Viking Screen Recorder is a full-featured screen recording app for Mac OS X. It features a high performance screen capture facility, as well as a built-in video editor and video player that supports all popular video formats.
Just like a Viking -- this screen recorder takes whatever it sees and doesn't tolerate any loss. As such, we have incorporated a "Lossless encoding" mode that uses the FFV1 codec (provided by the FFmpeg project) for 100% lossless, pixel-perfect frames. This codec is used by professionals for video archiving, so you know it's serious business.
And also just like a Viking longship -- this app is fast and nimble.
Of course, lossless encoding doesn't come without a cost, and as such, you pay the iron price (or in your case, silicon) -- lossless encoding does take up disk space.
But -- fear not! We also included the requisite H264 encoding mode that all popular screen recording apps come bundled with to produce standard highly compressed (but still very high quality) .MOV files.
On top of that, we support the advanced Apple ProRes 4444 and 422 formats.
As a bonus, we threw in a GIF encoding mode for free (no sound, of course). This mode allows you to record your screens and upload them to places like Reddit. We can have nice things!
ABBREVIATED FEATURE LIST:
- Support for H.264, Apple ProRes 4444 & 422, MJPEG, FFV1, and GIF formats
- Features a built-in video editor and player!
- Crop, resize, rescale, trim your videos. Save them in any format you wish -- including "web optimized" formats perfect for YouTube uploading!
- It eats its own dog food: the app can read back any videos you record with it, and then some. All major video formats are supported!
- 100% pixel-perfect lossless video encoding provided by FFV1 codec
- Very high performance and minimal system resource usage
- Custom bitrate settings for the sophisticated connoisseur
- Also: Comes with factory easy-to-use quality settings for the impatient among us
- Can produce very tiny files of decent quality -- perfect for the stingy among us!
- Can produce large files of superior quality -- perfect for the generous perfectionists among us!
- Support for multiple displays -- record from any screen you wish either full-screen or by specifying a rectangular area
- Record audio from any input devices on your system (either into separate movie tracks or mixed together)
- Record System Audio (requires the installation of a separate free 'userspace' driver add-on -- link provided in-app)
- Record the whole screen or just a specific screen area
- Optionally can overlay the webcam anywhere you want on the screen
- Ability to define recording areas on top of any full-screen app, including games
- Webcam overlay ALWAYS stays on top -- even on top of full-screen apps such as games
- FPS rates from 1-60 FPS are supported (Full 60 FPS requires a late-model Mac or MacBook Pro, due to the higher performance requirement)
- Record mouse and mouse clicks, if you so desire
- Global HotKey support so you can start and stop the recorder while working in other apps (requires Accessibility permissions be turned-on in System Preferences)
- BONUS FOR GEEKS: built-in debug window accessible with cryptic output only smart people will understand
So what's stopping you? Odin is watching! Download Viking Recorder for your Mac today!
- Fixed volume glitching to MAX for some recording modes. (Now device output volume is preserved properly across recording sessions).
- Support for recording from input devices with various sampling rates other than 44.1 kHz (48kHz, etc).
Ratings and Reviews
App works but has some gltiches since Mojave with audio. Much less reliable. A few suggestions:
1) Needs an uninstall utility for the loopback driver. When I switched machines I needed to figure out how to remove it. Also, the loopback driver should be names properly.
2) Wish I could mute the audio while capturing video. If you mute, the captured video has no sound now. Sone of the other products don't require this.
These are suggestions--app is good but needs Mojave support.
GREAT quality AND easy to use!
This is great! Love the app, superior quality, but there are a few things that need to be worked on.
1. I already have it selected to custom area, but every time i open the app, it doesnt show. So i have to click on “capture entire screen area” THEN click on “custom screen area” for it to show
2. In the box, its a bit hard to set the size you want because there is like a delay when youre resizing it
3. please make it to where there is an option for it to show while recording. For example, when you want to manually end it, it pops up a box and that box gets in the way of recording. Id like for it not to show.
Functional and easy to use
This is the video recording app I've been looking for. It sits unobtrusively in the menu bar and is quickly available when I need it. Intuitive interface and full of functionality like basic editing and a bunch of video formats to choose from. The first time I opened and used the app there was no sound, which was a serious problem since I use it mostly to record musicians. Wrote developer for support and got a very simple fix. All I needed to do was give permission in system preferences for the app to use the microphone. After doing that it works great!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.