"VisionAssist is a very impressive app that, over time, could make portable electronic magnifiers obsolete." - VisionAssist gains 5 stars in review on About.com from assistive technology writer Andrew Leibs.
VisionAssist is a new category of handheld electronic magnifier that utilizes your smartphone. It is designed to help people who are visually impaired with with Low Vision conditions including AMD (age related macular degeneration), Glaucoma, Diabetic Retinopathy, Cataracts and color blindness. Why purchase an expensive dedicated electronic video magnifier when you can utilize your smartphone or tablet that is always with you. Use it on your iPhone for when you are out and about, use it with your iPad for big easy to read images, or connect it wirelessly with your Apple TV and your big screen TV or computer monitor at home for extra large viewing!
If you find that a magnifying glass or glasses do not provide enough clarity, VisionAssist will provide magnification and enable you to improve the contrast to help you read or see what you want to read. If you are in a dark area, you can use the iPhone's flash as a torch to lighten up what you are reading.
It works on all Apple devices with a camera including iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad.
Things that you can do with VisionAssist -
* Read restaurant menus, even in low light
* Review labels on medicine bottles
* Scan through grocery lists and ingredients at the supermarket
* Read newspapers
* Check prices and review receipts
* Work on your favorite crosswords
* Find a number in the phone book
* Look at family photos
* Handy if you forget your glasses
* Save your enhanced images in your Camera Roll
* New user interface where you can choose between buttons and sliders, and you can hide the user interface to get a full screen image
* You can use it wirelessly with your AppleTV or with the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter (available from Apple stores) to magnify an image and show it on your big screen TV or monitor
* You can zoom an image up to 20x and pan it around.
* You can pause or freeze the image if you would like to take your time to study it or adjust the contrast. You can continue to zoom and pan it.
* In low light conditions, you can use the camera flash for lighting up what you are viewing (only available on models with flashes)
* Change the display mode and magnification to best match your vision
* Color Video - provides color video, great for looking at photos and magazines
* B&W Video - provides grayscale video
* Highlights - provides a high contrast image in two colors. You can choose black on white, white on black, black on yellow, and blue on yellow which is more comfortable for certain eye conditions.
* Smart text - uses our advanced algorithms to highlight and enhance text particularly on uneven backgrounds. Great for reading newspapers or books.
* Uses autofocus to provide the sharpest images possible
* Fully compatible with VoiceOver
* Choose to use autofocus or fixed focus
* Stunning on the big screen iPads, works best with iPhone 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, iPad 3, 4, Air and iPad Mini Retina
- bug fix - corrected properties for accessing photo library to save images
Ratings and Reviews
Give a comment
The app has a bug and needs to fix by having new versions of this app keep on updating frequently. If you do this for me I’ll be appreciated l
Good interface, reading image quality difficult to maintain
I like the concept, and this app will be useful in some circumstances. I tried the app first on an iPhone 4, found the best magnification level for me, and switched to white on black. It was usable, but took a bit of care to move the phone over the text and remain in focus as I moved. I tried it on an iPad 2 and it was not as good because the image was less clear and harder to maintain.
The smart text feature with magnification turned up to where I needed it wasn't helpful. The image freezes for almost a second at a time as it processes the image to enhance text, so moving the magnification along over text was jerky. The enhancement was very subtle, and did not have a white on black mode.
Using the light on the iPhone 4 was useful. In a darkened situation where I need to read something, it would be quite useful.
Having just tried a Ruby portable magnifier today, the Ruby was by far much easier to read. The device was designed for that purpose. But at $550, it or something like it might be out of price range, in which case this app could be a fair substitute. I know this app will get more useful as the optics in these devices improve.
Great but needs update
This is a fabulous app that many of my visually impaired students use. However, it needs an update as it no longer works correctly after installing the iOS 8.0.1 or the newer 8.0.2. Since the new operating system you can not enlarge or reduce, freeze an image, etc. Please, please fix this because my students rely on this! Thank you!
- IP Holdings Ltd
- 1.8 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 Slinkyware (IP Holdings Ltd)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.