreciate your kind words! It puzzles me that there isn't more of an AUDIENCE for this type of game. But for those few like you who are looking for a game like Vigil RPG, I'm glad it's here for you to enjoy!
Wonderful old school RPG!!
I bought this as soon as I saw the graphics. This is old school all the way - even fown to the single developer working alone, just like those Atari 800 games I loved in the 1980s.
The gameplay is simple (which I love), the goals are clear, the music is GREAT, and the graphics - perfect! I don't like ultra-real 3D scenery except in racing games. Loved the goatee on my character too. I am happy with graphics just like these. Loads of similarities to the original Wizardry (the "stables - free!" Was a giveaway), which again is a great thing. I wish we had the original Wiz for iPhone...
The price is very reasonable, I appreciate the developer's efforts (I read the credits, Jon!) and am going to enjoy finishing this little gem.
Developer Response ,
Hi, Catman! Thanks for the review! You're exactly right: That very first Wizardry game for the PC all the way back in the '80s was a big formative influence on me, and it was fun to get to pay homage to it in Vigil RPG. :-)
Please make more!
One of my absolute favorites. The graphics are budget, & the adventure is on the short side, but this is one of the most advanced & innovative games around.
It's the RPG equivalent of an old school hot rod: strip away all the excess weight, supercharge the engine, then tune & balance it all to perfection. The "engine" in this case is the combat system, and it's a nitro burning beast.
I wholeheartedly recommend Vigil to anyone considering it, and I sincerely hope that AggroMagnet brings more games like this to market.
Developer Response ,
Hey Discostallion, thanks for the super kind words! You pretty much nailed exactly what I was going for when I decided to make Vigil RPG: A fun and engaging combat system -- which is, after all, the bulk of what you spend your time doing when you play any RPG -- and just enough decent graphics, sound, and story around all of that to make it work. There's no sequel in the works as of right now, but if I once again get the itch to play a certain type of game that I can't find on the App Store -- as I did when I wanted to play a game like Vigil RPG, couldn't find one, and decided to make it myself! -- your kind words about enjoying Vigil RPG will be a big motivating factor! Thank you!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jonathan Schneider
- 129.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2022 Aggro Magnet Games, LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.