Vignette allows you to change all those ugly grey circles with initials into actual photographs.
By searching Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Gravatar — no login required! — Vignette will attempt to pair your contacts with their profile pictures on social media.
After amassing all these images, using Vignette's easy to use interface, you can select which avatar you'd like to use, or none at all.
Once you're all set, Vignette will write those updates to your contacts database on your phone. That means in Messages, Phone, and all of your other apps, you see beautiful images instead of ugly initials.
Vignette is free to try, but in order to save the updates to your contact list, you will need to buy the one-time in-app purchase.
Vignette runs entirely on your phone; your contacts stay on your device and are never transmitted *anywhere*. Privacy is a critical factor to Vignette; your trust is important and will not be squandered.
Dynamic Type and VoiceOver are both supported.
Lots and lots of changes in this first post-WWDC update:
- Adds support for Github
- For all services except Gravatar, Vignette will now attempt to match *any* URL in a contact, instead of only looking in Social Profiles. This should allow Exchange users to get the benefits of Vignette, despite not having a Social Profiles field.
- Support mobile version of Facebook & Twitter URLs
- Improved networking detection: Vignette will automatically search on startup if your device is on Wi-Fi
- Close button in the selector screen (which you can reach by tapping on the right-side avatar)
- Similarly, adds accessibility escape gesture to selector screen
- Fixes Twitter images presented at the wrong aspect ratio
- Improved detection of Facebook and Instagram default images
- Fix some potential issues around the speed contacts were being saved
- Backgrounding support [mostly] repaired
- Honors system sort setting, which means Vignette can now sort by given name instead of family name
- Better support for company-name-only contacts
- Open source licenses no longer sort themselves randomly and no longer allow users to edit them
- Improvements for memory usage and thread management
- Layout fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Works great IF you have social media info already in your Contacts
I mean it’s no Fast Text, but it works exactly as advertised. And that’s why it’s 4 stars instead of 5. I recognize that how the app operates (scanning contacts on device only) is a core part of its design and choice of its designer, but for me, this makes it only marginally useful. I never enter social media info for my contacts. So unless this info is in there as a vestige from a prior Facebook sync (when that was possible) or because someone gave me a vCard that included it, Vignette won’t help. Out of 800+ contacts, it identified 19 updates — but I’m certain there are 100s more. Adding in social media info manually is a nonstarter for me (at that point, I might as well update the photos myself). I’d love to see an option to log in to these services to match contacts and grab photos (like how the old Facebook sync worked).
That said, the app is free to download and will show you exactly what it will do for you before you have to pay (which is a great idea, executed well) — so no harm in trying it out!
So simple & easy to use; saves a TON of time
I’m a lawyer with a great memory for my own clients’ names and faces, but I have a terrible memory for the faces and name of the lawyers I deal with. (My practice cover s a very wide geographic area.) I have always tried to find a picture of the other lawyers, but this means going to their websites, trying to find a picture, copying it, cropping it, pasting it, hoping all this works, and wasting as much as five or 10 minutes in the process.
Of course pictures also get upgraded — even my own cousin’s avatar / picture was upgraded, but I didn’t know it until I ran this software. Best five bucks I’ve spent in a long time!
I don’t “get“ the name, but when I ran it before paying for it, and saw what it would do, it became a no-brainer. From one Virginia lad to another, thanks for the great app!
So many new contact photos!
It takes a little bit of work to add social profiles or emails for all of the people in your contacts list, but the payoff is awesome! Having done this painstakingly by hand in the past for just a subset of my contacts, $4.99 for this app was well worth worth the time I would’ve otherwise spent trying to do this myself. Great work, Casey!
Would love to see the following in future updates:
- connect to the Facebook API, so I can select other photos of my contacts from Facebook to save myself from the temporary filters everyone seems to use
- LinkedIn integration, for all my work-only contacts. I’m guessing you could connect to LinkedIn and grab profile photos from there for contacts that I’ve configured a LinkedIn account on?
- Limitliss LLC
- 12.4 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Limitliss LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Save Updates $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.