Graphics editor for drawing music and sound. Software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS.
Virtual ANS is a software simulator of the unique Russian synthesizer ANS - photoelectronic musical instrument created by Evgeny Murzin from 1938 to 1958. The ANS made it possible to draw music in the form of a spectrogram (sonogram), without live instruments and performers. It was used by Stanislav Kreichi, Alfred Schnittke, Edward Artemiev and other Soviet composers in their experimental works. You can also hear the sound of the ANS in Andrei Tarkovsky's movies Solaris, The Mirror, Stalker.
The simulator extends the capabilities of the original instrument. Now it's a full-featured graphics editor where you can convert sound into an image, load and play pictures, draw microtonal/spectral music and create some unusual deep atmospheric sounds. This app is for everyone who loves experiments and is looking for something new.
* unlimited number of pure tone generators;
* powerful sonogram editor - you can draw the spectrum and play it at the same time;
* any sound (from a WAV file or a Microphone/Line-in) can be converted to image (sonogram) and vice versa;
* support for MIDI devices;
* polyphonic synth mode with MIDI mapping;
* supported file formats: WAV (only uncompressed PCM), PNG, JPEG, GIF;
* Audio Unit Extension (AUv3), Audiobus;
* many new features compared to version 2.3; see the full list: https://warmplace.ru/soft/ans/changelog.txt
Homepage, user manual and versions for other systems:
* iOS 11 support has been dropped; now the minimum is 12;
* now you can load audio files in the following formats: WAV (PCM, uncompressed), AIFF (PCM, uncompressed), OGG (Vorbis), MP3, FLAC;
* auto-repeat in the virtual (on-screen) text keyboard;
* bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Well Worth It!
I have been using the previous version for a while. Decided to get this new version even though its a paid update and not “free” as we have come to expect with iOS apps. Glad I got it just for the improved higher res interface! I haven’t even delved into the polyphonic synth yet but I’m quite pleased that I got this. Thanks!
I bought it, but, why?
If you would have added an import feature that automatically pixelate/granulate a photo and placed it on the grid. Your face would make music. We could add to the image or erase. Any photo could make music… If you would have included this feature you would be very rich by now. Unfortunate, that you have abandoned this potentially fabulous app.
PS, I’m really surprised you missed this concept!
Think twice before upgrading…..
Not sure what to make of this. I just upgraded from the old version and plenty of features and workflows changed enough to make this not a drop in upgrade. There is learning curve. Some features seem hopeful like notes per octave, but getting this or othe features to work is a challenge. And the default tiny sonogram screen that is really hard to expand is annoying.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander Zolotov
- 25 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Alexander Zolotov
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.